Withdrawals!!!!

Options
I am only almost 2 weeks into a calorie budgeting plan. For 3 days now I have had pretty intense withdrawals- just feeling really really really hungry, and rather irritable in the morning. I see from google searching that fat/carb withdrawal is well documented and common a few weeks into it. One suggestion I saw was to take vitamin C which seemed really reasonable to me so, I will do that. But, I want to know how long this will last, so, I can look toward the light at the end of the tunnel. Will this be forever, I don't think I can handle it??? To my buddies in the fitness world and the inspirational friends who have changed their lives already.... HELP???!!!!!!!

Replies

• mylove0mylife
    Options
    Try budgeting in for a small splurge, or if you're not exercising add in exercise so you can enjoy that yummy food!

You can also see if you can find recipes online for lower calories/healthier versions of delicious comfort foods. I found a Shepard's pie recipe that used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potato. It was actually pretty good, an had a lot less calories and fat in it!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can up your protein...your diary looks really good but maybe the foods you're eating are just not filling enough.
  • curvychrissy
    curvychrissy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As well as looking for new recipes, I am working on making my usual standard recipes less calorie rich, that helps some. But, I still wonder if I will feel hungry as long as I am in a negative energy balance. I have been doing exercise to earn more calories for stuff I want. Camping last night I splurged a little at the grill and on the wine and went over quite a bit.
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It should take only a couple of weeks for your body to "reset" and get into the new diet. Don't lose faith in yourself! As with any other addiction (and, yes, it's technically an addiction - the food you eat help control what your body produces and any sudden change is the same as an addiction withdrawal) the first month or so is the hardest.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If your REALLY hungry inbetween meals. Try to drink a glass of water then wait 15 mins. If your still hungry try to eat fresh fruit of veggies.

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • curvychrissy
    Options
    I will definitely explore ways to use more filling foods and more protein. I like beef soooooo much, and I think the solution is to get more buffalo (expensive but, if we buy by the quarter and freeze it it costs just a little more than beef). I got some suggestions for fiber rich snacks to help be more full when those small meal portions come my way. Suggestions were a chia gel, which sounds interesting, and pre-prepared green beans lightly saute'd with garlic and soy left in the fridge for random snacky's. I think I'll try to get more chicken into my big salad meals as well.
  • curvychrissy
    Options
    Yay! maybe there is an end to the grouchies and growlies.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I'd bet money youre not eating enough. Also some tips for thought:
    1) It takes 2 weeks to kick a craving
    2) People who crave sugar or have a "sweettooth" are generally deficient in chromium - an essential micronutrient for insulin sensitivity. If this is you, consider taking 500mg chromium picolinate daily.
    3) Extremely low calorie diets may work to shed weight real fast for a week or two but the body fights back and cause what I like to call yo-yo dieting: lose 10lbs too fast, go on a binge from crash dieting, gain 15, go back to the same bad too strict diet....repeat.
    4) Your environment influences you! Are you surrounding yourself in areas that don't match your dietary/fitness goals? Consider a change.
    5) If you find yourself ravenously craving one particular food group or item... that means you're deficient in something mandatory:
    i.e.: B vitamins, iron, creatine deficiency may make you crave red meat. So go eat it!
  • typicallytami
    Options
    Chrissy,

My 'withdrawals' typically last 3 days. Although I went on vacation last week and left my diet at home (for 4 days) and it actually took me 4 days to get back into the swing of things. I am doing the ViSalus diet and it is working great. However it involves drinking sweet shakes. I am absolutely loving it. For the first time in my life, I am having total food cravings. Two weeks ago, I was craving pizza... Which is totally strange for me. I rarely eat pizza. But it was all I could think about. So for lunch one day, I went to an Italian restaurant and got a small (semi-healthy) salad and I had a lot of garlic bread. Usually I can have two small slices of the bread. This particular day, I had several slices... And my pizza craving was over. I was craving the carbs. Then last week I was craving steak. Another rarity for me. One night a week I go to a sports bar with some friends. I don't eat there. I just go to socialize. This particular night, as luck would have it, two of the guys there ordered steak. My mom and I were going to a restaurant and I was planning on going to get grilled chicken, because it is my favorite... But when I saw hamburger steak on the menu, I knew I needed to have it. I scraped the gravy off and ate my collard greens with it (I am a southern girl!) and my craving was sated. I am a firm believer in sensibly feeding my cravings. I still crave chocolate a lot. So I bought these Nature Valley granola crackers with dark chocolate on it. 1 cracker has 80 calories and it is usually the perfect amount for what I am needing.
    Chrissy, what kind of diet are you on?
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    make sure and eat at the same times each day. it becomes your new routine, and your body stops expecting food outside of those times.

give it time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You seem to be eating a reasonable amount of calories and you fats and carbs are also in a decent range. It just may take a little adjusting to calorie restriction. High fiber foods with low calorie load like apples and other veggies may help with satiety.