KFC - Startling Realization!

Options
Despite the fact that I packed on 50 extra pounds in the last few years, I didn't do it by eatng fast food. I am not a fast food affictionado at all. Fast food is pretty much a last resort for me. Anyway, my eight year old daughter was telling me the other day that two kids on her bus were talking about KFC and how delicious it was and that she didn't think she had ever had it before. I thought about it for a while and agreed - she had never been to KFC. That means it's been **at least** eight years since I've been to KFC.

So I agreed to take her to KFC today for lunch. Since I'm trying to lose weight, I'm definitely not going to be partaking! It will be interesting to see what she says about it. I'll definitely post after she tries it. As a side note, although, she has never eaten KFC, she HAS had fried chicken. Every year or so, we fry chicken - so I'm not a total nun when it comes to fatty food!

Replies

• Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    KFC actually has some very good grilled chicken. Check out the nutrition info: http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/grilled.asp
  • Keltinator
    Options
    I can relate! I'm in university and have never had KFC, Arby's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell... probably too many others I can't think of. My family just never went there. We did have fast food-type pizza and McDonald's every once in a while, but the favourite was A&W. Now that I'm living on my own, I just have no desire to go there.

I had a fear of eating meat from any kitchen that wasn't my mom's, so that limited my food choices. I've never had a fast food burger. I don't think your daughter is missing out on anything! :laugh:
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I havent eaten at KFC since 2009.
    The ones here have gone steadily downhill, and the last time I ordered from there, I bought a grilled chicken wrap, and the chicken was slimy :sick: so I havent been back.

We have also stopped eating at all Fast Food places, not because we are trying to be healthy, but because we find all the food tastes like cardboard. Its far nicer and tastier to cook it at home and actually ENJOY what I'm eating!
  • ElleFerguson
    ElleFerguson Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like the above poster mentioned their grilled chicken is pretty good. As long as you aren't eating an entire bucket you shouldn't have any issues with going over you calories.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    KFC chicken is disgusting, be prepared for how salty it is. It was one of the first fast food meat meals I had after I resumed eating meat a few years ago (prior to that I was a vegetarian for 24 years), and it almost made me stop eating meat again.

The biscuits aren't bad though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I lived downwind of a KFC location, haven't been able to eat is since........
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Didn't end up going to KFC today. After her softball game, my husband decided we should all go to lunch. So we chose to go to Chilis. She was disappointed, so I ***promised***her that I'd take her tomorrow. Like some of you have said, I'm pretty sure she's not going to be impressed. They brine the meat at places like that and it is incredibly salty in addition to being greasy. I'll keep you posted...
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're bringing her, it'll take the 'Oooooo' factor out of the equation.

It is gross though. -shudder- LOL
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Why even start her wanting it?

My mom and dad got it last week and reported it being half raw.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I work near a Subway and I loathe walking by it...
    Many years ago I lived downwind of a KFC location, haven't been able to eat is since........
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As a side note... I'm ready this post and realize the ad above the post is for KFC coupons! Oh, the irony.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The closest KFC to where we live seems to also be the local "drug store" if you catch my drift. Or at least it was 4 years ago when we watched a deal "go down." It was awful, the location was pretty sketchy, and I don't regret anything except I miss the colonels secret seasonings for his chicken =\ Im a sucker for those biscuits too. Guess its for the best. /wistful sigh/
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I work near a Subway and I loathe walking by it...
    Really? I hate the smell of KFC, but I love the smell of Subway.
  • frank513
    frank513 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

what is the point of filling your kid with the crap the fast food places serve?

My gf came home with a two liter of mtn dew the other day.....as she was unpacking the groceries i walked in saw it and immediately poured it down the sink saying "We are not going to poison our kids anymore!"

Junk food is forbidden in the house at all now!

Dont give her the chance to take a liken to that stuff!
  • judcost
    judcost Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Advertisement works in beautiful ways!!!!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You know what's funny... the ad banner on the side of this page was for KFC. And the former me lo-hoooved KFC.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I haven't had KFC in a long time, partly due to the fact that the store here isn't great...I don't remember it always being soooo greasy, but maybe it was. It's like soaked in it and not crispy or crunchy at all, and sometimes the chicken is tough. The lettuce isn't very nice and the service at the local one while friendly, is extra slow....(I'm talking 15 minutes in drive through when you've had a really long day at work, lol)

I used to love Hungry Jacks (Burger King) Aussie Burgers too - I thought they were amazing. I had one several months back and...it was very tasteless. I much prefer a home cooked burger, and the patties are much tastier and juicier! (The lettuce is better too :p)
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you! I LOVE KFC, but haven't had their food in a long, long, time. We used to have it close to once a week or so, but, we got out of that habit a long time ago. Also, we live so close to a KFC, and frequently the delious smell travels over to us, and wow. But, we don't eat it any more. We don't eat at other fast food places either.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Popeye's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KFC
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

what is the point of filling your kid with the crap the fast food places serve?

My gf came home with a two liter of mtn dew the other day.....as she was unpacking the groceries i walked in saw it and immediately poured it down the sink saying "We are not going to poison our kids anymore!"

Junk food is forbidden in the house at all now!

Dont give her the chance to take a liken to that stuff!

Wow to both....:huh: