Curvy girls who lost weight

Options

Replies

• jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty well the definition of an hourglass figure. HUGE bum, and 32D up top. With a 28" waist. (I'm 5'8" and 139lbs) And clothing does not fit. Bottoms I don't have too much trouble with, but I can not wear a form fitting top for the life of me. They just don't fit over my hips or chest properly, unless I get a large, but then its waaaaay too big around my waist.

Hopefully you'll have better luck!

And just for the record- I still love my curves.
  • horsesandhipbones
    Options
    Where are you based? If you're in the UK then have you tried Pepperberry for clothes? They do some amazing dresses and tops which are actually designed to fit breasts into them! Honestly, I think most clothes designers forget that women are not straight planks of wood!

YES!!! Pepperberry is amazing, I love them so much :-) I can actually get my boobs into their dresses!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am definately a curvy girl.(5'3" I now wear size 8 jeans and a med top 34 DD). At this point I thoroughly enjoy shopping for clothes. Some styles look ridiculous on me and I avoid them (umpire waist LOL), but I now can find pretty much anything I want in the misses section or petites, bras are still a problem, but I deal with it and am not in the market for surgery right now.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy and short - bad combo!

mainstream fashion simply isnt made for people with my shape. but i buy what flatters me instead of trying to wear whats IN fashion :)

enjoy shopping!

:smile:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am 38-28-38, so pretty curvy. I've lost 35 pounds, and yes, I am still curvy. True curves (not just being overweight) has to do with your bone structure. I have broad shoulders, huge boobs, and wide hips. I also happen to have a small waist. I'll never be able to change that, no matter which diet I am on. So, no, still can't wear sweetheart dresses or babydoll dresses or strapless or A-line dresses (my waist is too high) BUT I can rock short shorts and v-necks. It's all about how you look at it! :) My style is more 60s/70s so I suppose the current style doesn't affect my ability to dress. But if you do love current style, good luck! I can't wear any of it. :/

thats more how i dressed as a teen, but i, though i faught it, am warming up to some of the trends and my hubby, likes style too, is always wanting me to try things. just not always a win i guess. lol but i'll prob just need to stick with what works.

in georgia, not exactly a ton of various options, misses is to matronly to me and that leaves juniors. i guess i need to get friendly with the internet or go deep in atl to look.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 - 29 - 39. I am finding that the pants that fit my hips and legs are big in the waist. Or I need to get pants that fit "at waist" (aka high waist) which just isn't comfy for me, since I prefer a lower mid-rise. Vanity has some great jeans for curvy girls, do you have one of those stores nearby? I just retired (shrunk out of) my favorite pair from Vanity, the style was "Samantha". I got them two years ago and haven't been in the store since, but I'm hoping they still carry these!

I agree with wearing what fits your body.....or buy what you want and pay to have it tailored.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty curvy and as I lost weight my clothing options really expanded. I'll never be able to wear empire waisted anything because it makes me look pregnant, but other than that the sky is the limit. Belts are my friend.

I'm 33-23.5-36 ..... pretty exaggerated hourglass. Thank you strength training!
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    For Jeans alone, Target's mossimo brand is pretty awesome. They come in different styles, but have fit really, really for my various body type iterations. :)

Express "Editor" pants are a good fit for tiny waist/broader hips builds too.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty curvy and as I lost weight my clothing options really expanded. I'll never be able to wear empire waisted anything because it makes me look pregnant, but other than that the sky is the limit. Belts are my friend.

i'd love to have a 23" waist with 36" hips! jealous!
  • wrevhn
    Options
    I'm 37 - 29 - 39. I am finding that the pants that fit my hips and legs are big in the waist. Or I need to get pants that fit "at waist" (aka high waist) which just isn't comfy for me, since I prefer a lower mid-rise. Vanity has some great jeans for curvy girls, do you have one of those stores nearby? I just retired (shrunk out of) my favorite pair from Vanity, the style was "Samantha". I got them two years ago and haven't been in the store since, but I'm hoping they still carry these!

I agree with wearing what fits your body.....or buy what you want and pay to have it tailored.

no :( i just checked online. but one in TN, so roadtrip then! lol
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

i'd love to have a 23" waist with 36" hips! jealous!

I'm only 5'1 =) I will gladly trade my waist size for some height!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy, and I have the same problem at every size. Pants that fit my butt won't fit my waist, shirts that can accommodate the girls don't come anywhere near touching my waist...

One thing I have noticed though is that I used to be able to only wear clothing that defined my waist, or else I looked larger. Now, I can wear those baggier styles and even if it isn't flaunting anything, it doesn't look bad and I don't look fat.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am 38-28-38, so pretty curvy. I've lost 35 pounds, and yes, I am still curvy. True curves (not just being overweight) has to do with your bone structure. I have broad shoulders, huge boobs, and wide hips. I also happen to have a small waist. I'll never be able to change that, no matter which diet I am on. So, no, still can't wear sweetheart dresses or babydoll dresses or strapless or A-line dresses (my waist is too high) BUT I can rock short shorts and v-necks. It's all about how you look at it! :) My style is more 60s/70s so I suppose the current style doesn't affect my ability to dress. But if you do love current style, good luck! I can't wear any of it. :/

thats more how i dressed as a teen, but i, though i faught it, am warming up to some of the trends and my hubby, likes style too, is always wanting me to try things. just not always a win i guess. lol but i'll prob just need to stick with what works.

in georgia, not exactly a ton of various options, misses is to matronly to me and that leaves juniors. i guess i need to get friendly with the internet or go deep in atl to look.

I am a diligent modcloth shopper!! I feel you about the hubby though. My husband loves modern, contemporary trends. Sorry, hon! Haha. He says I dress like I am from another century. :/ Too bad! Haha!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am also curvy, with a small waist and not so small hips/upper thights, and I also have D cups boobs in a small upper body. So I am a curvy-pear shaped-short-not so young anymore-woman. :ohwell:

Yes, finding clothes that fit me is very difficult, specially pants; I can't shop in the junior department (I used too) because of my age and hips, and I am lucky if I find something nice and not too expensive in the petite section. Everything has to be shortened and/or taken at the waist.

I used to buy most of my clothes at "Petite Sophisticated," but that store went out of business in my area long time ago. I also thought that l after I got back to my normal weight, it was going to be easier to find my fit, but since I still have inches to lose from my hips and upper thighs, it hasn't happen yet, and probably never will because that is the way my body is and that will never change. Fashion and ladies clothes are geared toward the younger, long legged and more "straight" figures. We are doomed!
  • half_moon
    Options
    I'm curvy, and I have the same problem at every size. Pants that fit my butt won't fit my waist, shirts that can accommodate the girls don't come anywhere near touching my waist...

One thing I have noticed though is that I used to be able to only wear clothing that defined my waist, or else I looked larger. Now, I can wear those baggier styles and even if it isn't flaunting anything, it doesn't look bad and I don't look fat.

Ugh I hate the "curtain effect". I have 36DDDs and any shirt I get hangs off of me. Pants? Forget it!! I'm tugging them up over my thighs/hips like I'm wearing my little sister's clothes, then they get up to my waist and are loose. Sigh!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I like curvy women. My favorite part is when they sit down, I can see down the back of their jeans. Lol

Why don't clothes manufacturers make butt and waist size variations?
  • brillare
    Options
    I'm curvy and always have been even when I was skinnier. When I lose weight I will still look silly in a lot of the styles, but at least the sizes will be smaller.
  • half_moon
    Options
    I like curvy women. My favorite part is when they sit down, I can see down the back of their jeans. Lol

Why don't clothes manufacturers make butt and waist size variations?

Gap used to do this-- they had (or maybe still have?) a "Curvy" brand. But they would stretch out so quickly. :/

What I want to know is why they have to make women's sizes so freaking confusing. Men have a number that correlates exactly with their inch size. Us? No. an 8. WTF is an 8? What does that even mean? My husbands buys clothes so easily; he doesn't even have to try them on. Sigh.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Those are my measurements too (at 5'5) but I have a short rise so I buy low rise jeans which end up being mid rise on me and they usually fit just right. AE artist jeans are my favorite. http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category.jsp?catId=cat20112 The trend with the boxy tops will never look good on girls with curves as it hides the waist and makes us look heavier.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm hips and *kitten* curvy, and sometimes clothes fit better, sometimes worse. Just like before. :ohwell:

It depends on the individual piece. Some jeans fit fabulous. Some gap at the waist or are too tight in the legs. Sometimes ones that should be my size won't come up past my knees.

Some dresses fit. Some don't. Some shirts fit. Some don't. I still need to try on everything before I buy it, even a simple tshirt. :laugh: