Losing weight while toning up

I have been trying to lose weight and just continue to gain. I got married in March at 133 lbs which is already over my comfort zone. It is now 7 months later and I am 151! I have never been this big in my life, and I don't understand why I'm gaining so much. It's to the point that I think I have a thyroid problem. I know one issue is that I do not eat enough calories. I am trying to increase my calories to at least 1400 calories a day but I have such a small appetite that it's hard for me to even hit 1200 calories. Some days my calories are so low, other days I eat a bunch of junk. Maybe the problem isn't thyroid, but just a sluggish metabolism from not even enough calories. I'm trying to workout at least a few days a week now but I'm worried I will tone up but not see the # on the scale budge much. I know the # on the scale shouldn't be so important, but I want to be about 120 lbs. That's where I'm more comfortable. I have been so concerned about this that I started keeping a food log of everything that goes in my mouth, even a nibble here or there. Most days I have eaten something bad, even if it's just a handful of M&Ms, but more than anything it seems that my meals are too restrictive so that's why when I do eat a normal size meal, I immediately gain weight. I just know that muscle is more dense than fat so I'm afraid that if I tone up my muscles (I'm not trying to bulk up), that I will lose some body fat but still same roughly the same weight. It's to the point I just want to stop eating completely but I know that that'll just slow my metabolism even more, I'll lose more muscle mass, and it's just going to make me look even more flabby. I want to be a strong healthy 120 lbs but I don't want to be "skinny fat".

Replies

• Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    When do you eat those 1200 calories in the day? Sometimes when you eat can make a big difference. The providers I work with at our clinic recommend eat every 2-3 hours, and to begin the day with breakfast around a half hour after you wake up. It gets your metabolism going, which makes you burn more calories. EDIT: It also affects how your body stores fat/burns fat. So you may be storing more calories than your would normally because your body isn't on the right schedule, if that makes sense.
  • I eat breakfast every day. It's either oatmeal (old fashioned 100% whole wheat oats) and fruit, plain Greek yogurt & fruit, or once in a while scrambled eggs on a whole wheat wrap or english muffin (I hate eggs so it's only about once a week I choke this down - and I need a lot of hot sauce to do it!). I try to eat every 3 hours or so. I work 3 12-hour shifts in a hospital so I'm awake much earlier on those days, home much later for dinner those nights, and not always able to get lunch at the same time. Most days one snack is a low fat cheese stick, the other a piece of fruit. When I have oatmeal for bfast, it's been just 1/2 cup which is not enough considering I run around a lot of the time I'm at work, and on days I'm off I work out. When I do work out mornings, I have bfast an hour before then have either a green smoothie or a slice of whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp no salt added pb on it.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    When do you eat those 1200 calories in the day? Sometimes when you eat can make a big difference. The providers I work with at our clinic recommend eat every 2-3 hours, and to begin the day with breakfast around a half hour after you wake up. It gets your metabolism going, which makes you burn more calories. EDIT: It also affects how your body stores fat/burns fat. So you may be storing more calories than your would normally because your body isn't on the right schedule, if that makes sense.
    Timing means nothing. She could be eating her 1200 as three 400 calorie meals, or six 200 calorie ones, it would make no difference.

My advice to the OP: you're most likely eating too little and your diet is too restrictive so to make up for that you binge on other days (likely eating 3000+ on those days because junk food adds up FAST). Theres no need to try to survive on salads all day to lose weight. Eat what you LIKE. Eat whats EASY for you, so long as the MAJORITY is healthy. A handful of M&M's isn't terrible if it truly is only a SMALL HANDFUL & not the whole bag. Plan out your meals so that they're things you can easily prepare, you'll enjoy, AND you won't feel restricted eating. Find balance, so it can be a lifestyle change. & don't aim for 1200 a day, aim for 1500 at least. and focus on eating as much lean protein as possible, as well as doing your toning/strength training exercises.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    I think you're confusing being healthy with a number on the scale.

You say you don't want to be "skinny fat" but contradict that by saying you're worried if you "bulk up" (which you won't, it's very hard for women to get bulky) and have more muscle than fat you'll weigh too much.

If you have more muscle than fat you likely will weigh more but you'll be leaner, thus smaller, thus healthier.

I don't think you can "immediately" gain weight by eating a "normal size" meal, whatever that means. And "just a handful of M&M's" could be a lot of calories, and lots of sugar which for some people translates to more body fat.

I suggest just keeping it simple - eat meals of mostly whole foods that you make yourself, stay away from sugar and processed foods, exercise moderately incorporating cardio & strength training, drink lots of water and get lots of sleep.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    There is no way you would be able to gain 31 pounds of muscle so you will see the scale move toward your goal as long as you are eating the right number of calories and working out, even if you are doing very heavy weights.