So many calories, so little time.

Options
How does everyone manage to get in their recommended daily calorie intake? I feel like i've been eating all day. My daily intake is 1,340 and with what i've eaten today i'm only at 951.

Today I've eaten:

Breakfast: 1 slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana
Mid morning snack: 3 strawberries
Lunch: Bowl of beef barley and vegetable soup
Afternoon snack: 3 medium size carrotts
Dinner: 8 perogies

I can't see myself eating much more than that. To me that seems like a lot of food. I don't know how to get down what's recommended and I don't want to end up eating a lot of junk or starving my body. of what it needs.

What do I do?

Replies

• Assilem
    Assilem Posts: 21
    Options
    How does everyone manage to get in their recommended daily calorie intake? I feel like i've been eating all day. My daily intake is 1,340 and with what i've eaten today i'm only at 951.

Today I've eaten:

I can't see myself eating much more than that. To me that seems like a lot of food. I don't know how to get down what's recommended and I don't want to end up eating a lot of junk or starving my body. of what it needs.

What do I do?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Eat the same stuff, just more of it. Eating more doesn't require junk food. It just requires eating more of the same healthy stuff. I eat 1800-2K cals a day without a problem, 1300 is two meals for me LOL :laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    You may just need to do a little research on healthy snacks that pack a little more punch.
    Off the top of my head, almonds have more calories. Maybe mix in a piece of whole wheat bread or crackers with your soup at lunch. Add a few cubes of 50% reduced fat cheese in with one of your meals or snacks, things like that. I know that replacing one of your carrots with a handful of almonds will add about 125 calories to your diet. There's plenty out there, and it's work some times to find it, but it's worth it in the end.

:wink:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I'd add a little more dairy and protein, it seems like you were lacking today in those areas and they are also higher in calories generally and really important for weight loss and maintenance:smile:
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    your breakfast looks good to me, but for lunch maybe try having some toast or a sandwich with the soup, and have something more than perogies for dinner. Maybe a salad, some meat, etc
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Today I've eaten:

What do I do?

Maybe just add a bit here and there. Maybe instead of 3 strawberries, add a 1 cup of strawberries, with lunch have a sandwich or a yogurt. For the afternoon snack, add some hummus or low-fat, ff dip to the carrots, with dinner, add some veggies, etc. It really is pretty easy when you think about it and won't stuff you. Does that help?
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    what about your milk? that has calories and we need milk. what about a yogurt? that has calories. i would have the carrots with a milk product or cut up the strawberries and put it in the yogurt.

we need calcium and it has calories!

I wish i was like you.....i panic when my calories start going away on my little ticker. hahah
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    I agree with everyone. There are alot of 100 or less calorie foods that are good for you. Add them to your meals or eat as a snack.
    Fresh veggys, frest fruit, light yogurt, raisins, small amounts of cheese
    Yesterday I bought Dole pitted dates. You can eat 5-6 of them for 100 cal. They are sooooo sweet. Yum.
  • Assilem
    Assilem Posts: 21
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone. Good tips. I do drink milk, I just didn't add drinks in there. I'll take a drink of milk here and there throughout the day. I try not to drink too much though because I have two young boys and am still buying the Homogenized milk which is super high in fat.

I think I find it hard to eat so much because I really don't like eating. I feel slightly sick when I eat a lot of the time, unless its candy or chips LOL. But I think another problems is that I have to drill that whole eat more to lose thing into my head. I'm just worried that if I eat more my weight will go up and I have been so down on myself for the past 2 years that going up could be devistating to me since I've lost a little weight on my own before coming on this site, and have started feeling better now.

Probably just something wrong with my thinking that I'll have to clear up to succeed.