What is going on - i.e. hunger?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not "just a feeling." It's a complex physiological and hormonal response that's dependent on what and how much you eat vs how active you are.

Okay... and why would I become more hungry after eating more than usual?

So if you eat more would it be the metabolism resetting itself?
    Yes. Hunger, while having some physiological signals from the stomach, is mostly a hormonal response, and adjusts based on your eating habits. That's one reason why people tend to feel hungry at about the times they normally eat, hormones have adjusted to that cycle. Additionally, when you under eat (or eat at a prolonged deficit,) leptin and ghrelin down regulate each other, muting hunger pangs. It's part of an evolutionary survival response, hunger pangs are distracting, and when food is scarce, distraction means possibly missing food. The opposite happens when you increase calories, both leptin and ghrelin "reset," which is why you suddenly feel ravenously hungry, as metabolic function is returning to normal.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not "just a feeling." It's a complex physiological and hormonal response that's dependent on what and how much you eat vs how active you are.

Okay... and why would I become more hungry after eating more than usual?

So if you eat more would it be the metabolism resetting itself?
    Yes. Hunger, while having some physiological signals from the stomach, is mostly a hormonal response, and adjusts based on your eating habits. That's one reason why people tend to feel hungry at about the times they normally eat, hormones have adjusted to that cycle. Additionally, when you under eat (or eat at a prolonged deficit,) leptin and ghrelin down regulate each other, muting hunger pangs. It's part of an evolutionary survival response, hunger pangs are distracting, and when food is scarce, distraction means possibly missing food. The opposite happens when you increase calories, both leptin and ghrelin "reset," which is why you suddenly feel ravenously hungry, as metabolic function is returning to normal.

Ahhokay good to know, very interesting information- thanks! =)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I eat clean...

Clean means so many things. I'd be thinking it's possible you're eating more high glycaemic index stuff.

Or it could mean Blue Poptars w/ Windex