Advice needed on chosing a diet plan

Options
Ok to give the basic details: I am 22 years old, weight 61.3 kg at a height of 5'2". I started Zumba, going at twice a week, and now have decided to increase it to six days a week. And I like what my body is becoming:). I am what you would call skinny-fat. I am just on the upper limits of normal weight for my height.

I have decided to adopt a diet plan because both diet+exercise are essential. I am Asian and have decided to cut down on the curry and rice. But I think a diet plan would help more: and was debating which diet plan would be best for me. I was thinking of trying out the Atkins diet.

Any help to choose a good diet plan would be really appreciated:)!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok to give the basic details: I am 22 years old, weight 61.3 kg at a height of 5'2". I started Zumba, going at twice a week, and now have decided to increase it to six days a week. And I like what my body is becoming:). I am what you would call skinny-fat. I am just on the upper limits of normal weight for my height.

I have decided to adopt a diet plan because both diet+exercise are essential. I am Asian and have decided to cut down on the curry and rice. But I think a diet plan would help more: and was debating which diet plan would be best for me. I was thinking of trying out the Atkins diet.

No diet is good.. They are all too low calories and will lead to loss of lean body mass. What you should do is simple, learn what to eat to make it a change in lifestyle. Plenty of fruits, veggies, fish and lean meats is a good start. Also, since you don't have much weight to lose, cut your deficit to 1/2 lb per week and eat 50% of your exercise calorie or just set your account to moderately active since you will consistently work out. Now my biggest suggestion would be to drop 3 days of zumba and replace them with height weight training (6-15 reps max) as WT is more effective at cutting fat. And ideally, fat loss is what you are looking for. I am guessing you want more definition?

ps- I fixed your age, since it said you were 2 not 22.

pss- I ran your numbers, and I would have you eat 1750 calories a day and NOT eat back exercise with 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.
  • Brj82382
    Brj82382 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would love for someone to "run my numbers" and tell me my should be calories!
    CW:133
    GW: 119
    5'6

Was at goal 4 months ago, but completely lost it with binge eating and seriously trying to get it back under control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ubbau2715
    Options
    iam the same i eat a asian deit i dont eat pork which cuts out lots of things its hard work
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would love for someone to "run my numbers" and tell me my should be calories!
    CW:133
    GW: 119
    5'6

Was at goal 4 months ago, but completely lost it with binge eating and seriously trying to get it back under control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is your workout routine? Also, do you know your body fat? If you don't, you are erroneously picking a goal weight which might not be unattainable unless you lose muscle.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

What is your workout routine? Also, do you know your body fat? If you don't, you are erroneously picking a goal weight which might not be unattainable unless you lose muscle.

how do you run your numbers? Why is her goal unattainable?
    It seems a bit low to me for her height but I'm no expert. I am 5'2", 38, and 177 but my goal is 120.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would recommend cutting out bad carbs like you said with Atkins, and putting "good" ones into your body instead. Try to stay away from anything white, and if you feel really ambitious then you can cut out most breads, pastas etc. It really helps you feel better! My best advice is to cut out anything unnecessarily processed and just focus on thegood foods going into your body. good luck!
  • psuLemon
    Options

It seems a bit low to me for her height but I'm no expert. I am 5'2", 38, and 177 but my goal is 120.

I am not saying her goal weight is unattainable, I am saying that it's possible she is over stretching. Read the link below and it tells you how to determine your weight goal..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=How+to:+Determine

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you read all these, then you should be well diverse.
  • 44red
    44red Posts: 2
    Options
    I also need help because I am gaining on this program and feel like giving up. So if some one could tell me how many cals I should be eating and how many cals to exercise each day would be greatly appreciated.
  • bonymaroni
    Options
    Read "Eat to Live". Dr. Furhman was on Dr. Oz a few weeks ago and presents a life plan for nutrition, not a diet. I started a week ago and feel so great and full of energy. Bonus, I lost 3 pounds in the first week.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would recommend cutting out bad carbs like you said with Atkins, and putting "good" ones into your body instead. Try to stay away from anything white, and if you feel really ambitious then you can cut out most breads, pastas etc. It really helps you feel better! My best advice is to cut out anything unnecessarily processed and just focus on thegood foods going into your body. good luck!

dammm there goes the milk and eggs!
  • bonymaroni
    Options
    Depends on your sex, height, current weight and activity level. There are calculators online to figure out what your daily nutrition goals should be.
    I read once that you should multiply your GOAL weight by 10 to get your daily calorie count. For instance, if you want to weigh 120, you should eat 1200 calories. If you are a man and want to weight 180, you would eat 1800 calories. It actually matches the calculators I have found online. Your activity level factors in as well because the more active you are, the more calories you need or your body will slow metabolism and you will plateau all the time. Hope this helps.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Given that you aren't that overweight, just cut back modestly on carbs, fat and sugar and exercise regularly and you should reach your goal in 3 or 4 months.

I have an observation about the Atkins diet. I know it works in the short term, but every person I have seen who did
    Atkins gained the weight back very quickly when they went off the diet. When I say quickly, I mean really quickly. And, everybody I know who did Atkins did eventually go off the diet.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

thank you!

I am not saying her goal weight is unattainable, I am saying that it's possible she is over stretching. Read the link below and it tells you how to determine your weight goal..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=How+to:+Determine

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you read all these, then you should be well diverse.
  • RainbowBrightww23
    RainbowBrightww23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Hey! I am 23, between 5'3 and 5'4 and started at almost exactly your weight 3 weeks ago! I am doing the 30 Day Shred and following Weight Watchers (I know this isn't a popular plan around here, but I signed up 3 weeks ago and bought 3 months so I figure I should use it), and am now down to 126/7ish. I'm certainly no expert on weight loss/exercise, but I am learning a lot from these boards. If you want to support each other and discuss progress/challenges, friend me!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Don't use a diet plan, because you can never stick with them your entire life and when you start eating normally again, you will gain a lot of weight back.

Focus on cutting out processed, sugary and fatty foods and on learning new healthy habits that you can actually stick with.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Depends on your sex, height, current weight and activity level. There are calculators online to figure out what your daily nutrition goals should be.
    I read once that you should multiply your GOAL weight by 10 to get your daily calorie count. For instance, if you want to weigh 120, you should eat 1200 calories. If you are a man and want to weight 180, you would eat 1800 calories. It actually matches the calculators I have found online. Your activity level factors in as well because the more active you are, the more calories you need or your body will slow metabolism and you will plateau all the time. Hope this helps.

If you are active its a different multiplier... its more like weight x 14 or 15.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    diets don't work... learn to eat properly with moderation and portion control. the best thing i ever did was see a nutritionist.