Runners - shoe & gear question

Options
2»

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This will be my first running winter. I think how much you need for protection will vary depending on your preference. For example I need my ears/head covered or I will get a nasty headache/earache but I could still be wearing shorts.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am a new (returning?) runner - ok I can't even call if "running" yet, but I am doing it (Week 6 of C25K program). I am even signed up for a 5k in November. So 2 questions:

1) I am going to a local shop to get fitted - any advice on what I should know, look for, look out for, etc.?

2) Gear for cooler weather. It is starting to get chilly out. I typically wear a short sleeved wicking/tech shirt and capri pants - very comfy, but what can I add for warmth that won't make me too hot, etc.? Do I just need a long sleeved T or a pullover?

Much thanks!

Your shoes are the most important. Properly fitted and a model that works best for your type of foot and gait and running. Don't worry about the brand too much. Take price out of the equation. The absolute best shoe for you could be the $75 pair and not the $200 pair. That's great you are going to a Running specialty store. They typically know what they are doing and will save you a lot of preventable pain.

There's a lot of fancy gear for colder weather. You want to dress for the middle of your run. You should be too cold the first third and too hot the final third. Make sure it is made to wick moisture away. Merino wool is the best and nothing else even comes close to it- but its pricey. I usually start a long sleeve at 45 and below (depending upon wind conditions, if calm I may not), ear band at 40 and lower. Hat at 25 and lower. Gloves at 35 and lower. Long pants at 35 and lower. Vest at 30-40. Goretex (or equivalent) Jacket at 30-40 if rain. Additional layer(ex; a short sleeve under my long sleeve) at 30 and lower. Don't forget good socks. Merino wool here too is amazing- will keep your feet totally dry even in soaking rains (or, at least they will feel dry). The fortunate thing here is that they are comparably priced with other running socks- I guess due to more competition. Since it will likely be dark, consider relective gear (if its not already on the clothes).
  • dirkreader
    Options
    Dress as if it is 20 degrees warmer than it actually is.

As for the barefoot stuff. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. You can look at the Koolaide, but I wouldn't drink it.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I too am a new runner (i really am liking the sound of that more and more!) . I'm on week 5 of Couch 2 5K and i'm ready to invest in a good pair soon and have been told by several runner friends to hit the running specialty stores to get fitted. Glad to hear you had a good experience with that, i'm sort of leaning towards asics myself because i started with brand new nikes and hated them so i dug an old pair of asics out of the closet and having being enjoying their springy-ness ever since :bigsmile: And i'm signed up to do my first 5K on thanksgiving morning with my sister!! Only 6 weeks until it's here---eeeek!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Even if you go to a store that specializes in running, take everything they suggest with a grain of salt--trust your instincts and gut-feeling, too.

Here is my example for why: I started running in earnest back in May. When I started upping my mileage I went to a local running store to get fitted because I was terrified of having my toenails start to bleed. He measured me as a size 10 1/2 and was incredulous that I don't wear all of my shoes at that size. (I normally wear 8 1/2 - 9, sometimes narrow.) If I wear dress shoes any larger they fly off my feet when I am walking. The particular shoes that he showed me first happened to be the same ones (albeit in a newer model and 2 sizes larger) I was already wearing to run. I asked about narrow and he said that "narrow is 3A, and you are only measuring at 2A..." The store had only a 7 day return policy.

I took the shoes home and ran 4 miles in them the following day. They felt a little large. I ran in them again 2 days later, but with thicker socks. Still too large, and coming down hills felt awful squirrelly. By now I only had a couple of days to get them back to the store, a deadline that I ended up missing because the store is about 30 miles from my house and keeps very short work hours.

I ordered the exact same shoes from an online store in a size 9 1/2, narrow (which, for that brand, is 2A) and they fit like a glove--I'm still running in them. And I've found a new running store for next time. (I was lucky to sell the 'almost new' runners to someone with whom I work that normally wears a size 10.)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info here! I echo shoes, shoes, and shoes :smile: I would avoid the whole barefoot running thing though as it really only seems to work for a few people and of the runners I know who have tried it...well they all wear shoes again LOL The very best thing to do is head to a real running store where they can fit you for a shoe. Seriously that was the best running investment I ever made! I have switched shoes a few times but I did so because my body was changing and with that the way I ran was changing. I usually go in every year or so just to be sure I'm still in the best shoe for me. The running store I use is fantastic and they always bring out many different brands of shoes so don't be afraid to test them all. With my store, I can buy them and bring them back if they don't work. Last year I bought a pair of trail running shoes but after the first run I knew they were not going to work so I took them back in. Even though it was obvious I had used them there was no problem exchanging them for another pair....the sign of a great running store :happy:

On clothing, layers as has been said here many times already! I always have clothing I can take off if I get too warm which does happen often. Here in Michigan we are starting to see low 30 degree mornings so I know those first few miles are going to be cold but the last few are going to be warm. Layers allow me to stay warm and then cool down as needed. It really is trial and error as far as clothing but go with something that wicks the moisture away from you if you can. If you can't afford a ton of new clothes, we all know how expensive good running gear can be, then go with what you have. When I first started I used a lot of the cotton shirts I got from races and from time to time I still wear cotton shirts. You sometimes have to go with what you have so just try some things out and see what works for you. Also shop online if you can because I have found some great deals through websites like Amazon. I recently purchased three pair of my running shoe for $150 because they were closing out last years shoes, it seriously saved me well over $120.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the whole barefoot running thing though as it really only seems to work for a few people and of the runners I know who have tried it...well they all wear shoes again LOL

and with every barefoot runner who goes back to shoes there will be one who never looked back :flowerforyou: