Treadmill is a snooze fest

Options
I am trying to get back into running. Right now I can run outside with no problems, but once winter hits that will be all over. I live in Alaska and it is not safe to be outside once it hits about mid November for more than 30 minitues. I really dont want to run on ice either. So how do i spice up running on a hampster wheel, i mean treadmill?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Reading. Music. Vivid daydreams.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    For me...a great playlist on my Ipod! Or a good book does wonders! Was reading the 50 shades of gray series and lost track of time while on the treadmill! Walked well over an hour!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time running and reading maybe an audio book
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    When I first started reading and I saw the thing about not wanting to run outside in winter I was thinking "excuses, excuses"...then I see that you live in Alaska!! Whoops! :) Yeah...probably not a good idea.

For the dreadmill, I think doing intervals makes it more interesting, and increases your workout too. There are lots of dreadmill interval workouts on pinterest in the Health and Fitness section. Then maybe one day per week you can do a long run and try to run further each time?

I tried!
  • meeper123
    Options
    Will give that a shot
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha, just about exactly what I was going to write. another thought, I have a TV by my dreadmill and find watching an engaing movie is helpful
    When I first started reading and I saw the thing about not wanting to run outside in winter I was thinking "excuses, excuses"...then I see that you live in Alaska!! Whoops! :) Yeah...probably not a good idea.

For the dreadmill, I think doing intervals makes it more interesting, and increases your workout too. There are lots of dreadmill interval workouts on pinterest in the Health and Fitness section. Then maybe one day per week you can do a long run and try to run further each time?

I tried!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Intervals are great. I did them before I knew they were actually a good training method just to break up the monotony. Basically I just set mini goals and it made the laps/minutes go by quicker.

Audio books helped some, although if I did intervals I was too distracted calculating my next speed change to concentrate.

I found that certain TV shows inspired me - drama/thrillers that would normally get my heart pumping anyway. Same with music.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I watch Tv....it really helps!
  • meeper123
    Options
    Coulld hook my laptop up down there ( my dreadmill is in the basement facing a very boring green wall)
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks are wonderful. They're not the best for high intensity running where I'm aiming for speed (I like some energetic music with a beat I can run to for that), but I LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to them on my long runs. They make the miles fly by.

Can you get Pandora Radio on your cell phone? You can have a stand-up comedy station, where it plays comedy routines. This is another great boredom buster.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I think audiobooks and mixing in sprints is a good idea.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I Watch netflix on my kindle fire! I love the treadmill! :laugh:
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I watch the Food Network.... figures! :ohwell:
    Couldn't stand it without the TV. Tried reading but it makes me carsick!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I Watch netflix on my kindle fire! I love the treadmill! :laugh:
    This is what I do.
    NetFlix on the tablet.
    Time flies. catching up on Breaking Bad.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    My exercise options are limited due to a disability affecting balance so I know about surviving boredom on an elliptic trainer.

Nowadays I use a television app for catching up on missed broadcasts on my iPhone. In the past I've depended on the iPod, the audio edition of the Economist for the smartphone, and paper Sudoku's.

I don't normally watch TV, so an hour passes pretty quickly watching the TV app.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Audiobooks are wonderful. They're not the best for high intensity running where I'm aiming for speed (I like some energetic music with a beat I can run to for that), but I LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to them on my long runs. They make the miles fly by.

Can you get Pandora Radio on your cell phone? You can have a stand-up comedy station, where it plays comedy routines. This is another great boredom buster.

Never new that!
  • meeper123
    Options
    I have a nook will try :) did dawn on me to try that
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you can actually do lunges too on the treadmill...put it on very very very slow..no incline at first...then as you get used to it over time you can.increase the incline slightly..i know its not cardio..but is another way to change things up... :)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    you can actually do lunges too on the treadmill...put it on very very very slow..no incline at first...then as you get used to it over time you can.increase the incline slightly..i know its not cardio..but is another way to change things up... :)

Great idea!!! I hate the dreadmil myself. I would rather walk outside than get on my treadmill. BORINGGGG!!!!!
    I only use it when the weather is bad. To get my mind off how boring it is I put on a good movie or watch a show I love. Before I know it I did an hour. I do the same when I'm on my stationary bike.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    same dilemma here...That is why I decided on treadmill once a week..and focus the rest on lifting.

I may start with a short 5-10 minute run just to warm up.