FIVE FINGER SHOES (Worth every penny!)

Options
My daughter and her husband were running in Tough Mudder races and they bought $100 dollar five finger shoes. I thought they were nuts paying that much money for those stupid looking shoes. Especially when Modells had a brand cheaper.
When I decided to take my weight down, I thought I'd run, so I did, in sneakers. The next day I had the worst shin splints! It hurt to take a step. I decided running wasn't for me.
My daughter told me she also got shin splints when using sneakers, but with the Vibram Five Finger Shoes she doesn't get them.
I asked her to borrow her shoes and I then used them for 3 weeks. NO shin splints!
Needless to say, I went out and bought myself a pair and have been using them ever since. You can see them in one of my photos. I LOVE THEM! ( I bought the brand name, not the knock offs, only cause I didn't want to risk shin splints again)

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and I love them. I don't run in them as often as I should though. I actually had to get socks to go with them because I got blisters on my big toes. Imagine the look on the girls face when I was getting a pedicure and my big toes had callouses! :laugh:

They also make awesome water and boat shoes.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Possibly you're wearing one size too small? I never got a blister, not from my daughter's shoes or mine and my daughter's shoes were actually one European size bigger then mine.
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have thought of buyign five finger shoes the store nearest to me sells them from 69.99 (vibram brand) I alwasy thought my size would make them fit awkward currently I'm 5'8 268lbs. I was wondering can overweight people wear them & find them enjoyable. I would wear them for jogging/walking and the shoes I have currently can cause shin splints when jogging and hurt my heel (I have a narrow heel) when walking.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    One of our local fast runners loves them as well. He races barefoot on roads and wears the Vibrams for trail races. (Not a criticism of the shoe) but I will say the shoe allowed me to beat him in one race - the only race I have ever finished ahead of him. It was a 30k trail race, and he wore the five fingers for that. Somehow he got some grit inside the shoe which chewed part of his foot raw. So I passed him as he's walking, now barefoot, with a bloody foot towards the end of the race. But hey, I'm counting it as a win. Gotta take what you can get.
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One of our local fast runners loves them as well. He races barefoot on roads and wears the Vibrams for trail races. (Not a criticism of the shoe) but I will say the shoe allowed me to beat him in one race - the only race I have ever finished ahead of him. It was a 30k trail race, and he wore the five fingers for that. Somehow he got some grit inside the shoe which chewed part of his foot raw. So I passed him as he's walking, now barefoot, with a bloody foot towards the end of the race. But hey, I'm counting it as a win. Gotta take what you can get.

LOL get it in
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I only have had mine for 4 months. I don't really know enough about them to say if they would be good for you or not. Check out their website, or better yet, try them on in a store. They have many different styles. My daughter's are different then mine, but I like them both.