Desk Jobbers, How do You get 10,000+ Steps/day?

Options

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My lab is in another part of the suite I'm in, so instead of taking my laptop down there to work I walk back and forth while executing tests. I don't have a pedometer though, so I have no idea how much I'm walking.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    There's my morning sprint to the train as well as my afternoon trek to the train....and then I park at the back of that parking lot
    I take the stairs between floors
    I use the restroom on another floor
    I always book meetings in other people's offices or the meeting room farthest away from me
    Treadmill, elliptical
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs to a different floor to use the rest room, that adds steps and floors.
    Check with your insurance company for deals on health club memberships. Blue Cross offers access to a huge network of health clubs for $25.00 per month under their "Prime" network.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fit bit ... but my pedometer does pick up most Leslie Sansone steps. The "walking" is actually (at least) for different moves: side-to-side steps, knee lifts, and kicks (these are the ones that don't register).

Otherwise ..... these DVDs are usually set up in terms of "miles" .... depending upon your speed ... a mile is 15 - 20 minutes. The longer 20 minute mile includes a warm up & cool down ... overall it's a slower pace.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs to a different floor to use the rest room, that adds steps and floors.
    Check with your insurance company for deals on health club memberships. Blue Cross offers access to a huge network of health clubs for $25.00 per month under their "Prime" network.

Thanks for that tidbit of information, I'm going to have to check to see what I can find out.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    A Leslie Sanson Walk at Home DVD in the evening. Work up to the 5-miles in one hour walk and you've got it. Or do the two or three mile walk just to finish off your steps.

I shoot to average 10,000 steps a day, which is a little easier. I take 25,000+ step hikes most weekends which lets me be a little lower on weekdays.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you drink enough water, those steps will taking you back and forth to the restroom every hour!!!

I found I started gaining weight when I moved from a laboratory into an office job... Here are the things I used to do to make sure to get my steps in:
    -Walk to the cafeteria and back, even if I brought lunch from home and ate it at my desk.
    -Something to be mailed or picked up from the security desk? I'd always volunteer to get it.
    -Have something for someone else in a different department that could be dropped into interdepartmental mail? Walk it over to them.
    -Morning/afternoon stretch break? Up and down the stairs a couple times.
  • cepeery
    Options
    Ever thought about trying ZUMBA. Anyone can do it and since you're moving the entire time the steps just keep racking up.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions! My building is actually only 1 floor so taking stairs at work or going to other floors for the bathroom and whatnot is not an option. Ironically, my office is actually directly across from the ladies' room and right next to the kitchen so I don't often even get the excuse to walk around the rest of the office much... and when I do there are 2 candy dishes waiting in the reception area as a temptation.

I've tried finding a new job but there isn't much out there in my area that pays as well per hour as what I make now and I can't really afford to take a job making $10 or $12 per hour without making some BIG sacrifices at home (already got rid of cable, downgraded internet, etc). So I'm stuck here until something better comes along.

On gym memberships, my company actually pays for half of the monthly membership fee up to $60/mo ($30 for them) so a gym membership is affordable but I have yet to find a gym I really like in my area. I'm kind of gym-phobic because I live in a very close-knit area where everyone knows everyone and I prefer to remain nameless when working out... last thing I want is my quick hour after-work trip to the gym to turn into 2 hours because a neighbor, high school classmate, etc. cornered me into conversation (I actually also avoid certain grocery stores for this reason).
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hit it hard at the gym...

I've been considering a gym membership (haven't had one in 2-3 years)... Haven't found a gym that makes me swoon though. Most around my area are overcrowded chain gyms and I'd be working out during peak after work hours.

Take what you would spend on gym fees and gas traveling to the gym and buy a treadmill. It will pay for itself really quickly and all you need to do is clean out a corner of a room to fit it. There are a lot of advantages to working out at home; privacy, you can fit in a workout to meet your schedule, and no waiting for the machine to become available.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm at a desk for 12-16 hours a day sometimes. I eat properly and train hard in the gym. That's it. However I have switched to a standing desk. Much better
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I hit it hard at the gym...

I've been considering a gym membership (haven't had one in 2-3 years)... Haven't found a gym that makes me swoon though. Most around my area are overcrowded chain gyms and I'd be working out during peak after work hours.

Take what you would spend on gym fees and gas traveling to the gym and buy a treadmill. It will pay for itself really quickly and all you need to do is clean out a corner of a room to fit it. There are a lot of advantages to working out at home; privacy, you can fit in a workout to meet your schedule, and no waiting for the machine to become available.

I have a treadmill... actually been thinking about saving up for a rowing machine because I find the treadmill so difficult to tolerate for any length of time (boredom primarily, if I have to be honest).
  • melsmith612
    Options
    Ever thought about trying ZUMBA. Anyone can do it and since you're moving the entire time the steps just keep racking up.

I have Wii Zumba Fitness 2 at home and I can honestly say that I wish I had spent the money I spent on that on some salsa lessons instead. I HATE my zumba game, it's impossible to keep up without bumping into furniture, stepping on the dog, etc. I'm assuming classes are easier or it wouldn't have become so popular but the game is SO frustrating.
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my fitbit every day since April of this year. Since I have a sedentary desk job, I find that the only way I can get in my 10,000 steps is as follows:

weekdays: 2 1/2 mile dog walk every morning and 2 miles in the evening. If I know I won't be able to do one of my walks because of inclement weather, I make sure I throw in a trip to the biggest grocery store in town and walk every aisle...sometimes more than once since I am so forgetful, lol. The steps to the copy room downstairs at work also get used quite a bit.

weekends: lots of housework which involves four sets of stairs and some yard work. Add a run to the store and park as far away as possible and I will always hit my goal. T.V. on the weekend is the worst culprit for me in defeating my goals. If I must watch something...like a sporting event, I turn the t.v. up and walk around picking/straightening up the room.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I bought a FitBit Zip a little over a week ago and the default "steps" goal is 10,000 but I have yet to break 7k in a single day! I work in an office and 5 days/week I'm literally sitting for 99% of 8+ hours (including my 25 minute each way commute). Any other office workers out there care to share how you upped your number of steps/day?

A couple of important things to note when making suggestions to me:
    - My office is in the ghetto so walking on my 30 min. lunch might help my steps/day but it'd also be dangerous.
    - My office is very small, fewer than 20 employees total. Walking around aimlessly is frowned upon.

I haven't always met my goal of 10,000 steps, either... but, I'm still trying. I would have suggested going for a walk during your break... but, you said that would be dangerous (or frowned upon). If you can't do that, though, do some step exercises. That's not exactly walking... but, it gets you moving, and it counts torwards your "steps" on the pedometer. Also, take stairs everywhere there are some. This increases your steps, rather than taking the elevator. I've even paced back and forth in a circle around my house.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my office isn't exactly in the nicest area - but in broad daylight I really don't see the problem with going for a walk.
    i will find excuses to make myself go for a walk - need to go to the atm for cash, or meeting a friend further downtown for lunch, or simply choosing a place to buy lunch that is a few blocks away.

Also, if you are a few floors up, use the stairs instead of the elevator whenever you go up or down.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch and then run 4-5 miles when I get home. This usually puts me at 15000 steps per day, sometimes close to 20. I know the bad neighborhood thing though - I live in a bad neighborhood and I don't run after dark.

I wouldn't walk more than from one building to the next in this neighborhood in daylight... imagine a wharf, scrap metal recycling yard, strip clubs, a homeless shelter, and free medical clinic all within about 1/2 mile. It's a fairly regular thing for cars parked in front of our building to be hit or have their license plates stolen. I don't even wear my complete wedding band set to work because it'd make me a target.

I'd be looking for a new job!

That's exactly what I was thinking.
  • llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps a day seems to be a lot especially for people in an office setting (any office), knowing most people don't just work 9 to 5 (or basically 8 hours a day) plus commute time... I am hitting around 6500 to 7500 a day and thats with a 45 minute treadmill work out... the problem is, that these folks that come up with these goals don't always understand the realities of and average persons life Image how hard it would be to do with a couple of kids... The key to any success it to have goals that are attainable based on your life style not the other way around (in most cases). I live in the real world and while I have dedicated my self to loosing weight and becoming healthier I have set my goals to the reality of my situation so I will not be hitting 10,000 steps a day but I will be loosing at least 1 pound a week and eating healthier and exercising daily...

I know this may sound like a rant but sometimes a little perspective is needed...
  • melsmith612
    Options
    10,000 steps a day seems to be a lot especially for people in an office setting (any office), knowing most people don't just work 9 to 5 (or basically 8 hours a day) plus commute time... I am hitting around 6500 to 7500 a day and thats with a 45 minute treadmill work out... the problem is, that these folks that come up with these goals don't always understand the realities of and average persons life Image how hard it would be to do with a couple of kids... The key to any success it to have goals that are attainable based on your life style not the other way around (in most cases). I live in the real world and while I have dedicated my self to loosing weight and becoming healthier I have set my goals to the reality of my situation so I will not be hitting 10,000 steps a day but I will be loosing at least 1 pound a week and eating healthier and exercising daily...

I know this may sound like a rant but sometimes a little perspective is needed...

I like your perspective, makes sense really to set goals that are more realistic instead of trying to alter your whole life around reaching an arbitrary number every day.

I'm also wondering if bringing my treadmill into my bedroom (instead of my basement) might help me get on it every morning instead of grumbling about the dust and spiders in the basement. :tongue:
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    At your break, go outside and walk around your parking lot, do the perimeter. Then you are not going off to far where you feel threatened (I hope) and just mention to everyone in your office....Hey, I want to walk you would be surprised. Others may not want to ask, or once they try it a few times they get hooked on it. One of the girls in my office said to me one day, hey I will go for you on one of your walks. I was fairly new and walking on my own. People in the office were so surprised because she had worked there 7 years and had never taken a walk.
    Ok....well if that doesn't work, right after work, drive to a place you can walk and just do it before you go home. I try to get my break/lunch walks in and then go do 30 more minutes of jog/walking after work 2 days during the week and both weekend days.(I hope I can keep it up in the winter). :)