Abs/Core Question: To Crunch Or Not To Crunch

Options
I always heard that crunches (and abs exercises in general) are--for most people--MOSTLY useless because you can't spot reduce and it's diet that needs to be changed first to lose the weight, then afterwards the abs/core issue can be addressed.

I never bothered doing crunches etc before because I was still in that first stage of needing to lose a lot of belly fat. Now, it's getting manageable and I'm thinking maybe I should start.

I don't have much of a belly at all when I'm lying down, but standing up is another story--which is what really makes me believe the muscles need work. Would it be a waste of my time to start crunches at this point or are they considered by most to be a complete waste of time? Anyone have any info/links on the most effective exercises and/or method?

I'm not looking for 6 pack abs or massive definition, really. Just want to have a fairly strong core.

BTW...I'm a 42 female--5 foot 11, 150 lbs.

Replies

• premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Planks are WAY more effective than crunches and definitely worth doing
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Crunches will not help spot reduce as you said, but a strong core is important and crunches can help with that. Crunches are part of my core routine as are planks.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Plank exercises are the way! You're right that just doing crunches won't give you a six pack, well it might help but you won't see it if there's a layer of fat over the top! Having said that, I still have extra fat around my middle but some some ab work has definitely deceased my waist!

I do insanity and there's some kind of crunches in there but it's the plank punches and plank sprints where I can really feel it.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Having a strong core is all about being functional, and remember, your core isn't just your abs. It's that whole middle part of you that stabilizes you and helps you balance. The experts will tell you that some exercises are more effective than others, and that may be true, but I think doing a variety of core work is key to developing strength and stability.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    crunches are useless because they are barely exercise.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Crunches you'll pretty much need to add some weight to but there's value in doing ab work period. Yes, six pack wil come from diet not exercise, however; that's not to say that you shouldn't strengthen your ab's and obliques with direct work anyway. A mix of weighted crunches, reverse crunches, and other isometric work (planks, palloff press, etc) are good, one is not better than all.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I read that targeted ab work could be counterproductive to your physique, depending on your goals. If you want a V-taper as a guy or an hourglass as a woman, making the abs grow, then, would make for a less defined waist. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dont-want-ripped-time-to-shape-hourglass-body.html
    I do isometric ab work occasionally, but it mostly it's just abs getting hit during compound lifts.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    In yoga we do the sun salutation which includes a lunge, high plank, low plank, cobra, downward facing dog and then often we will do nose to knee before transitioning to the warrior positions. I swear I can feel every muscle in my core engaging. I would do that flow instead of crunches. Even when I do them "properly" crunches hurt my neck.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I read that targeted ab work could be counterproductive to your physique, depending on your goals. If you want a V-taper as a guy or an hourglass as a woman, making the abs grow, then, would make for a less defined waist. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dont-want-ripped-time-to-shape-hourglass-body.html
    I do isometric ab work occasionally, but it mostly it's just abs getting hit during compound lifts.

Interesting, not entirely sure I agree. A lot of that v-taper comes from lat development to make you look a little wider and then narrowing in towards the waist. I find that my abdominal "V" is more prominent when I do ab work, specifically hanging leg raises and land mines.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't under-value the contribution of lats, but if you have a 26 vs 29 inch waist, you would need to grow lats a lot more with the larger waist to maintain the same proportions. And I can't say for sure that ab work grows abs, but I wouldn't know any other way... lol Some of the stuff I've read says that as long as you avoid oblique work, you won't look wider, but I don't really like ab work anyways.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like pikes. This tells u how to do them. They work both upper and lower abs together. Also, if u like to dance, there is a core focused workout called core rhythms. It really works ur abs and combines cardio as well.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I definitely don't under-value the contribution of lats, but if you have a 26 vs 29 inch waist, you would need to grow lats a lot more with the larger waist to maintain the same proportions. And I can't say for sure that ab work grows abs, but I wouldn't know any other way... lol Some of the stuff I've read says that as long as you avoid oblique work, you won't look wider, but I don't really like ab work anyways.

I would think oblique work would help to define the muscles so when your bodyfat is low enough they would be better tapered. Don't know, I still get a little oblique work in on occasion; I don't see any reason to ignore that body part.