Too heavy to run?

Options
2»

Replies

• soulfulsally
    Options
    Gotta say, reading through all these replies...This is one awesome thread! Our weight doesn't have to hold us back from running.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Run?! I can barely walk right now..
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    By the way another thing apart from knee pain is clicky knee!

Because of the force if your heavy and you jog, its like all your weight multiplied on your knees. I had a clicky knee for nearly a year, wasnt sore but every step up stairs or anything resulted in an embarrassing click. I still get a stabbing pain in my knees if ive overdone it and/or shinsplints.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The woman that I am coaching through Couch to 5K is 325 pounds. We are doing Week 4, Day 3 tomorrow and so far she has run every second of every single run section.

So I'd say that as long as you pace yourself well, don't push too hard, and listen to your body, you're fine.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I weigh 50lbs more than you do right now. I have started running, but at my size, I am keeping it to the treadmill so the impact is less. When I lost weight before I was 30lbs less than I am now and I used to run on trails and kept doing so till I lost another 40lbs. Crap happened and I gained it all back and it brought friends, but I really do miss running.

Make sure your joints are okay and do strength training too. Find exercises that strength the hips so they can help support your extra weight, while your run. And stretch afterwards. Also mixing the running with biking helps too.

If you feel any pain in your joints, stop running for a few days and see if it goes away.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The longer runs aren't until 5 weeks from the start of the program, and you will be losing weight as you go through the program (assuming you are also eating a calorie deficit). You could easily be down 10 lbs by the time you get to the longer, more demanding runs. That being said, you don't need to be thin to run. There is no arbitrary "too fat to run" weight. Just be patient with yourself, start slow and build yourself up. You can do it! You will amaze yourself. C25K is an excellent program for those who want to start or restart running.