30 day shred question...

Options
Firstly, I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I was just wondering how often you guys do that 30 day shred? Do you do it everyday? Or have a rest day every 4-5 days? I have read people say that it's more effective if you do it everyday, but is that healthy/safe for your body? I was always under the impression that you need to let your muscles repair? Or is that only if you're doing heavy lifting?

Replies

• xjmcx
    xjmcx Posts: 27
    Options
    bump?
  • babigurl86
    Options
    hi,
    i'm currently on day 12 (day 2 lvl 2).it has taken 14 days as I've committed to only taking a rest day if i have to(otherwise i'll burn out and not complete it ).i can see results already,so i don't think resting has hampered me.

lot of people choose to do one day on ,one day off and Jillian says it wasn't really designed to be done in 30 days.

i'd say go at your own speed and stick (like glue) to your cals ,you'll get results xx
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 22 (Day 2 of Level 3). I started off determined to do it straight through without a rest day. I finished Level 1 straight through, and then hit a brick wall with Level 2. My knees starting hurting, I was losing motivation, I wasn't seeing any inch or scale loss (even though I *thought* I looked more toned in the mirror). Life also got busy and I ended up taking a couple rest days. And it was the best thing to do. My knees stopped hurting, I came back with renewed energy, and the scale dropped significantly on the rest days.

I think the danger is that you get out of the habit, but if you plan in your rest days, perhaps this makes sure you'll keep going with it. When I do the shred again in November/December, I'm going to plan in one rest day a week. If I am super motivated to do it anyway, I will, but otherwise I'll have one day off, or do some plain cardio instead.

In short, do what feels right, see if you can get through it quick, but don't be surprised if you end up taking some rest days in level 2 - a lot of people seem to struggle with that level. I can report that level 3 is much more fun!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I honestly just listen to my body. I'm on day five of thirty and I took a rest on day four. If your body is genuinely too exhausted to go again the next day, nourish it and rest! If you've got the energy and you feel that it's within your grasp, go for it and do it! It's all about listening to what your muscles and bones have to say. :bigsmile:

I definitely think rest days are important but I don't rest completely. If I am too sore or too tired to do my workout, I go for a brisk walk for a half an hour or do a little yoga.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i did it everyother day and did a diffrent exercise like zumba on kinect the other day .
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've read that Jillian herself recommends doing 4 days/week.
    Personally, I do it 5, and take the weekends off. I'm about to start level 2 on monday, and we'll see how my body takes it, hah
  • xjmcx
    xjmcx Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice!
    I think I'll stick too it for a bit, and throw in a rest day ifit gets too much for me!

Thank again everyone! :)
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yes, listen to your body. I started it a month ago and ended up hurting my knee by pushing myself too much. I know listen to my knees and do it when they say it is ok. I usually take 1-2 days a week and spend on the treadmill so that I'm still getting some workout in! good luck!
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    If your doing it and your in a lot of pain, you should probably take a rest day but if you just sore just work through it. I promise that in about 3 days the soreness will go away with the level & then when i start a new level new soreness will come.