Strength Training for Arthritis

Options
LoraF83
LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
My mother-in-law has arthritis in her right hip, right elbow, and lower back. She is significantly overweight and yo-yo diets, with little long term success. She is starting to have mobility issues. They have an incumbent bike at home, but the movement is very uncomfortable for her and she doesn't like to do it.
I'm trying to encourage her to start some strength training - heavy (for her!) weights with low reps. She is of the generation that thinks women need to do low weights with a lot of reps to "tone". My recent successes with heavy lifting have started to change her mind, and she's open to a new program.
I'm looking for suggestions on a routine that will benefit her. I have started doing some internet searches related to this topic, but wanted the advice/input of some of the experts here! This will have to be done at home, with dumbells. Heavy for her right now is 10lbs in each hand. She can't do squats or lunges (yet) due to her hip, but she can bend over (is there some sort of assisted deadlift she can do?), she has full mobility of her arms.

Thanks for your help!!!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump!
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I'm bumping you up so maybe someone will. :smile:
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis, and when I go for several weeks without exercise I really start to feel it. Exercise DEFINITELY makes a difference to arthritis pain! I don't do actual weight lifting, but have been going to a Curves gym for several years. Their equipment allows you to control the amount of pushing/pulling you do with less strain on the joints. I also find for my hip the elliptical machine is the best. Without it after 3 days I can't lay on my side at night. My issue is speed walking, the one joint never gets better from that. Cycling is fine for me. So, I imagine it's completely different for every sufferer, and she needs to find what works best for her. It's hard to get someone who doesn't really want to to try things that are hard for them and not fun! I hope you can help her. I feel so strongly myself that just getting moving is so important to stop pain. Three years ago I felt like I was 100 years old when I got out of bed, now there is only pain if I've been pushing the muscles! Yay! I sure hope you can help her. She will get so much more out of life. I'm glad she's got you to encourage her.