Newbie needs advice :))

Options
Hey guys!

I just started to use MFP and I am a bit confused about my daily calories intake. I have to eat around 1700 calories per day (as per my set plan), but with exercise and work (I am working as a cleaner part time to meet the ends, while studying, so I am cleaning hard almost every day for about 2-4 hours) at the end of the day I get around 1000 - 1500 calories left, that I don't use. Should I then adjust my calories intake and eat more, or can I just leave it like that and it won't affect my weight loss and health in long-term? As I have read a lot about not losing weight too fast and making the organism think that I am going into starving mode and thus the necessity to preserve fat reserves etc, etc.

So I just wanted some advice from experienced users about this.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. Are you logging the cleaning as exercise and then having 1000 left after that? How many calories do you actually eat?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You may be overestimating your calorie burn - unless you wear an HRM its a guessing game. I've been working hard in the backyard moving concrete blocks, digging, laying stones and my HRM tells me I burn much less than I would think.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are a cleaner you should have put your activity level as 'active' when you first set up your profile and that would give you a higher calorie goal. If you set this in the first place, you should not be logging your cleaning as well.
  • smichelus622
    smichelus622 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if you need to eat more or less, What does your body tell you. I will say that i find MFP does give you more calories then you actually burn for different things. I also have been told that if you want to loose dont eat your calories you burn. But if you need them to use it on lean protein.
  • Liga24
    Liga24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700 calories per day and I still have those leftover calories left. I know that the exercise calculator can be incorrect and all, but still I have lots of calories to spare.
  • Liga24
    Liga24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK thanks guys for the replies, I will change my activity settings and will see how it goes from there :)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700 calories per day and I still have those leftover calories left. I know that the exercise calculator can be incorrect and all, but still I have lots of calories to spare.

You should not be adding your cleaning as exercise, you should have your settings set to active, which makes allowance for your exercise already.