Aldi's helps me eat healthy and save money

Options

Replies

• Dani_Strength
    Dani_Strength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's...... There is one 4 blocks from my house, i just went grocery shopping there 2 days ago!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The closest one to me is over 200 miles away. :grumble:

I'm always looking for stores with great produce.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Is Aldi in the USA now as well then? Are they just launching over there or have they been around a while?

I remember shopping at Aldi's (Ohio, USA) about 15+ yrs ago.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi! There are a few items I wish they carried that they don't, but overall they are a great place to stock up on basics. I don't always get their meats, but only because I shop a lot of manager's specials and sales at the other grocery stores. The Aldis here have much better customer service than their competitors too. Plus I usually am shopping with my 6 year old so it is SO much quicker to get through their smaller store!
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I also turned up my nose at Aldi's for a long time. Then one opened in my town a few years ago and I finally gave it a try. I have liked almost everything I get there. Their price for eggs and milk alone make it worth the trip. I do find I can find better produce at the regular grocery stores and local farmer's markets though.

Am I the only one who ALWAYS forgets to bring my own bags? Always...
  • ltfitz89
    ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's!!!!! There is one opening up in a few months that is a bit more local to me and I can't wait!!!!!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    where do you all live? i thought they were only in missouri and illinois...I live in Missouri and shop there! :)

I live in Ohio and there is one here in Fremont where i live!!!!! My husband though is not so keen on going there though but I was happy shopping there all my life!!!!!
  • emyjeter
    emyjeter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! We have one around the corner and I'm interested in checking it out now! :happy:
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I.love Aldi's, but the produce at the one by me is crap. So I guess it is pretty equal to the regular grocery store. Most of the time I still shop at the regular store because Aldi doesn't carry some items I need.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about shopping there but I'm terrified that the reason they are cheaper is because they are more processed, have more anti-biotics, have more pesticides, or are just overall crap compared to foods at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I want to shop there, but first I need to know why they can undercut their competitors by 20% when they are essentially giving the same products.

I personally don't like Aldi because I buy very little processed snack foods and I don't find their meats and produce to be of good quality. Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    where do you all live? i thought they were only in missouri and illinois...I live in Missouri and shop there! :)

I live in Ohio and there is one here in Fremont where i live!!!!! My husband though is not so keen on going there though but I was happy shopping there all my life!!!!!

I'm in North Texas and there are quite a few of them now. They just came out here a couple years ago.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I believe they can sell things cheaper for a few reasons. First, there is rarely more than 2 people working in the store I go to. So, they aren't having to pay a lot of employees. Also, you pay 25 cents for your cart (if you want one...and you get it back when you put the cart up), so they don't have the liability of carts hitting cars, etc. If you want a grocery sack, you have to pay for it. They are cheap though and you can reuse them over and over...or you can just take your own cloth bag or whatever you want to put your things in. So, that saves them money too. I have shopped at Aldi's several times. They have great fruit and vegetables - always fresh. They also have a Fit N Active line that really has good low fat items. I've only tried one thing that I didn't like in that line. I don't buy everything there as I am kind of picky about laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc., but I highly recommend the produce!!
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Aldi's is too far and the closest store is not very clean. We have a Save a Lot in town that is a better deal for us.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I am very pro-Aldi. Back in the day (over 10 years ago), their produce and meat seemed a little funky, but they have come a long way. I am never disappointed with anything I buy from Aldi. My produce is always great, my meat is always tender and juicy and my dry goods are just as good, if not better, than the name brands. I'm on a budget and what I buy at a regular grocery store for $100, I can buy at Aldi for $45. I have bought a couple frozen pizzas from Aldi, one was a quattro formaggio and one was a spinach-goat cheese-tomato pizza. My god, those were two of the best pizzas I ever had in my life!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Aldi's is too far and the closest store is not very clean. We have a Save a Lot in town that is a better deal for us.

My ex husband and I used to shop at Save a Lot when we lived in Illinois. We were addicted to Mountain Holler - a million times better than Mountain Dew.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    They have reasonable priced nuts of all kinds too. Very good quality.

Our Aldi (Indiana) is well stocked and always clean.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Aldi is the IKEA of grocery stores.
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about shopping there but I'm terrified that the reason they are cheaper is because they are more processed, have more anti-biotics, have more pesticides, or are just overall crap compared to foods at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I want to shop there, but first I need to know why they can undercut their competitors by 20% when they are essentially giving the same products.

They do this by making their employees work /ridiculously!/ hard and only having 2-3 employees at a time in a busy store. I know from experience because my hubby works in one. The products are really good and we do alot of shopping there, but I buy my meat from a local butcher.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love aldis and the fact that the stores are big enough without being huge. They are a big tim saver for abd also for saving money.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    We are trying Aldi's for the first time tomorrow xx

Beware there is a lot of junk but the good stuff is mixed in. Keep looking, you will find it.