Hello, all

This is my first day at this site. I am hoping to lose 70 lbs this winter. I live in a very cold climate, so I will be depending on videos, an elliptical trainer and Total Gym for exercise. I do go sledding with the kids when it is warm enough. I have a tendency to work out too enthusiastically too soon, so I end up ill or injured. I am trying to make moderate changes this time! I love to cook and the cold weather just asks for baking, so that will be another challenge. Anyway, good luck to all other newbies. I am happy for tips or new friends, so post away...

Replies

• This is my first day at this site. I am hoping to lose 70 lbs this winter. I live in a very cold climate, so I will be depending on videos, an elliptical trainer and Total Gym for exercise. I do go sledding with the kids when it is warm enough. I have a tendency to work out too enthusiastically too soon, so I end up ill or injured. I am trying to make moderate changes this time! I love to cook and the cold weather just asks for baking, so that will be another challenge. Anyway, good luck to all other newbies. I am happy for tips or new friends, so post away...
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Welcome
    I wish you all the luck. I wish I were in a cold climate myself so enjoy it :). I have been here for about a month and doing well so far. Hope you enjoy it as well.

Eve
    jltwedell@msn.com
  • You are so nice to welcome everyone new! I see your name all over. I just thought I would say how impressed I am by your friendliness. :-)
  • Eve23
    Well thank you very much. I just think it is important for everyone to get a welcome and reassurance they are not alone. We all are working toward the same thing. I do it as much for everyones benifit as my own. I am always looking to meet new and interesting people. I must admit though I saw your nic and instantly was envious. I have always wanted to live in Alaska. I myself am in Oregon right now. But I have moved around alot and he nearest I have made it is N. Idaho.

Eve
  • I love Oregon! That is where I would most like to live now, having lived there when I was a kid. (Salem, Goshen, Eugene/Springfield) I have family in Albany, Rogue River and Wilsonville. And, my absolute favorite place in the world is Cannon Beach! So, the envy goes both ways. :-)
  • Eve23
    Very cool. We are actually about an hour south of Eugene/Springfield. I grew up mostly in Medford though. We liked N. Idaho alot and maybe eventually we will get there again. My hubby doesn't do the extreme cold to well. I don't like the rain though. I much prefer the snow myself. At least you can shovel it. He had some cousins just return from AK last year but I haven't ever had the chance. But I will eventually. Hope your doing well so far.

Eve
  • Hey Eve23 and Kayin AK,
    KayinAK, your picture looks like a picture of Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach. It's funny because I used a pic of myself at Cannon Beach. I just joined today and I am in Portland, OR. The winters are pretty mild here so hopefully I can keep walking for my exercise through the season.
  • It is Haystack Rock. My family goes there every chance we get. Well, we tend to go to Seaside more often than we used to, but Cannon Beach is still my favorite. When I was a kid, we went there every other weekend.

I am not too fond of the Medford area. Too brown. I like the green a little further north. Have to say that the Hellgate Jet boat trips are a ton of fun, though. :-)

I don't like to be cold, so prefer the rain to the snow. Though it can get chilly too. I would like to see 4 seasons again.
  • I love Cannon Beach as well. I agree that the more northern coasts are nicer. I've never gone on a Hellgate Jet boat trip. My husband and I will HAVE to experience one.

I'm from the Washington, D.C. metro area and my husband is from Philadelphia. We do miss a drastic change of seasons but we feel that the weather here in Portland still beats the hot and humid summers and brown snow and frosted up windshields that you have to scrape before driving to work in the AM in the winter.

It's so nice to meet new people and help each other with our weight loss/nutrition goals.

THANKS!
    Mia
  • Eve23
    lilmia
    You will definately have to try the jetboats. They are a ton of fun. I haven't been on one in years though. We visited the Portland area this summer to visit my sisters. Lots of fun but I am glad to be in a small town :).

I agree though it is terrific to get to meet new people you might not ever get a chance to meet otherwise.

By the way my pic is not really my pic hehehhe it was actually taken by my brother who lives near Portland but travels all over the place. This is one of his most recent pics taken in Isreal.

Eve
  • Portland is my favorite (larger) city. If we didn't have kids I would love to live there. But I like a slower pace of life while raising our children. My husband and I think about moving into the city one day. We both like the energy of a city. We love music and cafes and concerts and bookstores and trying new things. It would be fun to live where you could walk places. My husband grew up in S. California so part of him really misses that.

My sister works in Corvallis but lives in Albany. She just moved there like last month so I haven't spent any time in that area. I just remember Albany being stinky because of the paper mills when I was a kid. Do they still have those?
  • Eve23
    I think they do. But I have only gone through Albany a few times so its hard to say. We like a slower pace also and a slower pace than we are in even now. But that is the way life goes. Have a good one.
    Eve