I Have A Question

Options
During the past week I have consumed a lot fewer calories and alot fewer carbs. I have also been working out, both cardio and strength. And yet somehow I have gained weight? Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have an explanation as to why this may have happened and what I can do to change it?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've just started out - Sometimes your body needs an adjustment period to really get going into weight loss "mode." Just keep eating good food and exercising, make sure you're drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep. Also, make sure you're not exceeding 2500mg/day in sodium - too much sodium can cause you to retain water.

Sounds like you're off to a great start - unfortunately you have to be patient and let your body catch up with your mind!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I had that happen just this past week. I got back to the plan after the holidays and I gained 4 pounds. Mine was due to eating something I am allergic to, beef. Did you try any new foods or eat more of a food you normally wouldn't eat when not dieting? If so that might be a food you have an allergy to. Also if you are eating more fiber it may just be build up in your intestines (okay not pretty but can be true). Can you give us an idea of what you eat on a normal day? Maybe we can help from that.
    Hang in there! The next week I lost 3 pounds so you will lose eventually. You may just be very metabolically resistant to loss. How much do you have to lose?
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    U might be building muscle or ur not eating enough and ur body is holding on to the weight. maybe eat a little bit more calories and see if that helps. But other that that sounds like ur really working hard. Keep it up!!! :happy:
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hi you have possibley gained muscle which weighs heavier than fat, or time of the month can make gain but ul soon lose it if its that, only other option is to take another look at ur calorie intake.

keep going neway it will soon come off again
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    You should focus more on the inches you're losing than the weight. Like the others are saying, muscle weighs more than fat so it's possible that you're losing fat, but building muscle. Keep doing what you're doing and you will see results.
  • mtfisherwoman
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! This gives me some ideas of what to look at.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    If you are eating WAY less as you say, and working out MORE, you might need to rethink... you dont want to put yourself in starvation mode. Slow and steady works best... make sure you give your body enough GOOD fuel to give it the energy you need to work out... otherwise your body will think something is wrong and burn muscle instead of fat, holding onto the fat for the future.

my suggestion is dont weigh yourself more than once a week, or once every two if you can stand it. Your body will fluctuate alot, and that can be discouraging, but if you wait longer you are more likely to see substantial results.

good luck to you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    hi you have possibley gained muscle which weighs heavier than fat, or time of the month can make gain but ul soon lose it if its that, only other option is to take another look at ur calorie intake.

keep going neway it will soon come off again

It actually takes quite awhile to gain muscle - if the O.P. just started exercising/dieting then chances are they haven't gained any muscle yet.

Just don't worry too much about numbers at first - some people take a couple weeks before they really start seeing results.