Aloe Vera Flesh

Options
Has anyone here used it in smoothies or other foods? I used to drink the juice on occasion, and today started adding an inch square to my smoothie to help with indigestion… Anyone have experience with this?

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am talking about fresh aloe plant leaves. I bought a huge aloe plant yesterday for this purpose. The taste is mostly covered up, but one large gulp gave me a gag reflex...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i have a plant in my kitchen, i use it on cuts and scrapes.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued...bump for later. Aloe in smoothies?!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I was ging to buy some cold processed aloe juice, but read about consuming the fresh flesh for the same benefits. I figured that it would be best to go for the unprocessed fruit rather that mass processed juice… Interestingly, I have absolutely no indigestion right now. Not sure if it is coincidence or not. I should know soon. I cut and froze 7 servings of it (app 1 inch squares of flesh). If I do not have any indigestion today, I will be nearly convinced of it's efficacy.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I have also used it for that since I was a kid!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I do believe this is working. My indigestion has strongly dissipated… not disappeared. Not sure if it is just calming down or if it is the aloe yet. I will make another weeks worth of cubes when I finish the ones I have, and then make a better call. So far so good!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    So far this is NOT working for my indigestion… tomorrow will be day 7. But, it has fixed some skin issues. It has caused some scar tissue that I have had for over a decade to become much less of an issue, and it has also nearly gotten rid of this strange bump that was on my forehead for a few years now. This is from consuming the aloe flesh in my smoothies. It is the only new thing that I have been doing (besides the creatine I added a few weeks ago, and it is not the creatine). So, this is interesting… still not done trying it for my indigestion. If it does not work, I will try the cold processed aloe juice and keep all updated!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a aloe vera drink. It had the chunks of aloe in it. Really good and it did wonders on my digestive system.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Well, my indigestion is pretty much gone now. I can eat foods that used to really make my indigestion flare horribly. It seems to have been a success!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I am forwarding my experiment. I have 2 weeks worth of aloe prepped for smoothies. Last month I started taking cayenne pills for borderline high blood pressure. My indigestion flared up… or so I thought. I quit using the cayenne, but I fear I may have induced an ulcer. The burning is in a much deeper place… right where my stomach is (not where my abs are). I may actually go for a whole month with the aloe. I know the juice should not be taken for more than a month as supposedly the body becomes immune to the good effects of used for a prolonged period. Anyway, I digress. I am going forward with my experiment, and I will keep you all updated that wish to know about this trial...
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Day 6, and that indigestion is gone as of today. Still going forward. I stopped coffee and vitamin pills as well during this time.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    This topic came up a few weeks ago. You need to carefully research aloe vera and its side effects. There are some serious risks.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aloe-vera/NS_patient-aloe/DSECTION=safety
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I have. Not worried. Not doing enough for ill effects.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    That www you linked to is not quite correct. I know for a fact that aloe heals wounds. It also is healing to the digestive tract. Surgical wounds are where you must refrain from aloe use, as in such deep wounds it could cause the healing process to alter.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You are prepping the aloe ahead of time, how are you stabilising it? Are you using inner or whole leaf? Even tony amounts can trigger an allergic reaction and this can occur at any time, there are no confirmed reports to stabilised inner leaf gel AFAIK.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    You are prepping the aloe ahead of time, how are you stabilising it? Are you using inner or whole leaf? Even tony amounts can trigger an allergic reaction and this can occur at any time, there are no confirmed reports to stabilised inner leaf gel AFAIK.
    I filet the flesh and freeze it.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    In Asia, it is diced and put into yogurt with a little sweetener.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's funny I came across this today, I just bought an aloe leaf to try. I watched a movie on netflix about the benefits of that and wanted to try it for myself. I found a recipe with a square of flesh blended with some o.j. in the morning, gonna give it a try.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    i have a plant in my kitchen, i use it on cuts and scrapes.

this is what we do..^^^
  • Topher1978
    Options
    It's funny I came across this today, I just bought an aloe leaf to try. I watched a movie on netflix about the benefits of that and wanted to try it for myself. I found a recipe with a square of flesh blended with some o.j. in the morning, gonna give it a try.
    It tastes bad, just an fyi. I would go for a full on smoothie, especially if you froze it. It will not "blend" well with a liquid unless you have a super blender that cost a ton of $$$.