Starting weights

I stopped in the fitness section of Target last night to price some hand weights. They had a 20 pound barbell that I could barely do two curls with. I was able to do the 15 pound one pretty easily and did 5 without feeling any pain. If I were to purchase one, should I go ahead and start with the 20 pound one? Any opinions?

Replies

• I'm English and use kgs.. but 2.2lb is a kilo, meaning the barbell is around 9kg. I can very easily lift/squat with a 10kg (so just a little more than the Target barbell) and I only weigh 50kg myself. I would purchase the 20.. if you can easily do the 15 then you need to aim higher and push yourself.
    Alternatively you could buy some dumbbells?
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    To be honest, if you want to lose fat and are overweight, less weight more reps. I do 2 sets of 12 reps with 3.3lb dumbbells. I will eventually graduate to 5lbs (and so on) and do more sets and reps. But you need to start out low. I have written down a routine workout plan and follow that when I work out. I am trying to do (This is an opinion of an obese old lady who just started out btw)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I'm English and use kgs.. but 2.2lb is a kilo, meaning the barbell is around 9kg. I can very easily lift/squat with a 10kg (so just a little more than the Target barbell) and I only weigh 50kg myself. I would purchase the 20.. if you can easily do the 15 then you need to aim higher and push yourself.
    Alternatively you could buy some dumbbells?

Dumbells is actually what I meant. hahaha

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. It's just always nice to have someone else tell you the same thing. Thanks.

That is the heaviest dumbells that they had. The store didn't have nearly as much variety as what I found on their website.
  • WendyTerry420
    To be honest, if you want to lose fat and are overweight, less weight more reps. I do 2 sets of 12 reps with 3.3lb dumbbells. I will eventually graduate to 5lbs and do more sets and reps. But you need to start out low. I have written down a routine workout plan and follow that when I work out. (This is an opinion of an obese old lady who just started out btw)

I think that 3 pounds is good for doing 30DS, but I want to really push my muscles. In NROLFW, he is saying that you should start with weights as heavy as you can do and then do fewer reps. These are for my arms. I severely need to build my arm muscles. I have become such a wimp. When I was 15, I could bench press 150 pounds, now I can barely do 50 since It has been over 20 years since I was 15. :tongue:

I don't know what I can do with my legs other than the fact that I can run and I weigh 227. :laugh:
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    I guess it depends how many arm exercises are you planning to do lol If you plan on doing many of them, I wouldn't suggest 20lb dumbbells. I hope you get the advice you're looking for though. How tall are you again? I wonder if we are basically the same size.
    Plus we have similar goals :)
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    That is the heaviest dumbells that they had. The store didn't have nearly as much variety as what I found on their website.

If you have a Sports Authority or a ****'s Sporting Goods or other type of sporitng good store, try shopping there. They will have a much larger selection (and I wouldn't want to pay for shipping!). Also, a lot of people have suggested craigslist for weights--some have found full sets for very cheap.

ETA--omg, that is D-i-c-k-s sporting goods (hopefully that works). Thanks a lot censor in the sky!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    is joining a gym an option? Only problem with getting 20# dumbbells is that eventually you will want to bump up and then by 25, 30 etc etc...you could get the bowflex select tech ..they are kind of expensive but you can increase them in increments of five pounds; they have one set that goes up to 50 and another to 90....

I would go with the gym if you can then you can use all the free weights you want and machines, etc...
  • WendyTerry420
    I guess it depends how many arm exercises are you planning to do lol If you plan on doing many of them, I wouldn't suggest 20lb dumbbells. I hope you get the advice you're looking for though. How tall are you again? I wonder if we are basically the same size.
    Plus we have similar goals :)

Well to build muscles, they say to do fewer reps with heavier weights. Lighter weights with more reps is more like cardio than weight training. I plan to do more cardio with the legs and more heavy weights with my arms. I am 5' 4" and a *severe* pear-shaped body. If I can build up my arms and shoulders with heavier weights, then hopefully I will look less lop-sided when I get down to goal weight.

My starting weight was 263. Current weight is 227. Goal weight is 150ish.
  • WendyTerry420

If you have a Sports Authority or a ****'s Sporting Goods or other type of sporitng good store, try shopping there. They will have a much larger selection (and I wouldn't want to pay for shipping!). Also, a lot of people have suggested craigslist for weights--some have found full sets for very cheap.

ETA--omg, that is D-i-c-k-s sporting goods (hopefully that works). Thanks a lot censor in the sky!

Yes, we have a D-ic-ks here. I just didn't venture that way last night. I have been using household objects for now and just getting some prices to know how much money to save. We just happened to be at Target. The 20 pound ones were $30.
  • WendyTerry420
    is joining a gym an option? Only problem with getting 20# dumbbells is that eventually you will want to bump up and then by 25, 30 etc etc...you could get the bowflex select tech ..they are kind of expensive but you can increase them in increments of five pounds; they have one set that goes up to 50 and another to 90....

I would go with the gym if you can then you can use all the free weights you want and machines, etc...

There is a community center with a weight room that I hoped to join, but my stupid employer cut my hours for October, so I was trying to figure out if I wanted to go ahead about spend a small amount to get started, then maybe late November I will have the money to start going there.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    To be honest, if you want to lose fat and are overweight, less weight more reps. I do 2 sets of 12 reps with 3.3lb dumbbells. I will eventually graduate to 5lbs (and so on) and do more sets and reps. But you need to start out low. I have written down a routine workout plan and follow that when I work out. I am trying to do (This is an opinion of an obese old lady who just started out btw)

Incorrect. If you want to lose weight, eat a deficit of calories. If you want some real benefit from lifting, lift something heavier than the objects you already lift in everyday life.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

Incorrect. If you want to lose weight, eat a deficit of calories. If you want some real benefit from lifting, lift something heavier than the objects you already lift in everyday life.

^

Do yourself a favor and get a membership to a gym with a full weight room.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I'd recommend getting some sort of adjustable dumbbells. You won't be using the same weight for every exercise, so buying just one pair of dumbbells is pointless. Plus, as a beginner you will progress up the weights quickly, also making just one set pointless. Bowflex and Iron Gym make nice adjustable ones but there are cheaper options out there too (like CAP etc)..

And yes, low reps and high weights are the answer. That's why you want adjustable DBs, so you can keep the weight heavy as you get stronger.
  • WendyTerry420
    I'd recommend getting some sort of adjustable dumbbells. You won't be using the same weight for every exercise, so buying just one pair of dumbbells is pointless. Plus, as a beginner you will progress up the weights quickly, also making just one set pointless. Bowflex and Iron Gym make nice adjustable ones but there are cheaper options out there too (like CAP etc)..

And yes, low reps and high weights are the answer. That's why you want adjustable DBs, so you can keep the weight heavy as you get stronger.

Thanks. I will look into that. I am still debating about paying for a membership or getting my own stuff at home.