Alkaline food diet

Options
So, Ive just taken the plunge and signed up for a personal trainer who is giving me a diet plan to follow also. The plan is based around alkaline foods. Has anyone tried this diet?
Any tasty recipes?
Did it work?
I'm having to cut out dairy and white processed stuff so any alternatives would be great if anyone has any suggestions thanks.

I'll let you know how I get on!

10kgs to lose initially x (then the next 10kgs!)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer make an attempt to explain why he or she believes that the PH of foods is relevant as a basis for your diet?
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i'VE TREID IT AND FOUND IT TOO DIFFICULT FOR MY LIFESTYLE
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are usually not required to know absolutely anything about nutrition. It's probably best to do your own research and decide for yourself.

Here is my ranking of diets:
    1) The one that is long-term sustainable for you and a modest calorie deficit
    2) Minimize processed crap and eat mostly food you make yourself while maintaining a deficit

Most fad diets just help you create the deficit by cutting out whole groups of foods. If it works for you, go for it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer make an attempt to explain why he or she believes that the PH of foods is relevant as a basis for your diet?
    Good question. I don't blindly follow advice from anybody without making an effort to understand the supposed reasoning behind why I should do it. The world of nutrition/fitness is filled with myths, misinformation and downright whacky stuff. It's a good thing to educate oneself and try to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.
  • mosschopscider
    mosschopscider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah she looked at what I was eating (lots of processed white bread/rice/additives etc) and based the eating plan on that. its not all alkaline food, just trying to eat more alkaline food, more protein and less diet soda. i'm happy to try it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference or not- I'm just wondering if it worked for anyone else and if nayone has nice meal ideas to try.

The trainer was explaining that weightloss is 80% food based and 20% exercise based, so as I do a lot of exercise already and havent lost weight, I need to look at my diet and what I eat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah she looked at what I was eating (lots of processed white bread/rice/additives etc) and based the eating plan on that. its not all alkaline food, just trying to eat more alkaline food, more protein and less diet soda. i'm happy to try it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference or not- I'm just wondering if it worked for anyone else and if nayone has nice meal ideas to try.

The trainer was explaining that weightloss is 80% food based and 20% exercise based, so as I do a lot of exercise already and havent lost weight, I need to look at my diet and what I eat.

If you are at a calorie deficit, there is no reason these things will inhibit weight loss.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Of the various reasons for an Alkaline diet, it is primarily used *effectively* for urinary tract infections.

Diet IS a good think to look at (core thing to look at), if you are not losing weight - are you creating a calorie deficit, like Sara notes, or just eating at a new pH?
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i'm a super picky eater,so for someone to tell me i have to eat something,probally wont work.
    'cause i promise for me to try something is like leading a horse to water,
    you can lead them,but,that doesnt mean there gunna drink it!
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If anyone has a diet that is practical in this category I have an interest. I believe this is healthy, but I found this so restrictive I could not possibly comply. Also, figuring out what to eat was a problem because some alkaline foods convert to acid in the body and vice versa. Good science because highly acid body can contribute to cancer and other ailments