What is a good post-workout snack?

Options
I'm her to using the message boards, so I apologize if this has been covered, but I was wondering what a good post-workout snack might be. After my workout today, I was really quite hungry, craving something chocolately and decadent, but did not wis to go there. Ended up having a cup of peas, but that didn't really satisfy. What is something that works for you that calms down the hunger and doesn't make you feel guilty about eating it and ruining the workout?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Post workout for me is about 9oz of chicken, mashed potatoes and broccoli.
    Also a good time to have a cupcake or 2.
    DONT EAT 60% of your calories post workout.
    Lol
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I'll add that when lifting weights or doing some type of glycogen depletion you could have any type of sweet but pair it with large amounts of protein.
    So carbs and protein.
    Keep fats low.
    Its a good time to enjoy low fat ice cream or low fat cheesecake/banana bread.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    egg whites and fruit!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Waxy maize and hyrdo whey
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk or Greek Yogurt with some almonds mixed in.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    large chocolate milk
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Whey protein!
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Definitely much more then a cup of peas!.. It's the second time in a day (other then breakfast) to get in a good amount of calories at one sitting. It should be more of a meal then a snack. Doesn't matter if it's a drink or food, just as long as it contains simple carbohydrates and protein. Your body is like a sponge after a workout and willing to absorb the nutrients and put them to use.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    All in all you should eat about 60% of your calories post workout.

That is insane. Are you saying that someone who eats 3000+ calories/day should eat over 1500 calories in one sitting, right after working out? 30-50g of protein and 30-50g of simple carbs will suffice.

If I do have a post-workout something, it's often 3 tbsp of Gatorade powder mixed with 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder. 32g of carbs, 30-50g of protein, depending on how much I put in.

No fat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Waxy maize and hyrdo whey

Whats waxy maize?
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll have a fruit smoothie with almond milk and whey protein.

I also keep Kashi Go Lean Crunch protein bars in my car or gym bag for when I can't get my smoothie.

My usual workout time is late afternoon, so the above keeps me satisfied until I eat dinner (usually about 3 hours post workout)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

That is insane. Are you saying that someone who eats 3000+ calories/day should eat over 1500 calories in one sitting, right after working out? 30-50g of protein and 30-50g of simple carbs will suffice.

If I do have a post-workout something, it's often 3 tbsp of Gatorade powder mixed with 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder. 32g of carbs, 30-50g of protein, depending on how much I put in.

No fat.

I'm just saying that if you have the bulk of your food for the day after you workout youll benefit best from the nutrients.
    Lol my breakfast alone was 1500cals today...
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options

60% of calories for a 50 yr old female is not advised.. That's absurd!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

60% of calories for a 50 yr old female is not advised.. That's absurd!

Okay so maybe 60% is just too much for the general public.
    =D

I'll make this statement "Eat a decent protein and carb."

Happy?!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Top post edited for the lightweights.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    What I eat depends on how long I worked out. I'll make a protein smoothie if I've been on a run, but just a handfull of nuts with cheese and fruit for a walking day.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would love to see a few credible sources that back up the idea that you should eat most of your calories in the meal after your workout. Most everything I've ever read on the subject said the opposite, that you should have a light meal after, and only go back for more if you're truly hungry.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I would love to see a few credible sources that back up the idea that you should eat most of your calories in the meal after your workout. Most everything I've ever read on the subject said the opposite, that you should have a light meal after, and only go back for more if you're truly hungry.

Most articles covering glycogen depletion and carb back loading will help with the concept.
    If you workout first thing in the morning you do it fasted and you e got the day to feed.
    If you workout in the afternoon you start your day off with your fats and proteins for hormonal regulation the post workout you feed with high carbs and protein and low fats since they aren't really aiding in recovery.

I'm also a follower of IF, Martin Berkhan, Ori Hoffmelker, Brad Pilon, ESE and leangains as well as Cheat Mode by Silverhydra as well as rippedbody.jp.
    Search any of these and you'll see a lot of info on nutrient timing.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I will say this too, if you are looking to just reduce fat and you aren't lean then the nutrient timing thing isn't quite as important as if you were lean trying to get super lean.
    If you are just trying to lose fat then eat at a deficit and have sufficient protein.
    Don't cut carbs if you don't have to and eat a moderate amount of fat daily.