Is anyone on Meds that CAUSE weight gain?

Options
I am trying to lose just under 100 pounds. I have seen little success in the past but want to know if there are other things I can be doing.

A lil history.
I am Bipolar and taking Lithium, Wellbutrin, and Risperdol.
I recently had thyroiditis which left me with hypothyroidism. I am now on Levothyroxine.

All combined, weigh gain has been an additional 25 pounds over the last 3 months. This is NOT from change in diet.

I just want to know what more I can do to help this along.

Replies

• donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and am on predisnolone at the moment (cortiosteroid). This not only causes weight gain, but changes the distribution of fat and is muscle destroying. BTW I also have Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroid).

I am just persisting because at least I am maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Weight training is very helpful along with HIIT.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Donna
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    HIIT? Thanks, not "feeling bad" meds have helped that thank goodness.
  • Landiecat
    Options
    HIIT? Thanks, not "feeling bad" meds have helped that thank goodness.
    HIIT
    High Intensity Interval Training c:

"A form of cardio training that involves cycles of high intensity bursts and low to moderate intensity recovery"
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    HIIT = high intensity interval training. Basically exercise where you ramp up the intensity for a period of time, go back to baseline, up the intensity again, etc. etc.
  • Mveler
    Options
    Ummmm Like 30 D Shred? and the Like?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and am on a daily dose of 150mcg of Levothyroxine, I am also on the Depo Provera injection, also known for it's not-so-wonderful weight gaining properties. I have just accepted I am on the stuff to help my health so the side effects are inevitable, but not unbeatable and stopped allowing myself to use them as an excuse. I have upped my exercise, cut down on my calories and am slowly (very slowly, sigh...) winning the battle. Good luck, we CAN do it!!

Edited to add: I also have arthritis in both hips which does limit my movement a little, but I know that although I will never get better, getting the weight off will certainly help! :)
  • Mveler
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and am on a daily dose of 150mcg of Levothyroxine, I am also on the Depo Provera injection, also known for it's not-so-wonderful weight gaining properties. I have just accepted I am on the stuff to help my health so the side effects are inevitable, but not unbeatable and stopped allowing myself to use them as an excuse. I have upped my exercise, cut down on my calories and am slowly (very slowly, sigh...) winning the battle. Good luck, we CAN do it!!

Edited to add: I also have arthritis in both hips which does limit my movement a little, but I know that although I will never get better, getting the weight off will certainly help! :)
    '

Nice to know. Thank you for the inspiration
  • Landiecat
    Options
    Ummmm Like 30 D Shred? and the Like?
    I don't know about 30DS specifically...but I consider most of her stuff circuit training..which I also consider lighter than HIIT.
    The only example I can think of as HIIT is Insanity, because I've done it.
    Maybe it's just insane.
  • six1908
    six1908 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm on anti-depressant meds and a couple other similar meds that can cause weight gain. When considering those I have to think to myself.. skinny and crazy or average and happy... I just find it takes longer to the lose the weight and gives me more reason to use this site in terms of accountability and food tracking. Often times the anti-depressants will put weight on you because many of them have a sedating side effect a basic type of histamine and it will cause the metabolism to slow down.
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose just under 100 pounds. I have seen little success in the past but want to know if there are other things I can be doing.

A lil history.
    I recently had thyroiditis which left me with hypothyroidism. I am now on Levothyroxine.

All combined, weigh gain has been an additional 25 pounds over the last 3 months. This is NOT from change in diet.

You can look up side affects of each medicine on the internet. It is the best way as you can check with your dosing. But a lot of meds to cause weight gain.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Interesting...WEllbutrin should offset the weight gain effects of those other medications. It's actually none to cause weight loss.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I feel soooo sooo sorry for you!!!!! Risperadol/Rispiridone is satan in pill form!!!! I gained a massive amount of weight on that drug the 3 years I took it. I was on 3mg. ugh. And by massive I mean over 100lbs. Never ever again!!!!

I am on a couple of others that can induce weight gain but so far I am happily losing weight, but I am forever traumatised by Rispiridone.

Wishing you good luck!!!!
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Oh...and I just got the bc implant, which did cause a small weight gain (1.5lbs) but that is off now and settling down :)
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yup and its frustrating. I have been monitoring what I am eating and trying to make the right decisions but find the scale doesnt move. I know I have to up my exercise portion.
  • Mveler
    Options

A lil history.

You can look up side affects of each medicine on the internet. It is the best way as you can check with your dosing. But a lot of meds to cause weight gain.

Thanks I know the side effects and which ones cause weigh gain, I check them before taking any medication. But my medicine is Life and Death. So stopping or altering is not an option.
  • Mveler
    Options
    Interesting...WEllbutrin should offset the weight gain effects of those other medications. It's actually none to cause weight loss.

Known to cause it but doesn't in everyone. this medication is also prescribed to help you quit smoking but this is a rare feat. And one med cannot outweigh the effects of the other three. But thanks, I did overlook the "loss" effect. Although it has proven to be of no worth to me.
  • Mveler
    Options
    I feel soooo sooo sorry for you!!!!! Risperadol/Rispiridone is satan in pill form!!!! I gained a massive amount of weight on that drug the 3 years I took it. I was on 3mg. ugh. And by massive I mean over 100lbs. Never ever again!!!!

I am on a couple of others that can induce weight gain but so far I am happily losing weight, but I am forever traumatised by Rispiridone.

Wishing you good luck!!!!

Yeah its a booger....I am working hard here..and won't quit. Hope to get off this med by Jan.
  • Mveler
    Options
    Oh...and I just got the bc implant, which did cause a small weight gain (1.5lbs) but that is off now and settling down :)

Bc implant?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Known to cause it but doesn't in everyone. this medication is also prescribed to help you quit smoking but this is a rare feat. And one med cannot outweigh the effects of the other three. But thanks, I did overlook the "loss" effect. Although it has proven to be of no worth to me.

I read about it because I was going to take it for depression -- they sometimes combine it with anti-psychotics to minimize weight gain. I wasn't trying to be snarky or rude, sorry if you took it that way.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    birth control implant. It is known to cause weight gain even in thin people. My gp knows I am extremely sensitive to WG effects on meds so we have a deal....any time she puts me on a med or birth control that can cause weight gain, we give it 10lbs to settle down...if I gain more than 10 I am off it!!! I will never again go through a h3ll again like I did with rispiridone. ugh.

On a side note, I took wellburtin (but not whilst on ripsiridone) and it did not cause weight loss, just psychosis, lol. Ended up in the hospital cos of that one...good times..not!

Wishing you the best on your journey!