which diet to pic

Options
I am trying to find the diet that works the best for me but it is so hard. a few friends of mine suggested the Atkins diet they said the weight comes up fast only problem with that is I love my breads and pastas so that is very restricting for me but I am at 290lbs right now so i would like to get this weight off. I just dont know if I should just make healthier choices and smaller portions. and calorie count or if i shoudl do the atkins diet im so confused

Replies

• LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat well. You can have everything, but moderation with food is key.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think healthier choices and smaller portions would be easier to sustain, no?
  • Tobethin608
    Tobethin608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ipersonally like low carb. I too like the pastas and breads, but find after being on low carb I don't :crave" them as much. There are great substitutes i.e. spaghetti squash makes a great base for sauce and meatballs! The weight comes off steadily. Just remember there are many low carb diets, atkins, paleo, south beach. They are all a little different. Read about them all to decide which would be best for you if this is the way you want to go.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the all new "Eat Sensibly & Move" diet. Its working!
  • kareinlib
    Options
    "Diets" don't tend to work - "Lifestyle Changes" do. You should really just make an effort to eat healthier, get processed foods out of there, and exercise more. You'll see more results than you will doing a fad diet.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love my breads and pastas......

Question is what do you love more? ......the breads and pastas or being thin and healthy?

Although I eat low carb, I choose that as a lifestyle....not a diet. Diets don't work. I will eat low carb forever because that's what is good for me. Eat healthy and in moderation and you will lose weight and keep it off. Good luck!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love carbs but they don't love me, I limit my carbs to 4 servings a day and do just fine on this. It isn't Atkins and I personally think you have everything you need right here, but it does help a little to limit carbs. I went from 264 to now 239 by just cutting back on carbs.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Atkins is extremely restrictive, in my opinion. Just stick to eating wholesome meats and veggies and make sure you eat the calories MFP recommends.

I eat <120 carbs a day, because it works well for me.
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the no processed foods. I have started taking them out of my meals. It is excellent advice to not think of it as a diet more of a lifestyle change. I am on the path to being healthy and state of mind is key.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would caution you about going on Atkins. While it may be true that the weight comes off fast, there is a price to pay. Unfortunately, the price I paid was with damage to my heart.

I started with My Fitness Pal on June 13th this year (2012). In the 3.5 months that I have just been watching my calories, I have lost 38 pounds. I don't feel deprived of anything. If its something I want, I have it and fit it into my daily allowances (even the occasional chocolate). The biggest difference for me is that I don't eat the candy, chips and treats that I used to allow myself. I know I am healthier and my doctor is pleased with my progress. My blood pressure meds have been adjusted lower once already which is great! I feel like I am finally more in control of my food rather than letting it control me.

Good luck with your journey! You are in the right place. Please feel free to add me if you'd like to and I'd be happy to answer any questions that may help you.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing.. if you deprive yourself of something, you will end up gorging yourself on it eventually.. right?

Why not use portion control? Besides, if you eliminate yourself of something, chances are, you could do damage to your body.

Even vegeterians have to have protein! they just have to get it from other options than meats!

Eat the things you love.. just remember that it comes down to calories out verses calories in.

NEVER drink your calories. Want a pepsi? have a sip. thats it.

Log EVERYTHING.

You will find that if you work hard enough, make better choices, choose that apple over that slice of pie.. at the end of the week, its not WORTH going over just for ONE cookie... and it really isnt. You just wont want it THAT bad.

Take it slow. count your calories and dont omit, just cut down your portions. when you eat your dinner, ALWAYS add a large salad and eat it first, then eat your dinner, starting with fruits, veggies, meats (lean cut away the fats) then have your pastas & grains. So no on is telling you that you CANT have it.. its just about choosing the better things FIRST.

when YOU make the choices, its empowering! you wont only losethe weight, you will feel better, and become healthier, and you will have yourself to thank!! <3
  • KC3003
    KC3003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too love breads, buns and pasta. I read a book called Eat right for your Type, which suggests a different diet for each blood type. I find now, that if I dont have anything with wheat in it, after about two days, I no longer crave it or anything alse. Its amazing. I now follow the guidelines set out by Heart and Stroke Society, or Diabetes Society, which are similar to Weight Watchers. I just dont eat bread.
    It's pretty basic, a food plan for life.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I love my breads and pastas......

Question is what do you love more? ......the breads and pastas or being thin and healthy?

Although I eat low carb, I choose that as a lifestyle....not a diet. Diets don't work. I will eat low carb forever because that's what is good for me. Eat healthy and in moderation and you will lose weight and keep it off. Good luck!

You got it! We like breads and pastas because they act as a drug in our brain. We eat some, and then our brain insists that we must have more. Eating low carb has regulated my moods and my energy. I have consistent energy and don't go into carb comas where I just want to eat another muffin and pass out.
    You may find that once you step away from the carbs, you feel like a new person. This will make it SO much easier to stick with the plan.
    I use little test strips to make sure I am in Ketosis- and I have been consistently since logging everything I eat, and staying under 1200 cal. You really also have to exercise frequently to get the most results the fastest, but I have found eating 20 net carbs or less as well as hitting the elliptical trainer hard daily and weight training is giving be solid results.

It is so true, though, that you really have to give up the carbs (especially the processed poison "white carbs") for-eva. It seems impossible before you actually do it, and it took me a few tries this round for it to click, but I am comfortable and committed now, and I feel better than ever.

A shallow but true quote: "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Feel free to add me if you would like!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Atkins is ridiculous.

Diets ALWAYS fail. Figure your BMR and TDEE. Eat at a point between the two. boom. done. lifestyle.
  • zebisis
    Options
    Here is the thing.. if you deprive yourself of something, you will end up gorging yourself on it eventually.. right?

Why not use portion control? Besides, if you eliminate yourself of something, chances are, you could do damage to your body.

Even vegeterians have to have protein! they just have to get it from other options than meats!

Eat the things you love.. just remember that it comes down to calories out verses calories in.

Log EVERYTHING.

You will find that if you work hard enough, make better choices, choose that apple over that slice of pie.. at the end of the week, its not WORTH going over just for ONE cookie... and it really isnt. You just wont want it THAT bad.

Take it slow. count your calories and dont omit, just cut down your portions. when you eat your dinner, ALWAYS add a large salad and eat it first, then eat your dinner, starting with fruits, veggies, meats (lean cut away the fats) then have your pastas & grains. So no on is telling you that you CANT have it.. its just about choosing the better things FIRST.

when YOU make the choices, its empowering! you wont only losethe weight, you will feel better, and become healthier, and you will have yourself to thank!! <3

This just DOESN'T work for me. I needed a major change and different way of thinking for success. I am one that needs to eliminate those drug-like triggers. Carbs make me feel like crap. For me, they are not part of a winning diet. Everyone is different, though!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Log EVERYTHING.

This just DOESN'T work for me. I needed a major change and different way of thinking for success. I am one that needs to eliminate those drug-like triggers. Carbs make me feel like crap. For me, they are not part of a winning diet. Everyone is different, though!!

is it carbs, or is it gluten that makes you feel like crap? most people have no problem with rice, potatoes, veggies and fruit. Many people have problems (although they may not realize the culprit) with GLUTEN.
  • zebisis
    Options
    Atkins is ridiculous.

Diets ALWAYS fail. Figure your BMR and TDEE. Eat at a point between the two. boom. done. lifestyle.

It may be ridiculous for you, and that is OK.

I ate low carb for years before having kids, then did the "there is no time for me, only my children" thing for a while.

Low carb is definitely a major change, and not easy by any means. It is not for everyone. But it is really great as a lifestyle for many.
    Don't like low carb? Don't do it! :wink:
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The best "diet" is one you can stick to. You don't want to lose weight only to gain it all back. Make the changes to your diet that will allow you to lose weight without feeling deprived or like there is a long list of foods that you can't eat. You can eat anything you want . . . as long as you do it in moderation. MFP is a great tool to make sure that you stick with the moderation part!

Other posters have covered most of the advice that I would give. I will just add one more recommendation: check out this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It explains all the TDEE, BMR, exercise calories stuff quite well and has some great advice.
  • zebisis
    Options

Log EVERYTHING.

is it carbs, or is it gluten that makes you feel like crap? most people have no problem with rice, potatoes, veggies and fruit. Many people have problems (although they may not realize the culprit) with GLUTEN.

Any carbs like white rice and white potatoes, along with all other high carb items cause me to crave sugar. It works best for me to not eat high carb foods. Once in maintenance, I stick to whole grain, in small amounts and berries for fruit.