Does everyone notice your weight loss except YOU?

I feel like that's happening to me. Family, friends, and coworkers are starting to notice I've lost weight. But the truth is I haven't lost very much (around 10 pounds total, I started this before joining MFP), so I don't notice the differences yet. Last year I lost 20 pounds and didn't feel like many people noticed it unless I brought it up. This time I've lost half as much and it seems everyone has commented on it. I'm flattered and happy, but also a little sad that my self confidence is so low that I can't see it myself. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    yes. me.

people were commenting on my losses at about 5-10 lbs and then it stopped all together. Weird. but i know how you feel.
  • darling, I dont think its your self confidence, I think that maybe this time you are working harder and it shows. also, I never think I have lost weight. and then I will put on a dress or a pair of pants, and realize its not tight anymore(i could not bring myself to buy a size 26) and then eventualy baggy. Take it easy on your self. you are not alone.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Well, when you loose 10 pounds your clothes are looser and they may notice that. Also, are you working out regularly now that you are on MFP? The difference may be you are loosing weight in the right places this time? I lost 15 pounds around my core and that is the only place I wanted to loose it, so I (as well as other people) see a difference.
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    I felt the same way that you did, until I was going thru some old photos, not even that old but from when I started and then I was like well damn!!! :laugh:

I have the comparison picture in a post.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755365-half-way-just-about-to-my-goal
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Yes! After the first 5 pounds my loss stalled a bit, but I kept getting comments from my boyfriend and friends about how I looked like I was losing weight. I finally broke out the measuring tape so I could have a frame of reference there since apparently I was doing some toning and slimming down even though the scale didn't reflect it.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Well, when you loose 10 pounds your clothes are looser and they may notice that. Also, are you working out regularly now that you are on MFP? The difference may be you are loosing weight in the right places this time? I lost 15 pounds around my core and that is the only place I wanted to loose it, so I (as well as other people) see a difference.

I do seem to be losing differently, but I don't know what I'm doing that's causing it. I exercised the last time I lost weight, too, but it took longer to see a difference. This time I incorporated weights earlier on than I did before, but they're small, 5lbs. at the most, so I don't know if that's the reason.
  • FitFabFlirty92

I do seem to be losing differently, but I don't know what I'm doing that's causing it. I exercised the last time I lost weight, too, but it took longer to see a difference. This time I incorporated weights earlier on than I did before, but they're small, 5lbs. at the most, so I don't know if that's the reason.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Sorry, didn't mean to post that last reply twice! :(
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    darling, I dont think its your self confidence, I think that maybe this time you are working harder and it shows. also, I never think I have lost weight. and then I will put on a dress or a pair of pants, and realize its not tight anymore(i could not bring myself to buy a size 26) and then eventualy baggy. Take it easy on your self. you are not alone.

THIS. I can completely relate, especially about the size 26 thing...
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Unfortunately, very few people in my life mention anything and even though my clothes are looser, I don't really notice that I look different. I still have another 100 pounds to go...hopefully people will start to notice.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    I've lost 75 pounds and still everyday have to fight to convince myself that this is the new me. It's a mental thing and it will take time. Enjoy the journey :)
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Actually I think I DO know I have lost, but it doesn't quite register....

I have lost now 30kg this year and another 10kg planned still... I honest to god cannot "see" it? I know I wear sizes much smaller than before, I cannot balance beers on stomach and feel sick after 1/4 of what I ate before. I look into mirror and see no real difference but hear it all the time...

I feel it, but cannot see it and I cannot explain how frustrating that is :(
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    not many in my family notice they make big fuss over my sister
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Unfortunately, very few people in my life mention anything and even though my clothes are looser, I don't really notice that I look different. I still have another 100 pounds to go...hopefully people will start to notice.

I know it must be hard to lose over 100 pounds and still have 100 more to go, but if no one in your life has told you this before, you are absolutely amazing. It takes incredible discipline and strength to do what you have done and I applaud you. :) Whether you see it yet or not, you HAVE made an enormous and incredible change and you deserve credit for it. Congratulations on your success!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    I ha 2 or three people tell me today that I had lost alot of weight. I can't see it myself but my clothes definitely tell me I have. For example I have a winter coat that was quite snug on me last year and when I put it on this week I noticed that I am swimming in it. Photos will definitely tell you you have lost weight.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    I have been struggling with this as well. My family, boyfriend and co workers all have made comments, some good so bad on my weight loss. I still don't see it though even though I was a size 12 jeans three months ago, bought size 8 two weeks ago and those are too baggy on me. I think sometimes we just have to learn to accept our changing bodies and it's hard. It seems especially hard for people like me who always put themselves down when it comes to weight. Even if I am not considered Obese or severely overweight. Clothes made a huge difference with people noticing. I work at a hospital and went from a size medium scrub that was snug when I started in Februrary to an XS, then the comments, good and bad, were flying from everywhere. You're doing great, keep up the good work and soon you will see yourself for the beautiful, thin person you are! good luck!
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Yes, can I suggest that you take a pre photo and a current photo and look at them together ... I did that and was amazed
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    I was diagnosed with Body Dismorphic Disorder so I know exactly what you mean! I am always the last person to look at myself and see progress, but I can see any flaws right away! I am a bit better now though! I am wearing stripes a lot lately and they seem very slimming these days, I can fit through gaps in the shops that I would've just looked at before!

It is a slow progress but take the compliments for now and you will see it in the end!!
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Yup! Feels like eveyone knows and I don't lol.

Best is when people just plan don't recognize you, hence why they can't comment on your weight loss I suppose.

Also, people may notice a lot but they aren't going to say something everytime. Keep it up!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    YES!!! I never see my weight loss but others see it ALL THE TIME! I think we naturally have a distorted perception of our bodies. I still see myself as fat in many ways even after 65lbs of weight loss
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!