Can i lose weight & not exercise?

Options
I know what people are already going to say about me, but just hear me out. I am trying to lose this weight and i have been trying to what feels like FOREVER now. & i see all my friends on here losing the weight and getting their victory's and here i am with nothing still. Although this is my schedule M,T,TR i go to school from 7:30 until 1:45 & most of the times on those days i have to work from 2:30 until 10 at night. on W it's from 6:30 until 1:45 & the same with work 2:30 until 10. Now, work isn't always on the same days but when I'm not working i do try to get a little exercise in. On the days that i work as well by the time i get home i have homework to do, i need to take a shower and i don't get into bed until almost 12 at night, and i legit don't have time for a workout.

But my question is, is it healthy for me to work out randomly every once in a while or would it be better to not work out?
I'm not asking because I'm lazy i just really need advice on what to do.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    To answer the thread title, yes, you can lose weight with no exercise. However, if you don;t do any resistance training, you will not be happy with what you have left. Try to get in at least 2 weight lifting sessions per week and do heavy barbell lifting. If you can only do 2 days then do this:

Day 1
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Overhead Press
    Chin Ups (assisted if needed)

More on lifting http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Alternatively you could look into bodyweight routines which you could just do at home. I haven't researched them myself, but "you are your own gym" gets recommended a lot.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    As far as health goes, some exercise is better than none. To answer your original question, yes you can lose weight without exercise. The main thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, and that you can achieve through diet alone. People can, and do, lose significant amounts of weight without exercise.

Exercise has tons of benefits, both for your general health and for weightloss, and I would never advise not exercising, if you can possibly fit it in. Apart from anything, it will help you to retain lean mass and lose mostly fat rather than muscle. Perhaps look at exercise dvds or online workouts that you could fit into a short space of time. For example, Jillian Michaels' DVDs (well the 30 Day Shred anyway) fit into 20 minutes, so you might be able to fit that in say 3 times a week. There are also lots of short, free workouts you can do at home online, on youtube, or sites like bodyrock.tv. Other than those, maybe try to fit more walking into your day, say if you could walk to school or work, or part of the way there, that would help.

When you're really busy, if you want exercise to be part of your life, you just have to make it a priority. At the moment, going to work, doing homework, taking a shower etc are (obviously!) priorities to you, so you get them done. If exercise is important to you, you'll find a way. :smile: Do what you can though. I definitely wouldn't give up the "once in a while" stuff in defeat. It's a start, and better than none at all.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and not exercise, but good luck maintaining any weight loss! Exercise when you can...weekends, days off from school, days you don't have school AND work...you can prolly still get at least 3 days per week in...
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    People lose weight without exercising every single day. Losing weight is a lot more about food consumption and creating a calorie deficit.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've only exercised a small handful of times, and I'm losing weight. I've got a lot to lose (80lbs +), so I'm focused on my nutrition more than exercise. I understand that I will not look good naked if I don't exercise, so when I am down to where I'm comfortable with myself, I will start a routine, maybe join the gym again, who knows.

Yes, you can lose weight without exercise. Sporadic exercise is better than none at all.

Oh, and stop comparing yourself to others!! Everyone loses differently, and it'll come off in chunks more so than a pound each week!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you're asking if a little exercise is better than none at all, my answer is yes. Do what you can, eat within your daily allowance, and make healthy food choices.

Can you work out before school? Maybe even get up 30min early and do calisthenics in your living room? Anything is better than nothing.

I have to be at work at 6:30am, so I get up at 4:40am and run around 5 miles before my shift. Sometimes you just have to make some sacrifices.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Commit to monitoring your food. If you're honest with your logging weight will come off.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You can lose a lot of weight by just changing your diet. Obviously the best combination is a healthy diet along with regular exercise, but change the way you eat and it can go a long way.

But you have to think of this change as a lifestyle change, not something you can just turn on and off. And you really should just fit in the time to exercise. We all have busy lives and we all can make excuses, but it's those of us that push through those excuses and exercise and eat right that see the most progress and stay healthy long term.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i don't exercise on a regular basis either and i have lost 22 lbs so far and my goal was 20lbs. i found knowing what i was eating and sticking to my cals and portion control was more important for me to be able to maintain this for the rest of my life. I do exercise occasionally. I do 30ds and rin30, when it was nicer here i was taking a walk daily with my puppy. but i am not scheduling it in, if i have the time great if not it's ok..
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, and just work out whenever you think you have enough time :)
    A random workout is better than none.

Good luck <3
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    absolutely. i just started working out recently, but i lost all the weight by just dieting.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes you can is the simple answer.

But in my experience I find a little exercise helps, not only does it help you burn a few more calories but will help tone up you body too. (Plus if you exercise you get to eat a bit more too!)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Commit to monitoring your food. If you're honest with your logging weight will come off.

^^^^^^ this.
    it may take longer but you will lose...
    alittle exercise is better than no exercise :)
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to lose weight and keep it off if you can exercise. Can you make some small changes to your daily life .... walking more will help for example. Or ride a bike to school?
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The number one indicator of maintaining weight loss is?

You guessed it: exercise.

Squeeze it in wherever you can. Every. Day.

Also maximize your N.E.A.T. calorie burn by parking at the back of parking lots, stairs instead elevators, etc.

And with that, I'm off for a quick 25 minute run. Best of luck to you.
  • JamieAlcorn
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercise. With that said I would like to give you an idea of what happens when you do that though. My brother was morbidly obese 400+ lbs and several years ago he decided to lose weight. He went on a "starvation" type diet with little to no exercise. Did he lose weight you might ask.....Yep, he got down to 180 lbs in less than a year but he looked like a wadded up newspaper, gaunt and skinny with wrinkled saggy skin and no muscle (his body had eaten most of it during his weight lose) Now, a few years later he is back up to 240lbs again, unhappy, and still out of shape. Weight lose takes time, and effort. In order to feel the full effects of changing your lifestyle and enjoying your new body you have to work out.... Now, that does not mean you have to pound the gym 6 days a week to get results, in fact an intense 15-30 min cardio workout and using some dumbells a couple days a week will make a huge difference in how you look and feel. You can squeeze in 15-30 min somewhere during the day right? I found that it just take the effort to do it, and honestly I know its cliche' but I do feel better after I do it. Good luck and I hope you get where you want to go!
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight without exercise, especially when you are young - like in your 20's. But exercise gives added long term benefits. Most of the people that I know who lost weight through diet alone couldn't keep it off long term. I know what you mean about having a BUSY life. I started getting up an hour earlier than normal and I get my work outs in then. That way it is done and out of the way and I can get on with the rest of my day. I find that regular exercise gives me the energy to run 24/7 and still feel good. You may want to try that.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advise, i will really keep this into consideration.
    I will make sure that i work out when i can as others said some is better than none at all.
    I have Jillian Micheal's DVD's and i did the 30DS and completed it but i didn't get to do it everyday.
    Those workout DVD's are for people that can do them within a months time, and i'm not one of those people if it's the summer then yes i can and will (:

As well as strength i do, do that. I lift 5 lb weights and i do varies little different strength workouts along with crunches, sit ups, and push ups for a little mini workout when i know i don't have time to do anything major.
    I try to eat as healthy as i can but i think i need to step my game up a little more and eat wayy better than what i am.

& to the comment about walking/riding a bike to work or school.
    School is about 50 miles round trip i'd never make it there unless i started at like 2 in the morning lol.
    & work is about 10 miles round trip and that's just not going to make it for me lol id have to come back home and take a shower before even going to work.
    I do have a treadmill and i walk on it from time to time. (:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    30ds and her other dvd's arn't made just for one who can complete it in 30 days. this time around i have been doing it for almost 2 months and still have a few days left to do. I do it to keep me in shape not to get amazing results in 30 days. I know if you did it as a program / challenge you will see those results in 30 days but for me i want to stay stronger and keep slim so by doing it 3 days a week, seems to be working just fine. i don't want to lose my definition i have gained from it, so a few days a week is all i need to keep it there...without losing and staring from scratch again. I am not looking for huge results and being so defined but a bit tighter... those dvd's do it.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    you can, but if you look hard enough, you shouldn't have to. Between classes, can you walk around the building or take the steps to the top floor and back down? Find a place to do a handful of pushups? If you drive, can you park a block or two away and walk (or jog) the difference? Use the bathroom on the far side of campus? 10 minutes a day can make a difference, even 5 minutes is better than none.

Pair sneaking in little bits of activity here and there with watching your food like a hawk (veggies are your friends), and you can totally do it.