Weight Loss Pills

Options
Has anyone ever taken any weight loss pills and seen results?
I'm not sure if I should take them or not! I'm eating healthy and I'm exercising regularly.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever taken any weight loss pills and seen results?
    I'm not sure if I should take them or not! I'm eating healthy and I'm exercising regularly.
    Any suggestions?
    My opinion is that if you want to remain at your goal weight for life, you need to adjust your lifestyle to eating a proper diet.
    Do you want to take those pills for life? I wouldn't.
    Stay at a healthy calorie deficit and learn to eat properly. More of a life plan for me.
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if they actually work too....
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If there was a pill that worked, everyone would be thin!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Life style change is the best way...and no dieting........change you, change your life.........forever.
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I took Dr. prescribed pills a few years ago and lost a very significant amount of weight on them. Once I stopped taking them it was very hard to stay focused and I eventually gained weight back (almost half).

They are a great "quick fix" but you will suffer in the long run by taking them. If you are already eating right and exercising I would strongly recommend that you stay away from pills.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Unless prescribed by a doctor I would consider them a worst case scenario. They'd certainly have to be backed up with good eating and exercising anyway.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    Eff that ****. Why would you want to put those chemicals into your body? How about side effects? No thanks
    Don't look for a quick fix, this should be a lifestyle change not a diet. For a long and healthy life not a deadline to a smaller size.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Which pills are you considering? Something YOUR doctor prescribed? or something seen on TV or internet? It is one thing if your MD prescribes something for a medical reason and has rational explanation for doing so but it is another thing to buy something advertised on TV or internet (including "Dr. Oz"). Anything promising "easy" or "fast" weight loss are just a gimmick to steal your $$. The only way to lose weight is to change your eating habits--lower your calories, choose nutritional foods compared to "junk" food--and increase your activity.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am not gonna lie and say I have ever tried them because I have. I use to use Xenadrine with Ephedra back in 2006 and I lost a ton of weight . I weighed 180 when I started and ended up losing 25lbs in 3 mths. With dieting and not a lot of exercise.

The side effects were bad at first(fast heart rate, insomnia and nausea)after a week I felt better. Needless to say I gained tall the weight back in 2 years.

It works but its not a permanent solution. I now am doing it the right way with regular exercise and making better choices with my foods. I need to be able to maintain a healthy lasting lifestyle but like I said if you need to lose weight fast it works but I would not recommend it.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I take a green tea supplement 1-2 times a day, early in the morning and then again at lunch, simply because I am a caffiene addict and it does suppress my appetite. Everyone is different. Do I rely on it? Not at all. But does it seem to make my dieting a bit easier to live with for the short term? Yes. I don't believe in dropping 30 bucks a bottle for some of the stuff they sell, this sells for about $7 dollars and usuallys lasts me 2-3 weeks since I don't use the full dosage every day.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Oxyelite pro worked for my husband. It suppressed his appetite a lot! He lost 40 lbs. on it and has kept it off but he also worked out a lot too.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is pretty adamant about not promoting that kind of thing if I'm not mistaken? *edited to add here, I haven't been on MFP very long, but I think I remember them saying something about it*

But for the record, I've tried a lot of different things including diet pills and most of them didn't really do crap for me -- I didn't want to change how I ate, I wanted them to do the work.

The one that DID work, when I stopped taking it, the weight came back AND some.

I think I just read that there were recently 2 approved by the FDA to be available by Rx. One has phentermine, I believe. Not sure about the other. Those are obviously something that if you wanted to consider, you'd have to talk to your doctor about and they'd have to agree.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking any pills and I'm losing a steady 2 lbs/week.

If you're not losing the weight you have everything set up for, you're doing it wrong. If you need pills, you're definitely doing it wrong.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If weight loss pills worked would there be a single fat person in the world?
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to? According to your ticker...you've already lost 15 lbs... and you only joined MFP a month ago? I would say thats pretty good progress. You didn't get that overweight overnight, so you can't get that "healthy" overnight either. It's a journey and a lifestyle change. Stick with eating right and excercising and you will get to where you want to be---- the right way!
  • BakedGoodsLover
    BakedGoodsLover Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't do it - they don't work long-term. Speaking from experience.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yes Ive taken weightloss pills and had results.... if by results you'll accept heart palpitations, sickness, fainting and stomach cramps.
    Steer WELL clear, unless you get the 'fat binders' prescribed by your doctor.
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    I tried Hydroxycut once and became soooo SICK!

Never again! I think using this site you figure out that the weight does come off. It comes off slow and steady. It shows you how to eat. To be at our weight we aren't doing it right.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    back when I was in college (read: young and dumb) I took some diet pills for a little while. They gave me heart palpatations and made me feel like a tweaker (aka: someone taking recreational drugs). I drank water incessantly, was not hungry and probably lost 5 pounds over a month or two.

A few months later - the pills (Hydroxycut with ephedra) were taken off the market because the heart palpatations I felt resulted in fetal heart attacks for others. (You can still buy Hydroxycut - but it no longer has ephedra in it)

I was lucky I didn't really hurt myself - and for what? FIVE STUPID POUNDS!

Don't do it!
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Exercise and diet are the best way to lose weight. Just keep doing what you are doing. When it comes to losing weight slow and steady wins the race everytime.