Public pool told me floats weren't for public use...?

Options
Aside from walking, swimming is one of my main forms of exercise. I go every Sunday, without fail, when there aren't as many people using the pool.

The thing is, I'm a horrible swimmer - without a float, I actually have to hold on to the side with one hand and swim along with the rest of me. Last time I went, I asked the lifeguard if I could use a float (they have a huge heap of them sitting in the little corridor off the changing rooms) and was told that 'the floats aren't for public use'.

Thankfully the lifeguard let me use one eventually, but only after he'd seen exactly how terrible I was at swimming. I'm worried that I'll go tomorrow, be told I can't use one, and that'll be that. I hate being confined to the side; I feel like I'm getting in the way and it's just embarrassing.

Is my pool just weird for not letting the public use floats, or is this quite a common thing? I was wondering whether I should complain to the staff about it as well, because it's a bit unfair on poor swimmers like myself. The lifeguard wasn't rude or anything - in fact, he was quite kind to let me use one after all - but not being allowed to use floats makes me feel a bit like I shouldn't be in the pool because I'm a poor swimmer.

Replies

• Goosiesnougs
    Options
    um.......you could always bring your own.
  • gigglemachine
    gigglemachine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe the floats belong to a club that swim there? At my local pool there is loads of equipment for the different clubs (kayaking, synchonised swimming, polo etc) that pay to use the pool at certain times each week.

You can always buy a float, not sure where you live but in the UK you can get them sports direct. Perhaps ebay and amazon will have them too.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    In my experience, this sort of policy is not uncommon, but it's been a while since I used public pools. Honestly though, if you're that poor of a swimmer, perhaps you should consider a couple of lessons--even a little help in a group session might be enough to make you feel more confident so a float wasn't necessary.
  • skinnynerd
    Options
    They are probably for swimming lessons. Buy your own, they are under $5.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a public pool, so I am not sure if having a bunch of floats that the public cannot use it common or not. Can you bring your own float or take swimming lessons?
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That's weird. What else would they be there for if not for public use? I would ask someone other than a lifeguard (like a front desk staff member) if the lifeguard was mistaken. It seems weird... maybe he meant they were only for use during certain classes or something. Our YMCA pool has a big pile of floats they use for classes, but they are also available for use any other time.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    They are probably for swimming lessons. Buy your own, they are under $5.

I thought about this, too... but there's the possibility they won't allow outside pool stuff, either.
  • maeve1988
    Options
    In Germany it is common that you can't use the pool floats, too. But in quite a few pools you can buy them there, too.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Our public pool always has a heap of stuff laying around that aren't for public to use. I would buy my own and take it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    um.......you could always bring your own.

Dind, Ding,Ding! We have a winner!
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I would take my own and if they told me then that I couldn't use it....I would use it to beat them...jk
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they have them if they aren't for public use. I don't understand what that means. Do they use them for classes or something?
    I would talk to the manager and ask them to change their policy. I would certainly think they would encourage swimmers with all levels of ability.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would talk to someone else first,then if they can"t loan them out,ask if you can buy/bring your own.Also,check into the cost of swimming lessons to increase your confidence.I am so proud of you for going and working through your fears.Don't let this get you down,keep swimming.:)
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would talk to someone else first,then if they can"t loan them out,ask if you can buy/bring your own.Also,check into the cost of swimming lessons to increase your confidence.I am so proud of you for going and working through your fears.Don't let this get you down,keep swimming.:)
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that they were saying that you couldn't use those specific floats, because they are not for the public. I went to a pool that had floats, but they were reserved for swimming lessons/swim teams/etc. The people who went just to swim were not supposed to use them. You could always bring your own.

If swimming is something you are learning to enjoy, you might want to look into adult swimming classes to help you build your confidence and safety levels.
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    *facepalm* I actually never thought of buying them. I've only taken swimming up recently so it didn't really cross my mind. I'll see about it on Monday when I can get to Sports Direct :)

Thanks for all your advice, guys! And I'll ask about swimming lessons when I go tomorrow as well :)