Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    nothing. eat the whole thing
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ug, I've heard this too from other people. I just CAN'T eat an egg white alone...just nasty...the yolk is the best part to me...I think it should be fine to eat the whole egg. :) I do. :)
  • 256Sept12
    Options
    Some people don't eat yolk because the fat is in the yolk and they don't want that fat. However....yolk contains good healthy fat. The fat your body and brain needs.

I eat all parts of an egg almost everyday, several a day. I LOVE eggs.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat 4-6 a day, and nothing wrong with my serum levels.
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    Most of the protein is in the white, all the cholestoral and fat is in the yolk. and i eat a LOT of eggs. trying to build muscle. so i eat the yolk of maybe 4 out of 18 eggs. the rest i dump. if ur only eating 1 egg a day then eat the yolk. nicest part. if ur eating them like me then dump em

Fair enough. Maybe all the egg white only eaters I've noticed are doing the same? (building muscle). I eat whole eggs, don't find whites alone appetising (unless they're in a cake :smile:). Feel bad for the chickens throwing out all those yolks though...I'd make them into a custard or something. Wait...
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    eggs are great, I have free range chooks and plenty of beautiful eggs, im a low carber so I eat 1 - 4 eggs every day yolk too, new research shows their great dont worry about the 80's nonsence, enjoy!
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The only thing killer about egg yolks are how delicious they are. Kills me every. single. morning. next to my bacon of course.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I keep away from eggs after I found out there fat content

Why hate on fat and egg yolks. Great stuff. On what planet is fat bad?
  • Jester522
    Options
    Thats because dietary fat and cholesterol has zero effect on blood cholesterol and positively influences lipid profiles.

Now that bagel you had..... different story.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Eat away. Just had a lovely egg for breakfast.

This
    Nothing wrong with eggs they're really good for you the cholesterol worsens your cholesterol thing is a myth
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thats because dietary fat and cholesterol has zero effect on blood cholesterol and positively influences lipid profiles.

Now that bagel you had..... different story.

And exactly this
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with egg yolks. The calorie content is not that different from a second white. If you buy the right brand, they can be a good source of omega 3s, and they contain key enzymes that help your body metabolize the protein in the white.
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    Eggs are a HUGE part of my life. Filling, low cal, low carb and high protein. You can eat em scrambled, fried, boiled, devilled, made into an omelet etc. Eggs got a bad rap in the 70/80's and some people have no cared to keep up with the science! Hurrah for runny egg yolks!

OMG I LOVE RUNNY YOLKS. Especially with a bit of wholemeal bread to dip into them!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have chickens, so i have a LOT of eggs. (VERY free range, organic)
    a lot of mornings (right now in fact) i scramble 3 egg whites with one whole egg. It's filling and gives me protein, but not the calories. I don't care about anything else. I cook the yolks and give them to the dogs
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat them!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the reason is calories. When I was tighter on my calories I'd eat whole eggs but if I was making an omlette I'd use 1/2 whole eggs, 1/2 whites. Just helped keep the calorie count down.
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was reading on the living strong site egg yolks have a lot of colesterol almost 200 in a large yolk, however if you don't eat sasuage or becon with the egg it should be okay. I just use moderation when I eat eggs I love the yolk so I eat the whole thing. Hope this helps. Oh and they have vitamine D and Choline and low in Saturated fat. You can do some research on living strong site it is very helpful and has good info. on different foods. If you already have high colesterol you may want to talk to your Dr. first.
  • Jester522
    Options
    I was reading on the living strong site egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol almost 200 in a large yolk, however if you don't eat sausage or bacon with the egg it should be okay.

It doesn't make a difference. The rest of your post was good though.
  • MelanieRogers73
    Options
    Sorry new person, what does BUMP! mean??
  • hilarytwilary
    hilarytwilary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see that everyone here promotes eggs as healthy. To play devil's advocate, here's some recent science indicating that eggs might not be as full of good stuff as we think:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-industry-blind-spot/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/08/31/bad-egg/