Pre-workout shakes?

MissKalhan
MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
Okay I'm delving into the world of pre-workout shakes and I'm stupidly new at this. Someone want to help a girl out?!
Thanks a lot :flowerforyou:

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Pre-workout supplements, you mean? Message me. I'm FULL of information about them.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Don't worry about that, unless your training to be a body builder, it's a waste of time and money!
  • contingencyplan
    Don't worry about that, unless your training to be a body builder, it's a waste of time and money!

Not necessarily. I use a few different ones I rotate between with great results.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member

Not necessarily. I use a few different ones I rotate between with great results.

Enlighten us on your "great results"
  • contingencyplan

The great results lie in the fact that I'm actually able to get through a workout at full intensity going straight from work. I was more eager to attack the workout in a manner that made me enjoy pushing myself where normally physical exertion of any kind leads to mental/emotional stress. I wasn't able to do that before I started taking pre-workout supplements because I was already tired from work. My gym sessions were half-assed, and I just wasn't safe using most of the equipment because of it. And it took me trying a few before I found something that worked for me.
  • McBully4

The great results lie in the fact that I'm actually able to get through a workout at full intensity going straight from work. I was more eager to attack the workout in a manner that made me enjoy pushing myself where normally physical exertion of any kind leads to mental/emotional stress. I wasn't able to do that before I started taking pre-workout supplements because I was already tired from work. My gym sessions were half-assed, and I just wasn't safe using most of the equipment because of it. And it took me trying a few before I found something that worked for me.

Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif
  • contingencyplan

Then why even post? Leave the posting to people with something to contribute to the conversation other than trolling.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    From the information I have gathered over time, the only thing you need to put in your mouth immediately before a workout that proved to be very beneficial was 1L of water.

During the workout, just drink more water, unless it's longer than 1 hour. In which case, drink a sports drink instead of water. All you really need is sugar, sodium, and potassium.

Post-workout should be a mix of protein and carbs - no fat.

The only difference a pre-workout drink will do would be to fill your body with sugar instead of filling it up during a workout. The 1L of water has actually been proven to reduce heart rate and improve your body's overall efficiency.
  • chivalryder

tumblr_lh5no5bIXR1qfjej5o1_400.gif
  • McBully4
    From the information I have gathered over time, the only thing you need to put in your mouth immediately before a workout that proved to be very beneficial was 1L of water.

During the workout, just drink more water, unless it's longer than 1 hour. In which case, drink a sports drink instead of water. All you really need is sugar, sodium, and potassium.

The only difference a pre-workout drink will do would be to fill your body with sugar instead of filling it up during a workout. The 1L of water has actually been proven to reduce heart rate and improve your body's overall efficiency.

Normally I want to stick a pencil in my eye when I see this guy post but for once and probably just this once, I agree
  • contingencyplan

Personally I'm constantly drinking water. I'm one of those guys someone posted about in a joke post a while back as the MFP member who logs 12 glasses of water a day and posts from his iPhone in the bathroom.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    My pre workout is coffee!!!!
  • chivalryder

Caffeine has also been found to be one of the best pre-workout substances you can ingest.

Edit: It doesn't have to be from coffee. You can get it from anything, including caffeine pills.
  • McBully4

Coffee makes me have to poop so the last thing I want to do is down a cup of joe and hop in a squat rack =/
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member

You should probably work on your diet instead of adding supplements if you can't make it to a workout after work, I don't take any supplements and I have 0 problem losing weight or making it through a full intensity workout...
  • chivalryder

Normally I want to stick a pencil in my eye when I see this guy post but for once and probably just this once, I agree

That being said, I have never read anything on pre-workout shakes, or anything of the kind. I've never looked for any at the same time.

Ideally, you want to eat 2 hours prior to a workout, and nothing from that meal to your workout. Working out on an empty stomach is the best thing to do.

What you eat should depend on what you're doing: Cardio, eat more carbs, and a bit of protein. Strength training, eat lots of protein and a few carbs. It's simple, really.
  • MrFitness972
    MrFitness972 Posts: 45 Member
    A cup of chocolate milk works!!!! It has the same amount of carbs as most pre-workouts Supplement!!
  • contingencyplan

You should probably work on your diet instead of adding supplements if you can't make it to a workout after work, I don't take any supplements and I have 0 problem losing weight or making it through a full intensity workout...

My diet is pretty squared away, although the past month has been off as I'm recovering from surgery. Lots of meat, fresh fruits and veggies, and whole grains, and very little processed foods. Don't drink anything but water. I've lost 130+ lbs so far and built a fair amount of muscle in the process. I didn't start taking any sort of pre-workout until I hit a plateau a while back when I switched gyms from PF to Gold's. While I agree with the guy above who said that's all the body NEEDS, it's simply a matter of performing better. Some people do, some people don't. Is it really such a hard concept to believe that some people need a little extra push to be able to apply themselves to physical endeavors after a busy work day?
  • contingencyplan

That being said, I have never read anything on pre-workout shakes, or anything of the kind. I've never looked for any at the same time.

Ideally, you want to eat 2 hours prior to a workout, and nothing from that meal to your workout. Working out on an empty stomach is the best thing to do.

What you eat should depend on what you're doing: Cardio, eat more carbs, and a bit of protein. Strength training, eat lots of protein and a few carbs. It's simple, really.

I agree with what you've said here, except the working out on an empty stomach thing. At least for me as it leads to nausea. While there is a science behind fitness, one thing I do feel the need to point out is that there are some details that really can vary from person to person. The whole working out on an empty stomach thing is definitely one of them.