Feel like crap!, went over calories by 1000+

Replies

• It happens to everyone! You can't beat yourself up about it. Just have fun and get back on track the next day :)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    All the above posters have lots of great advice, but I have one more thing to add. Log what you ate. I thought I had gone way over one day, but when I sat down and carefully logged it all out, I was fine. You may just think that you went way over. I am finding that it is the hidden megacalorie items that I was not aware of that were causing me the most difficulty! I was eating some of those routinely! (The gluten free "oreo" cookies were outrageous, and I didn't even like them that much! And the gluten free chocolate covered pretzels- I was better off with a candy bar!)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Also, Greek food is part of the Mediteranean diet (I know I didn't spell that right) that is actually very healthy!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    I did that just the other day. It was a party, and I ate over by 1800 cals. Put on 1.5lb that week. But hey, I lost it within 3 days because I logged exactly what I ate, I knew I overate and was able to fix it.
    I didn't focus on how bad I was and how much of a failure I was.. just that I had a damned good time (and I'd so do it again), and it wasn't something that would happen everyday. I'm committed to losing weight.. and like you with your maintaining, you'll do it, you'll manage it.
    Go enjoy yourself :D
  • skyhealth
    skyhealth Posts: 38 Member
    I feel so upset and guilty, I know I went over my calorie limit by over 1000 calories today
    I went out for my brothers birthday and had a chicken souvlaki which was covered in oil, and I had a piece of chocolate mousse cake which was heaps:( I feel so depressed, Plus tomorrow I have another birthday party to go to and I know I have to go over my calories because my friend and has cooked greek food especially for me and I can't refuse to eat food someone made just for me:(

I don't know what to do with myself, I feel like i'm going to gain so much weight and my healthy diet has been ruined:(

Whats TDEE? You may still be in a deficit.

My TDEE is 1718 but I have gone over my weekly calorie goal by a lot:(
  • justlana
    justlana Posts: 11 Member
    Dont beat yourself up. Eating is social, and you did create memories with friend and family. Wake up and have a better day tommorrow. This is a journey. :)
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Look ahead, not back.
    And one day of cheating will not ricochet you back to weighing a lot. Takes years to slowly gain weights, and takes a lot of time to lose it. Think of this as a challenge, a bump in the road.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    [/quote]
    Thank you everyone so much! I need to keep telling myself that this is alright and we all make mistakes once in a while. I just hate it how I don't enjoy eating the unhealthy food anymore and I just think about how bad it is when I eat it, so I don't even enjoy it haha. I really need to not be so hard on myself, I think I'll just try my best to forget it and move on. After tomorrow's break I'll try get back on track with healthy eating again!

Realize that it's NOT a mistake! it's actually okay to allow yourself to not look at your calorie count once every 10 days or so. Otherwise, you "plateau". Ideally - you don't want to spend the rest of your life logging every calorie and bite you eat. Like everyone says here .. Portion control. Everything in moderation. You don't have to sit there and eat the whole cake! LOL Just have a small slice .. or if it's pre-cut - eat half and take the rest home for another day.

One day -- you will have reached your goal and you'll be so proud! You should always continue to monitor and maintain you weight .. but don't freak out for enjoying a party, a wedding, vacation .. or holiday! Enjoy and know that if you gain a few pounds during those periods -- you have control and you will manage to take it right off again :wink: YOU are in control! :flowerforyou:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    If you know you are going to go over again tomorrow why not get another walk in or extra exercise so the damage is not so great. It might make you feel better.
  • sadein
    sadein Posts: 40
    You need to allow yourself to "mess up" once in a while. You can't change the past, only the future so, let it go. Last weekend I had the most scrumptious chocolate mousse cake. It's one day, I didn't even log my food that day, I figured, what was the point. Monday was a new day, a new week and I jumped back into my healthy eating.

Don't feel defeated, just keep living your life. You can do it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    You are meant to be maintaining now, your weight is not going to remain a precise number from day to day, it simply does not work that way. It does not work that way for anyone in life, I can guarantee those who have never had to diet aren't worrying if their weight drifts about by a few pounds when they have christmas dinner or celebrate a birthday or have a few days of relaxed eating on the weekend. Obviously you have to still keep an eye on things and try and maintain a healthy lifestyle overall, but to beat yourself up everytime you have occasion to indulge outside your usual pattern of eating will not make for a very happy existence. It will balance out in the end as long as you are back into your regular regime between these more indulgent days. Stressing out about it all the time is more likely to lead you back to where you started and regaining the weight because you are not allowing yourself to enjoy special occasions and evenings out and such things as are a normal part of many peoples' lives.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    in the past I have beaten myself up so many times (esp when I had so much weight to lose... 20+). However, you can't beat yourself up about it. It will not solve anything. Just face it, you messed up, but tomorrow is another day, and you can get back on track. Don't let this affect your goals.... one day is not going to mess it all up...we all have bad days! :) Sometimes I think it's okay to have a bad day...we're only human and sometimes it never really even sets you back! :) Stress is no good for weight loss/fitness goals.... so stop stressing, forgive yourself.... move forward! :) Just moving forward says a lot...so many people would quit after one bad day. :)
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    It's OK! Maybe you can plan a workout later on in week.

I am not the best at it, but I have heard of the three bite rule - if you have some of dessert fine, just have three bites.

It is definitely not the end of things though. This summer I had about six times where I really went off (3 slices of cake, etc..) and I just kept going... it's what happens the other days that matters. Every now and then I think this is natural.

Don't beat yourself up - you are here on this site - just log in and move forward.

Enjoy the next party - just try to use moderation and then refocus the day after - after a few days of refocusing it will be a distant memory and one you hopefully enjoyed (it was a party after all)

Best of luck
    Erik

Good luck!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Wait... who really cares....

One day? Two days? What?

Bottom line is this. What you had today, will you have in the next week? Month? Year? 5 years? If yes... then no biggie, just learn to control portion sizes rather RATHER than cutting out if you think eating will lead to a binge...

If you don't like it then why eat it? If you just don't like the excess, then is it every day excess? If no, then no worries....

I'm supposed be on a 600-800c a day limit for the next 2 weeks, I have exceeded 2000 the last two days. Do I care? Slightly bothered sure, but not really... Drinking kind of outweighs the opinion for me...

I can't stop eating much in 2 weeks because of training, so up till then I'm trying to limit cals to mostly protein, 5g fat and 20g carb however if I go over, no biggie... You should feel the same. If you completely lose your head then well then worry lol...

If you stop it now, then all good and hey you ate yummy, so what is wrong with that? :P

I can stop eating tomorrow if wanted and fast for 2 weeks, but then running will WILL suffer so I do not. I get compliments about my "willpower" all the time, I don't get it. I have a goal, why not go for it? Why make excuses like everyone does? Pride forever whilst pain is temporary...
  • This happens, it usually makes me push harder in my work outs. Also, you should be able to balance it troughout the week!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    It's OK if it happens once in awhile! Just accept that it will happen once in awhile, and forgive yourself. Let it happen, then move on and do better next time! :) Totally OK to eat some Greek tomorrow! If you're worried, just control your portions!

If 95% of the time you're on track, that is GREAT! Nobody can do it perfectly 100% of the time. Enjoy your food tomorrow, forgive yourself—life is too short to beat yourself up and be miserable. :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Last tiI had a 1000+ overage, I spent extra time at the gym my next workout. Don't beat yourself up over one day, just go to the gym and kick *kitten*!

ETA: mine was bacon mac & cheese, best I have EVER made, and I spent 3 hours at the gym the next day. =)
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    1000 calories is 1/3 of a pound. Most scales aren't even that sensitive. You gotta suck it up & move on and don't let past decisions dictate future ones.

One mistake does not a calamity make.

Not even two.

Edit: Forgot to mention - go ahead and eat the Greek food, but there's no reason to have huge portions, and no reason you can't eat light the rest of the day. Just tell your friend that you are committed to living a healthier lifestyle. If your friend isn't OK with that, then your friend sucks.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Chalk this up to a learning experiance and figure out why did you not plan ahead? Have you been eating too little and splurging later?
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    I feel so upset and guilty, I know I went over my calorie limit by over 1000 calories today
    I went out for my brothers birthday and had a chicken souvlaki which was covered in oil, and I had a piece of chocolate mousse cake which was heaps:( I feel so depressed, Plus tomorrow I have another birthday party to go to and I know I have to go over my calories because my friend and has cooked greek food especially for me and I can't refuse to eat food someone made just for me:(

I don't know what to do with myself, I feel like i'm going to gain so much weight and my healthy diet has been ruined:(

When you decided to eat those food from the party, you should've thought of going overboard with your calories. That's just the trade off of having some fun on parties. You had a choice, and you chose to binge. So deal with it and move on. Just continue whatever you're doing and get back on track. Good luck. :)