For those of you who have ALREADY done P90X

Options
I am about to start next week along with C25K (I'll be in my second week). So my questions are which program did you do, classic, lean or doubles? Did you use a pull up bar or resistance bands and did you follow the P90X nutrition program? I am consuming 1200 calories now should I increase my calorie intake? add more protein or adjust any of my other nutrients? fat, carbs, sugar etc? Did you work out 6 days a week, more or less? How much success did you have?

Replies

• _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I haven't completed it (in the first week of phase 2) but I'll comment on what I've done.....I'm doing classic (tried lean a few years ago and got really bored with it). I've got a pull up bar that fits in the doorway, and 5, 8, 10 and 15 lb dumbells. I took a few recipes from the nutrition plan and changed my macros, but didn't (and am not) following the plan. I found it was pretty much impossible for me to hit the protein threshold for phase 1, unless I ate half a chicken for every meal. You will definitely need more than 1200 calories, and yes, increase the protein. I think the idea of phase 1 is that you increase protein and cut carbs so that your body uses what is on hand for energy (thus the title "Fat Burner"). I try to work out 6 days a week, but sometimes I'm just too tired. I just pick up where I left off, or exchange a cardio workout for a 3 or 4 mile run. As for success.....not yet, but then, I'm not done. I am definitely getting stronger but am definitely not seeing any infomercial worthy results. I do know that at only 4 weeks in, that's OK and I expect to start seeing some movement in the next few weeks.
  • determined_01
    Options
    I know there are more of you out there....
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I am about to start next week along with C25K (I'll be in my second week). So my questions are which program did you do, classic, lean or doubles? Did you use a pull up bar or resistance bands and did you follow the P90X nutrition program? I am consuming 1200 calories now should I increase my calorie intake? add more protein or adjust any of my other nutrients? fat, carbs, sugar etc? Did you work out 6 days a week, more or less? How much success did you have?

Doing P90X while Doing C25K you're going to have to increase your calories a LOT. Probably in the neighborhood of 2500-3000. 1200 is for a sedentary person ONLY and even then a smallish woman.
  • determined_01
    Options

Doing P90X while Doing C25K you're going to have to increase your calories a LOT. Probably in the neighborhood of 2500-3000. 1200 is for a sedentary person ONLY and even then a smallish woman.
    YIKES! I don't think I have that much food in my house. I think I'd end up throwing garbage in my gob to reach that point defeating the "staying healthy" point. Although there are high calorie high protein foods out there...now i'm curious...
  • determined_01
    Options
    GIGGITY
  • determined_01
    Options
    Getting annoyed
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Practice more patience. You are going to need it if you intend to succeed at losing weight.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I am currently doing c25k and I can imagine that if you are doing p90x you will need alot more calories!
  • KellyKral
    Options

If you're getting frustrated with P90X, try the Insanity program. Its not as hard as P90 (but still hard!) and you don't need equipment. There is a simple formula to determine how many calories you need to consume daily along with the nutrition plan. I'll friend you and if you want it, I'll send it to you. Good luck!
  • determined_01
    Options
    No i'm not annoyed with P90X. I've done some of it years ago so I know what to expect. Plus if you read my original post, I'm starting next week. I'm annoyed that I have to keep bumping the thread to reach more people to comment on it. Just trying to get some answers so I can plan accordingly.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To start: I'm male, age 28, 6'2" and currently 194lbs; my goal was to break through the plateau I've been on this summer (mostly from slacking, enjoying my cycling, and not worrying about food), and to build some strength.

My results so far have been solid; I'm down about 15 pounds, which isn't even half the story. My flexibility is much better (Yoga X, I'm a fan); my muscle definition is increased greatly, and my core/abs are much stronger, even if they are still hiding behind some belly fat. I went to old Spin class this morning, and ran through post-workout ab/core session, which used to leave me groaning on the floor, with all smiles and pleasure - what used to be hard, core wise, is now too easy.

I'm about to start the third training block (day 56!). I'm still about 20 pounds from my goal weight, and down about 15lbs on the program overall. Nutritionally, I'm following the Phase 1 "fat shredder" plan, since my body fat percentage is still around 19%. The goal so far is 1,800 gross calories, with 50%(!) from protein. I think I may have hit the 50% mark two or three times total, but that's the goal. Typically, my protein intake is around 35%.

I've been mixing in cycling here and there in the program. I went with the classic version. I used a pull-up bar, which I bought at Walmart for $20. I bought some weights at Play it Again Sports (cheaper than craigslist). I have a few resistance bands, but overall I do not like them quite as much as free weights, but that could largely be that they combo set I bought is too light or that they are just a cheap set.

My take, for you, based on a casual glance at your profile:

(1) up your protein. I like protein, and if you stay with lean cuts, you can get a lot of food for not a lot of calories; seafood is some of my favorites, and if you're in California the stuff you can get year round makes my landlocked Midwestern fishmonger sad. Protein will also help you with muscle fatigue recovery, and it's tasty. Try to eliminate the "white stuff," like refined flour, simple sugars, and white pasta; the wheat and whole grain equivalents, once you get used to them, are just as tasty, and better for you.

(2) Up your calories, at least for the first four weeks; 1,500 to 1,800, and then make adjustments from there. Your BMR (base metabolic rate) is probably around 1,550 (or 1,800 if you're chasing a toddler around all day), so any weight loss at 1,500 to 1,800 would probably be attributed directly to the exercise.
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have never completed P90x but I do the classic when I do it. When combining it with C25K you are going to need more than 1200 calories. If you are worried about adding the calories then play it by ear. Maybe add 200 more a day for a week and see how it goes. I promise you that the heavier you lift the hungrier you will be. If you are getting frustrated with P90x..why not try ChaLean Extreme. Awesome program and I am getting ready to start my third month. I never got past my first month with p90x. But I do have the pull up bar that goes in the door way and the Bowflex TechSelect weights. I have never been a fan of the bands.