Do you really need rest days?

Options
2»

Replies

• Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to think I was superwoman and didn't need a rest day until I ended up fracturing my fibula (rookie runner mistakes). Taking one day off a week is a lot better than being sidelined for weeks, trust me!
    Scary thought. Glad you are better!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important.
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Probably been said, but rest days help rebuild the muscles you've broken down during workouts. I find that after 5 days of cardio I absolutely need a 2 day break just to recover. And with muscle building, you can get away with working out different muscle groups if you need, but absolutely, no matter what, your body needs time to rest/recover.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you really overloaded.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty when I take them, but yes, your body does need a rest day here and there.

Think of it from a science point of view. What you are doing when you are working out is making tiny tears in your muscles that then get repaired, and that's how you "build" muscle. That repair work takes time. The best way is to work hard, add protein after, and rest.
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Think of it from a science point of view. What you are doing when you are working out is making tiny tears in your muscles that then get repaired, and that's how you "build" muscle. That repair work takes time. The best way is to work hard, add protein after, and rest.

This is the *intelligent* way to explain it. totally true.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree both with the need for rest days, but also they can be active recovery days. I lift weights 3 days a week (sometimes 4), but I do yoga and/or dance mostly daily, but I especially make sure to do yoga on a rest day. I also walk daily just as a necessity of my life and actively play with my children. I will sometimes do body weight exercises or work on balance through the day as well. I just like to be active, to stretch, keep my joints moving, or practice my form.