Using BMR to calculate weight loss

Hi All,
Hope you had a good week of weight loss.

I had a quick inquiry for all you smarty pants out there.

If I want to know if I will lose weight can I use my BMR to calculate it?

I saw a formula that said I could use my calries used- BMR plus calories gained from exercise

My BMR is 1235 so if i eat 1100 calories a day and work out for a 400 calorie burn

1100-1635= -535

So if i did that for 7 days I would lose a pound a week? (3745 cal in total)

Or is my math and my head off?

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    That is way off.

Go to fat2fitradio.com. Find out your CURRENT BMR. It's likely way more than 1200 ish unless you are 4 foot something 90 lbs woman.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    If you are interested in calculating BMR and TDEE and taking a cut based on calories and/or exercise, then check out this link. It's pretty long but straight-forward if you read it properly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Cheers to my fellow Mississauga liver!! I just moved to Milton, but I lived in 'Sauga my whole life.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Also, check out scooby's calculator -- I got the same results as I did using the road map link and it took a lot less work (yes, I am lazy)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Also, check out scooby's calculator -- I got the same results as I did using the road map link and it took a lot less work (yes, I am lazy)

scooby's calculator? As in Scooby Do the cartoon dog?
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member

scooby's calculator? As in Scooby Do the cartoon dog?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

google is your friend
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Sorry, that's off. You would actually eat 1635 calories per day. That's your 1235 BMR plus the 400 earned from exercise.

Your BMR is the basest # of calories your body needs to function - that is if you were in a coma - so you want to eat at least that many calories. So you may wonder where the calorie deficit comes from if you're eating back your exercise calories. Well, good question - that actually comes from the difference between your BMR and basest TDEE, that is the # of calories you'd burn just from walking back and for to your car, bathroom, making dinner, etc. Even if you're sedentary, that's about 250 calories you're not eating per day. According to the ticker on your profile, you don't have much to lose so this would be a perfectly calorie deficit for you as 1/2 pound per week is a good goal with less than 20 pounds.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Thanks for the link, interesting site...
  • XYMF
    XYMF Posts: 4
    thanks guys! I will look into that info. I just got my BMR from this site but maybe it is off?