After-Weight-Loss Complications

Options
I'm JUST STARTING OUT on my path to weight loss. My fear is that, having been around 300lbs my entire life (more in the 280s/290s,) once I get into my ideal zone of about 170/180 (after losing 120+ lbs) that I'm going to have some serious stretch marks / an empty sagging gut.

Are these fears warranted? Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm 37, so my skin is still somewhat elastic (not as elastic as a 20 year olds, but still...) How worried do I have to be about this?

Could I **EVER** get a six pack?

I know reconstructive surgery (tummy tuck) is an option (yes, even on us guys,) but that's not necessarily the step I want to take if I can avoid it.

Can someone assuage my fears?

Thanks!

- Mike Z.

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose the weight the more chance your skin has to shrink back with the weight loss. You lose it fast like biggerst loser contestants then you will most definately have hanging folds of skin.

The skin is a concern but you will be far healthier even with loose skin than staying overweight.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    From what I see from personal experience even guys your weight can tone up aand not have the sage. It can take up to 2 yrs for your tummy to go back to normal according to my doctor but guys have an easier time with it because the one factor difference and that is woman genetically have more weight in their lower tummy than men because it is there to protect our growing babies and also there as fat storage for feeding our babies..according to my OBGyN and this is after having 5 kids..keep plugging away, moisturize and lose weight steadily and lift weights heavy to tone the muscle and skin..plus, worry about it when you get closer to your goal, you can do it.
  • MZmuda
    MZmuda Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks, Guys!

I'm gettin' to it... Gonna do it! :)

- Z
  • aquaeyes4
    aquaeyes4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    as someone who has lost over 100lbs very slowly (over several years) i can tell you that most likely if you have been overweight a long time, your sagging skin will not retreat. if you have stretch marks you have damaged your skin's elasticity and that is something that will never change. i had surgery on both my stomach and my arms because i felt like my body would never catch up with the loss. i wrestled with that decision for a long time and now i can honestly say it was the best gift i could have ever given myself. it wasnt easy, in fact, my stomach was the most painful thing BY FAR i have ever been thru in my life, but the result makes it worth it and id do it again ten times over. hope any of that helps.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Look up Jeremy Yost on youtube this is all you need to see
  • sammichPG
    Options
    I'm JUST STARTING OUT on my path to weight loss. My fear is that, having been around 300lbs my entire life (more in the 280s/290s,) once I get into my ideal zone of about 170/180 (after losing 120+ lbs) that I'm going to have some serious stretch marks / an empty sagging gut.

Are these fears warranted? Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm 37, so my skin is still somewhat elastic (not as elastic as a 20 year olds, but still...) How worried do I have to be about this?

Could I **EVER** get a six pack?

I know reconstructive surgery (tummy tuck) is an option (yes, even on us guys,) but that's not necessarily the step I want to take if I can avoid it.

Can someone assuage my fears?

Thanks!

- Mike Z.

As someone who has lost half of that amount (with another 25kg to go) I'm not getting a whole lot of stretch marks, still a bit of a melting candle effect though but I went really hard with my (29kg in a bit more than 5 months) cut and didn't do any exercise for my upper body.

Start weight lifting (no not those body weight programs that are very popular here, I'm talking about joining a gym and using real weights) and do a lot of cardio.

Lifting really helps with your body shape.

Besides that it's early to be concerned about six packs and sagging skin, this kind of things must go always one step at a time.

Good luck.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose the weight the more chance your skin has to shrink back with the weight loss. You lose it fast like biggerst loser contestants then you will most definately have hanging folds of skin.

The skin is a concern but you will be far healthier even with loose skin than staying overweight.

My thoughts exactly! Just lose it slowly, and lift weights to firm up and tighten your muscles. Even though you're a guy and you may think it's lame (but you may not) try yoga. I've seen plenty of guys do yoga at my gym even some big buff blokes giving it a shot, it's good for toning.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 130 and just recently started to get saggy skin. Stretch marks I already had from the ride up so can't really speak to those. You may be just fine. You will definitely feel better, and enjoy much more life regardless of how your belly looks.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I would rather lose weight and have loose skin than to stay fat and have that skin filled in...I've lost 67 pounds so far and I feel GREAT....I have another 140 more to go...and I know I will end up with loose skin because I've been fat for 30 years 20 over 250 up to 360 pounds. I will do this...good luck if you decide to.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Mike. There's probably going to be some loose skin and stretch marks. :( It's true that keeping hydrated and losing slowly will help, but at your age and weight, loose skin is the expected.

That said, there's no reason you can't have your six pack. Fill in that skin with some muscle. You may not be at your ideal weight, but you'll be at your ideal body. Then patiently wait. It will get better over time and surgery may not be needed.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm down a 175 pounds more or less.... and while I DO have some sagging skin... not nearly as much as you would think... I am very happy with my body... skin and all :) ...

good luck and get moving!

:flowerforyou:
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was 325 and now 217 I want to loose about 42 more. I have very little skin sag and sretch marks have faded.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am 56 years old, and have lost 163 pounds in the past year. I was heavy all my life, even as a child, and in the 350 pound range for most of my adulthood. At 56, I didn't really expect skin to shrink back. And it hasn't. But WHO CARES?! I am thinner, healthier, feel better, fit into nicer clothes, can do more! I know since you are a young man, looks are probably more important to you, but really, you need to look at the big picture here, and the big picture is GOOD HEALTH! I waited until I had a life-threatening illness to take some serious action. I always tell younger people to do it NOW, don't wait like I did!

Skin DOES continue to shrink for at least a couple of years. My father deicded to lose weight in his EIGHTIES (he is nearly 90, now!). At first, his skin was pretty loose, but it kept shrinking. AND he has built visible muscle since then, too! So I think your six-pack is a real possibility, even if there is some loose or wrinkled skin around, too. (By the way, he was not fat, he just feels that being thinner would extend his life).

Good luck to you!
  • JennPrebs
    JennPrebs Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way , I need to lose about 75 or so lbs and I am worried about this issue. Surgery is super expensive and I don't want someone mutilating me. I have decided when It comes close to that time, I am going to work very hard to keep that sagging skin off my belly. Surgery is a last resort for me. I am 27, so maybe my youth will help me out some , I'm not sure.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!