Okay...Now what...you've lost all that weight....

Options
So you've lost all that weight, you're feeling better about yourself, you're comfortable in your own skin, you're proud of your achievement. The question that comes to mind is...Now what? Obviously, I am speaking rhetorically. However, the question is a burdensome thought that crosses the mind.

About me: I’ve been using MFP for several few months. I’ve never posted on here however. I am 41, married with 3 little ones. At my peak weight, I weighed in at a whopping 296 pounds but lost 19 before starting MFP. I was, for all intent and purposes, quite the hefty cal with a nice size gut. But not losing weight was no longer an option.

It wasn’t until one day I ended up at the doctors for my regular check up and she tried to pawn insulin off on me because I had an H-A1C of over 9.6.; but I refused it and outright told her, “No way!” Even though I knew an A1C of 9.6 put my blood sugar levels close to, if not over, 400mg/dl for a 3 month average. Cholesterol was in the mid 300’s. Just a mess…So, when the “threat” became real, it was time to wake up and take responsibility for my own life. After all, what man wants to leave a beautiful wife and kids alone? That was definitely the track my life was taking before starting MFP.

For years, I spent my time making excuse after excuse for my “weight.” My thyroid doesn’t work and the Synthroid isn’t working; I don’t have time; I’m in pain because back in ’92 I broke my Hip, Femur, PCL, Patellar Tendon, Meniscus, shoulder, etc…ALL IN ONE SHOT…it didn’t matter…there was one thing after the other. While it was all true, I used it as a crutch to justify being comfortable within my own skin.

It wasn’t until the Diabetes scare that those excuses had to stop. My wife, “Voncreepy2”, introduced me to MFP a while back but I dismissed it. Why do I need help? I am an independent thinker and can do this on my own. Well, I took her up on the challenge to use MFP and after that first visual of my eating habits that I realized I needed the assistance of MFP to get my *kitten* in gear and get my life under control.

I’m not going to bore you with details, but fast forward 5 plus months…I am now 72 pounds down from my original weight of 296 to 224. Do I feel better…well, that depends on your definition of feeling better. Honestly speaking, I feel like ****! I hurt all the time…and not because of any illness or anything, but because I work out regularly. The old adage, “no pain, no gain” applies all too well when trying to lose weight and getting healthy…but I still want to whoop the *kitten* of the first person that coined that phrase; it’s all to true.

So here I sit, down to a manageable weight. More than I anticipated. I work out regularly. I personally educated myself as best I could in the last 6 months on fitness and nutrition. I ended up developing a personal workout plan that puts me 4 on 1 off that works in isolation with the muscle groups. Now what?

For me, I want to work out to keep my health up to par. The diabetes H-A1C is normal, thyroid levels normal, Cholesterol is unbelievably low. I am, by all accounts, where I NEED to be…so to speak. But therein lays the root of my original question: Now what? I want to step it up. I’ve seen the changes physiologically and metabolically. But at the same time, I want to sit down and just relax. But I know my personality; FEAST OR FAMINE! So now, it becomes about upping my game for not only for health, but looks. And believe me, it wasn’t about the looks in the beginning. I was comfortable within my own skin then, I am now.

It’s all about the life style change. But the intensity at which we go at it is where I worry the most. Will I be able to sustain my enthusiasm for a healthy life style? Will I be able to remember how it felt to be told I need insulin (and the whole host of other health issues that when combined with diabetes meant a most certain early death). Bottom line up front: I don’t know. What I do know is that for the first time in several months, I splurged on a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich with salt pepper and ketchup and a vat of home-fries smothered in ketchup yesterday and I felt like crap; not emotionally, but physically. I didn’t feel guilty…I actually embraced it and devoured that breakfast like it was my last! But I ended up busting my *kitten* harder to work it off…now I am sore again!

For those who, like me, met your goal…now what? How do you sustain your enthusiasm and up your game without going down the road of old habits and chomping on that Taylor Ham sandwich? In the beginning, it was never about the “looks” for me but now I find I really like how I am shaping up to look and my wife likes it very well. Although I find some flaws, it gives me the drive to continue but it gets harder and harder each day! Maybe I can use increased muscle tone and strength as a motivator to keep me moving forward?!?! I don’t know. What I do know is, it’s not easy even after you reach that goal you set.

For those just starting out; keep it up. MFP works. I’ve learned that you will get out what you put in. Everyone is different. I had to have my major motivator before I reacted. But it wasn’t until the threat that scared me became real that I stopped with the BS excuses that kept me sedentary for so long that I was able to get where I need to be, “so to speak.” There will always be issues, as you can see I am struggling with a new challenge. But it’s a challenge worth fighting. Good luck to everyone.

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    First, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You've done an amazing job and should be proud of yourself.

For me, I've learned that I like having a goal to work towards or something to train for. I've taken up running, and though I may not be fast I am continually improving. In the spring and summer I do triathlons. Training for races gives me a structure to my workouts, keeps me accountable, and also keeps me motivated. I also work with a trainer and have some strength goals that I am working on.
    Every so often I find I need a physical and mental break, and I take it.
    As for the eating, I allow myself a splurge every so often. Actually, the reality is I eat what I want when i want. The difference is that now usually what I want is healthy. I often find that when I eat something my body is no longer accustomed to, I don't feel well the next day.

In many ways, maintenance is harder than losing. You don't have that constant positive feedback from watching the number on the scale go down. But then, you've worked so hard to get here, why go backwards. You have to keep in mind where you've come from, and all you've done to get here. Set some new goals, maybe try an activity you've never done before, and enjoy all the things you can do that maybe you coudn't (or wouldn't) have done before.
  • SDsd
    SDsd Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted this because it's a question that's been bugging me lately. In the past I've always lost the weight I want to and then lost motivation to keep it off. It's been harder than ever to motivate myself to exercise and lose weight this time and I really never want to have to go through this again. I find MFP very helpful in keeping me motivated. Coming up with recipes each day and entering my exercise has become a bit of an obsession. I'd be very interested to hear what other people have to say about this.

P.S well done on the weight loss! :)
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    :heart: So proud of you, baby!!! I am sure you will figure out how what you need to do to maintain. We'll journey together.
  • iwolf84
    Options
    I find that the best way to stay in shape is to find something, a sport, an activity, or a hobby, that will keep you there. For example, taking up some kind of martial arts like MMA, kick boxing, kung fu or jiujutsu. Or a sport like running, cycling, swimming, triathlons, baseball, basketball or even paintball (if running around and getting welts is your thing). Those sports require regular workouts to gain more performance. They also give you a 'goal', becoming faster, stronger, or going a greater distance whie performing that sport.

Personally, I recommend a martial art. There is probably a school near you, you'll get to be part of a group of people that are enjoying a sport, it is an individual sport, and you get to kick someones *kitten* every time you go in.... or get your *kitten* kicked yourself. Its good for stress relief and you get a nice confidence boost too.

Just find one that suits you better. The important thing about selecting a martial art is not the style itself, but the school, the instructors, and the students you will be working with.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm just starting and far from reaching my goal but I enjoyed your post. Very insightful and thought provoking and something to remember for when I do reach my goal. Well written and well said.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Build muscle.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This may sound trite, but do you have a "fat" picture(s) of yourself that you could have posted in strategic places in your home (ie/ fridge, etc.) - maybe that might help to keep you in maintenance mode.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Do I feel better…well, that depends on your definition of feeling better. Honestly speaking, I feel like ****! I hurt all the time…and not because of any illness or anything, but because I work out regularly. The old adage, “no pain, no gain” applies all too well when trying to lose weight and getting healthy…but I still want to whoop the *kitten* of the first person that coined that phrase; it’s all to true.

Is that normal? I work out regularly, and I don't hurt all the time - on the contrary, it has helped with pain that I had previously. And I've lost fat and gained muscle. Frankly, if working out regularly meant being in pain all the time, I wouldn't do it. I work out to improve my quality of life.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Build muscle.

This...kind of. I set new fitness goals that have nothing to do with weight loss. Right now I am working on strength training and am working towards building upper body strength so I can do a pull up. :bigsmile:
  • cerwin17
    cerwin17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One tool that you might consider using to keep motivated is the website Fitocracy. It's a social media site based on fitness, and it lets you track workouts for "points", and if you get enough points you can "level up." I just joined it about a week ago and I'm already finding I'm a lot more motivated to exercise. Best of luck on maintaining!
  • voncreepy
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's Everyone. All very insightful. I guess the main overall theme for me is to find an activity that will keep me motivated. I guess one of the things I forgot to mention, with regard to the pain, is that I have old injuries Army I sustained that forced me to end my military career. I know it's not an excuse; however it does limit me somewhat in sports (more than likely contact sports). I currently have a PCL tear and instability in my knee that was never repaired because it wasn't found until after all the other injuries (Hip, Femur, Patellar Tendon Tear, blah, blah, blah). So I do find my limited in activities like running fast. Although I will admit, I do run on a limited basis for not more than 30 minutes right now (3 miles) (shhhh…don’t tell my doctor). Either way, It’s imperative upon me to stay motivated and charge on so I will be looking at what activities I can do. Thanks again!!!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's Everyone. All very insightful. I guess the main overall theme for me is to find an activity that will keep me motivated. I guess one of the things I forgot to mention, with regard to the pain, is that I have old injuries Army I sustained that forced me to end my military career. I know it's not an excuse; however it does limit me somewhat in sports (more than likely contact sports). I currently have a PCL tear and instability in my knee that was never repaired because it wasn't found until after all the other injuries (Hip, Femur, Patellar Tendon Tear, blah, blah, blah). So I do find my limited in activities like running fast. Although I will admit, I do run on a limited basis for not more than 30 minutes right now (3 miles) (shhhh…don’t tell my doctor). Either way, It’s imperative upon me to stay motivated and charge on so I will be looking at what activities I can do. Thanks again!!!

triathlon??? it's great for cross training :)
  • voncreepy
    Options
    Tiriathalon is an option...have to look locally to what out here in Jersey. I'm quite certain there is quite a bit of "Jersey Strong" activities that include Triathalons...lol
  • darjo64
    Options
    Wow, I just read your post and know what to expect when I reach my goal. Congratulations to you!
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on your success! And honestly... That's a Queston I've pondered too.
    I know when I reach my goal weight, management is going to be important
    I'll have to develope a new relationship with food yet again,
    Figure out what my body needs to maintain... add in socializing
    Again ectect its tough but its a very personal problem to, everyone worries about different things
    .. Im really not sure at this point
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Tiriathalon is an option...have to look locally to what out here in Jersey. I'm quite certain there is quite a bit of "Jersey Strong" activities that include Triathalons...lol

Have you thought about the obstacle course/mud runs? Tough Mudder is the most well known, but at 10-12 miles might be too much on your knee. There are several smaller scale ones out there, though. There have been so many 5ks popping up lately (Warrior Dash, Rugged Maniac, Run for Your Life, etc). It might be an option to look at if you're into that kind of thing. The obstacles break up the running, and the emphasis is more on teamwork than finishing fast, so you don't have to push your knees too hard. :)
  • voncreepy
    Options
    Wow..thanks everyone for the reply's. Tons of great ideas. I like the idea of the tough mudder...there's an event in my region on the 21st of October. I may just find myself checking it out. I used to love partaking in the Ranger Challenges and Obstacle courses when I was in the Army. And now that I went from the physique of Eric Cartman (South Park) to Eric Northman (True Blood), I want to make certain I stay that way. Honestly, I developed a weight training plan to keep me up to par going 4 on 1 off working each muscle group (Day 1: Chest, Neck, Shoulders; Dat 2: Legs, Abdomin, Lower Back; Day 3: Arms, Lats and Upper Back; Day 4: Weighted Training, Cardio, Calastenics, Plyometrics, etc) in order to reduce the event of muscle fatigue and soreness. Thus far it's working. The one thing I don't want to do is bcome bulked up. No offense to anyone, but I don't personally find having huge muscles that impead the ability of me to touch my elbows together too appealing. Just ot my thing. Keeping a good healthy cut in the muscles and still bench a good amount works for me. Once again, thanks for the ideas!!!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would just add one small note here, which is that I know for myself, continuing the accountability of logging my food is crucial to maintenance! My lack of consistency with logging right now is definitely preventing me from moving forward in achieving my goals (and I am working on that!), and I know in the past I have immediately backslidden into old habits as soon as I have gotten where I want to be - because I stop keeping a food journal. Absolutely I support setting new goals in fitness, exercise, sports or competition. But as you have already seen, tracking what you eat keeps your eyes open!! :smile:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I was checking out Tough Mudder too, when someone else posted about doing it - it sounds fun. I think I'd find it too hard (and I wouldn't want electric shocks!) but you'd probably be up to it since you've been in the Army.