Help me resist bagels!

Replies

• Try these:

http://kimslightfoods.com/

They're a 110 calories each and as a native New Yorker, they help me with my bagel addiction!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    I would have half of one as long as it's within my goals :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Search online for a pdf file called "Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double-Edged Sword".

Buy a book called Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight.

And then there's this: http://www.gnolls.org/905/mechanisms-of-sugar-addiction-or-why-youre-addicted-to-bread/ (three parts to this series). (there is some science to his beliefs but we still don't know everything and I don't think we ever will.)

Just started a book called "Seeds of Deception". Learning that we have been eating GM foods/grains for a long, long time and we don't know it (scientific research shows evidence of possible health dangers associated with them yet these crops have been approved anyway - you can thank Monsanto for that). They have also managed to cover up the fact that these GM crops are producing offspring with less nutrition than the parent....but I have just started this book.

Good luck. I have to stay away from starches/sugars at all times to be able to resist them. One bite and I could be heading back down that slippery slope into prediabetes (I have managed to reverse this...I think.)
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Here's a good way to resist bagels, which I love too..... I recently discovered that most commercially produced bagels and many breads contain Cysteine or L-Cysteine, which is a common dough conditioner made typically from human hair, ground duck feathers or hog hair. Sounds yummy, doesn't it?

Read More: http://www.vrg.org/blog/2011/03/09/l-cysteine-in-bread-products-still-mostly-sourced-from-human-hair-duck-feathers-hog-hair/
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    won't help right now - but next time you are shopping look for Thomas' Bagel Thins - same bagel flavor, just about 100 calories for a thin bagel - really works on my bagel cravings - and half the calories of two slice of bread!

Exactly what I do! They are super delicious and really take care of my bagel needs.
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Take half but only eat half of that really slow and it's okay to lick the cream cheese off your fingers!:tongue:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE GUY FACTORY WORKERS IN THE MIDDLE TO MAKE THE HOLE?? :wink: :noway: THINK ABOUT IT HARD! :sick:

Is there suppose to be emphasis on the word "IT"?
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Most bagels equal 6-8 pieces of bread..... :sick:
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Can I please have all the bagel halves that you guys are throwing away? I LOVE bagels, especially toasted and thick with butter, and diet or no diet will not be giving them up any time soon :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Most bagels equal 6-8 pieces of bread..... :sick:

Science... or fiction to shame bagel eaters everywhere?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    won't help right now - but next time you are shopping look for Thomas' Bagel Thins - same bagel flavor, just about 100 calories for a thin bagel - really works on my bagel cravings - and half the calories of two slice of bread!

Word! those are awesome.. resist and celebrate by buying a bag of these..and enjoy them here and there throughout the week.
  • meer__kat
    meer__kat Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for everyone's help! I did manage to avoid them... I normally would've had 1/2 or 1/4 as some of you suggested, but I have plans to go out for a drink/appetizers with some friends after work, so I wanted to save a splurge for later :)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    EAT one--- If I want it I eat it and then I do not feel deprived. I am super hungry today so send one my way:laugh:
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    I didn't get a chance to eat my normal breakfast today so I had a bagel with scallion creme cheese this morning. It was about 370 calories altogether out of my 1910 for the day. Why do I feel guilty eating it? Is it THAT bad as long as I'm good the rest of the day like usual?
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    A bagel with cream cheese is over 400 calories.

YOU DONT NEED THEM! You have worked so hard. Why waste it on a bagel?
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    A bagel with cream cheese is over 400 calories.

YOU DONT NEED THEM! You have worked so hard. Why waste it on a bagel?

eh, depends where you go. Bagels really seem to have a wide range of calories. My usual english muffin with one egg, turkey bacon, light butter and slice of cheese with a cup of coffee is about 450 cal...so I'm telling myself a 370c bagel isn't bad.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    A coworker brought in an assortment of NYC bagels and cream cheese today (and left them right across the hall from me - the smell is killing me!) - but I woke up at 5.30 this morning to workout and don't want to spoil my day so early. Help me resist!

Sorry. If I was there, I could tie your hands I guess. :laugh:

If it were me, I'd go ahead and eat half of one and save the other half for the next day. If you don't want to "spoil your day," then you have to find it within yourself to resist. Try considering the reasons why it will spoil your day. Look at your food diary for the day and remind yourself why you are choosing not to eat one. That's all I got for ya! Good luck!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Eat half of a half slowly. Enjoy it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If you just HAVE TO, then rip the doughy guts out and just eat the outer layer with just a schmere of cream cheese!!!

Love it! But mom would say, "Don't play with your food!" :laugh:
    :flowerforyou:
  • jenboggs
    jenboggs Posts: 2 Member
    OMG Im having the same problem right now! someone just brought in a big white cake with custard filling, lemon bars and banana bread. UGH!!! So I just took ONE bite for the flavor and put in some sugar free gum and lip gloss on. and if I dont go into the kitchen...I should be ok...

Man its tough at first! The first 5 minutes is telling myself NO I DONT NEED THAT. IT WONT BE THE LAST TIME I CAN HAVE TREATS.

I think Im going to go into the bathroom and look at myself naked for motivation LOL!!!