C25K Question

shannahrenee
shannahrenee Posts: 380
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question for anyone who is currently following the C25K program or has done it in the past. I started last night and it didn't seem very hard at all. Actually, it was harder for me to slow down to walk once I got started than I think it would have been to keep running. So my question is should I follow the plan exactly, because I don't want to overdo it or should I perhaps try to kick it up a notch and see how I feel then? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!! :smile:

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    I think that if you find week 1 to be too easy, go ahead and jump ahead to week 2. I'm on week 2, but have never once in my life been a runner so I definately needed week 1!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Just take Week 1 as an easy break and continue week 2 next week. It will get harder. :smile: The program really helps! I've been through it and ran a 5K in December! :smile:
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    I've done C25K in the past. When I was in better shape, the first week felt really easy to me too, but it won't stay that easy. What I have done before is to just do 2 of the workouts for the week, and then make the third workout the same walk/jog times as the next week. So, if week 1 feels really easy, you might do 2 of the week one workouts, but then for the third one do week 2. And then do the other 3 week 2 workouts, unless they also feel really easy. I wouldn't skip too many weeks ahead though because part of the process is getting your bones and muscles used to jogging, not just your heart and lungs.

I hope that helps.

-Alison
  • Thanks everyone. I'm definitely not a runner (yet!) so I'm sure it will get harder. I think I'll maybe just use this as a rest week or maybe do the last workout of the week from week 2 if I'm feeling super motivated. I really appreciate your input!
  • when I did C25k, I felt the first week was pretty easy as well. But I decided that I had made the decision to follow this program and that I was committed to doing it as the program is outlined. I knew that at some point, I would feel the program was too hard and just decided that it didn't matter what I "felt," I was committed to doing it.
  • when I did C25k, I felt the first week was pretty easy as well. But I decided that I had made the decision to follow this program and that I was committed to doing it as the program is outlined. I knew that at some point, I would feel the program was too hard and just decided that it didn't matter what I "felt," I was committed to doing it.

that's a really good sentiment. Thanks!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    If anyone plans on becoming more active via running, I HIGHLY suggest you go to your local running store (not foot locker or those shoe chains...they're useless), but a real running store. They will analysis your running gait and suggest the proper running shoe for your particular gait. This will reduce the possibility of injuries, and make the running experience alot more enjoyable. This is even more important when your heavier because of the extra added load on all your joints, ligaments, etc.

I got mine done last week and was found to be neutral with borderline over-pronation. I just had a cheap (over the counter Nike) shoe, and after my analysis, I tried a few shoes based on their suggestion. I settled for the Brooks DYAD 5 and the different is amazing.
This discussion has been closed.