Help for me; RE: Lifting with the wife.

Options
So, my short story. Wife wants to drop alittle more wieght and tone up. Nothing is easy alone and I need to be in better shape also. So we are training together. 45 min of weights at lunch and I am helping her through C25K at home in the evening. Now for my dilemma, how hard do I push her? We have eased into running and lifting, but I think she can push more wieght and she seems fine with very lite wieght. I think if she pushes more than she will see more results? Thanks for your time and input. JB.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    She should start with a low weight she is comfortable with and get the form down. Then, she should add a couple pounds each workout.

Training isn't training unless there is progression.

For example,
    My wife was nervous about squatting a 45lb empty barbell. In a little less than 3 months, she was squatting over 180lbs.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Truthfully I think you can only encourage her, but can't make her. She needs to want it for it to be sustainable. Is she a member on here? Perhaps she needs to see the millions of posts about heavy lifting being beneficial.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    She should start with a low weight she is comfortable with and get the form down. Then, she should add a couple pounds each workout.

Training isn't training unless there is progression.

For example,
    My wife was nervous about squatting a 45lb empty barbell. In a little less than 3 months, she was squatting over 180lbs.

This solid answer pretty much ends this thread
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Do a little internet research on the concept of "progressive load." It is THE key to gaining muscle. If you explain the concept to your wife (or better yet, do the research together) she will see that continuing to lift the same weight will result in zero muscle gain once her body adapts to the weight she's currently lifting. I would bet that she's already adapted. You need to add difficultly with every workout. For instance, if you bench pressed 4 sets of 100lbs for 10 reps this week, next week you'd need to add 5lbs, or add another set, or another rep. Make small increases consistently you will see progress. The smaller the increases, the better.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you have a great relationship and she won't take things the wrong way, say something yourself! Say something like, you did 5lbs yesterday, I bet you can do 10 today! It will sound positive and supportive, while encouraging her to either try more weight, or tell you why she is afraid to.

Otherwise, buy her New Rules of Lifting for Women. That way experts will be telling her to increase her weights instead of you.

Good luck!