to weigh yourelf or not?

Options
hi guys,
i have just started the whole calorie counter thing this week, however i have not get purchased scales to weight myself yet. i was wondering if it better to monitor your loss on looks or by weighing yourself?

x

Replies

• kbenson10
    Options
    hi guys,
    i have just started the whole calorie counter thing this week, however i have not get purchased scales to weight myself yet. i was wondering if it better to monitor your loss on looks or by weighing yourself?

x
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    It just depends really! I weight myself once a week but I can often tell in my appearance and how my body feels. Also, a tape measure is often a more accurate way to see weight-loss. A scale can fluctuate and it weighs EVERYTHING. If you think you can weigh yourself once a week and understand that even that can fluctuate...then by all means, get a scale. But if you think even a slight fluctuationg will have an affect on your motivation, then stick with how you look or maybe get a tape measure.

Good luck! :)
  • tinnytibbs
    Options
    Hi there,

For starters, congrats on taking the first step.....From experience, I find if you weigh yourself too often it can be hard on the head....I weigh myself every other week...that way, i know i should have atleast lost a little something.....

I try feel good first, look good second and weigh myself third!

Only my 2 cents...

Good luck, stay positive and have fun........

Later!
  • aprilanddan
    Options
    :happy:
    I do it on measurments not weight.
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    The best and true measurement comes from the tape measure.

However, I do weight myself everyday. (yes, I know everyone says to weigh yourself once a week). I do it every morning just to hold myself accountable. If I only did it once a week. I would pig out the first few days, then have to work extra, extra hard the last few to keep my weight from going up. (I know myself)

There are times when I gain a pound from the time before. It doesn't bother me though, I understand that sometimes our bodies holds on to water, and stuff.
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,

It is hard to say and you do what you think will make you feel better. Yes, the scale does fluctuate so you may have a one pound gain here or a two pound loss there. You never know. My suggestion, if you get a scale, weigh yourself at the same time on the days you do weigh yourself and either wear the same thing or just get naked! :oP I get naked so I don't have to take account for clothing and such and I weigh myself everyday!! I have heard and read different suggestions from a lot of people and I do the everyday route! It works for me, it keeps me motivated! I do also measure myself every other showering/bath just to keep track of that. It also makes me feel good to see that I am losing inches! :oD

Take care and good luck!
  • kbenson10
    Options
    hi guys thanks for getting back to me so fast!!!! i think i wont get scales for the first 2 weeks, then start from there!!! :wink: thanks again!
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think weighing yourself once a week is a good idea if only to monitor your "eats" to make sure you aren't over or under eating.

By no means should the scale alone rule, taking your measurements once a month is really enlightening. Basically because you might be toning and gaining muscle in place of the fat you lost.

Another true test is the way your clothes fit.

A very real exercise concept is that right after you work out for several hours, your body will retain extra water as water is very necessary in the rebuilding of the muscle that you tore down with exercise.

Between working out, eating and for the ladies, that time in your cycle....weighing everyday can be really discouraging for some.

What really kills me about some scales though...is that they measure 0.2 of a pound. :laugh: While definitely a step in the right direction :laugh: I don't think anyone is gonna notice :laugh:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The best and true measurement comes from the tape measure.

However, I do weight myself everyday. (yes, I know everyone says to weigh yourself once a week). I do it every morning just to hold myself accountable. If I only did it once a week. I would pig out the first few days, then have to work extra, extra hard the last few to keep my weight from going up. (I know myself)

There are times when I gain a pound from the time before. It doesn't bother me though, I understand that sometimes our bodies holds on to water, and stuff.

I weigh myself every day as well. I find it does hold me accountable. When I was doing it once a week I would slack knowing I had days to make it up. It really opened my eyes when I saw the weight I could put on in one day of not staying healthy, even if it was mostly water, it would sometimes take me 2 days to bring it back off. Made me realize how much I was impeding my weight loss with those days off. But also don't let the scale rule me. I know I will keep doing what's healthy no matter what it says.

I also measure myself once a month.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, as soon as I wake up and use the potty. I strip down and do it in the buff because I usually shower afterwards. Do understand that weight can fluctuate. If you lose a pound of fat but gain a pound of muscle, you will not see a difference OR if you are retaining water, you might gain. I also go by how my clothes fits too.

A scale can keep you focused though, and if you see a gain, you can look at your food diary and evaluate what happened.