Listing weight loss as an accomplishment in your resume/CV?

Options

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    No. Most people don't care.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Sure, go for it. It would give them all a great laugh as they pass around your resume at their team meeting.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    As a professional employment counselor, I am saying no. Employers want to know about work skills and experience, and this does not fall into that category. Discussing it at an interview is another story, and would be appropriate IF and ONLY IF you relate it to work skills.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    :huh: Where they do that at?!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Resumes are for professional/relative accomplishments only!

The only non-professional/relative accomplishments I may consider putting on a resume would be things like climbing Mount Everest.

If you were applying for a nutritionist/personal trainer/weight loss coach position, then yeah, put your weight loss on it, but only because it would be relative to the position you were applying for. If you were applying for a position as an engineer, accountant, or lawyer, then don't. They won't care. In fact, if I were hiring someone, and the resume said "I lost 300 lbs!" I would be like "Who the *kitten* really cares?" and throw it out.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I like to include when I'm regular. Employers like punctuality.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MissusLAAC2268
    Options
    Do you think it's a good idea to share this information? I mean, losing weight does require many skills that would be helpful in many jobs like dedication, being detailed oriented (counting calories), hard working (exercise), etc. What are your thoughts?

Congrats to you on your weight loss.
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be "Excellent work. How many of those talents got you up to a high weight in the first place?" Losing weight is a great accomplishment for sure, but most weight gain is through our own inattention and silly choices, so I don't see it as overcoming adversity when you (often) did it to yourself.

I liked the idea people had of mentioning it during an interview, if it is truly brought up in an appropriate way, and admitting how you got up that high to begin with.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not!? In fact, I think you should copy and paste your ticker underneath your signature.:huh:
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    LMFAO! NO! That might be entertaining for someone to see but they'd definitely think you had a screw loose. But that's some great info to share with someone once you get the job/get to know them! :ohwell: Losing weight is a great accomplishment, but not a professional one.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No. If anything it would look out of place on a CV.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that? Can i list that I had my babies without pain meds? NO.

Awesome reply. :laugh:
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would file the resume. Honestly, and even though I am on the tail end of my journey and know how hard it is. If it's on your cv, it gets trashed.

@rml http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

agree.. I would not even consider it serious
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    On that note, losing weight is a nice accomplishment, but in listing this, you are listing that your accomplishment of gaining the weight in the first place.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Another No. Unless you are applying for a person trainer job at the YMCA.
    I've see many "accomplishments/skills" listed on a resume that don't belong.

What should be there varies with how much experience you have. For instance, a fresh-out can put "achieved 3rd degree black belt" in accomplishments because, in the absence of a long work history, is shows they can work hard and stick to a task.
    But I would never expect to see that on the resume of someone 10 years out of school.

I also tend to pass over resumes the show too many different employers. A change every couple years either means they get fired a lot or they lack the stability to stay in one place too long. I'm on the other extreme. I was at one job for 24 years before deciding it was time for another opportunity.

Stick to what is relevant to the job you are seeking.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It was a serious question. I lost a good deal of weight since being here, and even more since I was at my heaviest and wondered if listing weight loss as an accomplishemnt would help. Apparrently NOT lol.

But I must add that I think the effects of losing weight (increased confidence, stamina, better looks, etc) definitely helps when it comes to getting ahead in one's career. Thanks for the feedback

EDIT: A special thanks to those who have experience with reviewing resumes. That was valuable stuff right there. I also appreciated the wise-guy comments.... they were almost all pretty funny! And BTW, I did not put that in my resume. I only wanted to hear from the community on a thought that entered my brain.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's a good idea to share this information? I mean, losing weight does require many skills that would be helpful in many jobs like dedication, being detailed oriented (counting calories), hard working (exercise), etc. What are your thoughts?

Only if you're trying to become a personal trainer or some such.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Best resume I ever had...

A guy applied for a job who had just gotten out of the army...his resume looked something like:

John Smith ARMY STRONG

1998-2010 - US Army - Private First Class ARMY STRONG

School - Johnson Elementary ARMY STRONG
    Smith Middle School ARMY STRONG
    Bob Dole High Shool ARMY STRONG

Summary: I spnte lawts of time in the AMRY STRNOG ARMY. I want a jawb that will use my ARMY STRNOG skills!

ARMY STRONG!

The misspellings were not on my part btw.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Most people are aware of yo-yo dieting, and a potential employer might think you are prime for ballooning up again, and costing him/her more money in lost productivity and higher health insurance premiums.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No but i would put things like events that I completed- If id trained and finished triathlons, mud runs, etc of substance (meaning not an hour long 5K turkey trot) I would put that on there. Shows Im healthy and active and setting/working toward/reaching goals OUTSIDE of work- which carries over to it. A+ me.