Whats your workout?

Options
I need some help, I feel lost when it comes to working out. I just don't know what to do, so I was wondering what some of you do, hoping that maybe it will help me figure out what to do. Do you plan it out, I think that I would do better if I had a schedule, to help me know what to do each day so I'm not wasting time trying to decide what to do.

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I try to plan what I do at least the night before. Currently, I'm doing more cardio than anything... my favorites are the elliptical machine and stationary bike set to "Random". It really gives your legs a good work out and gets your heart pumping! I also am trying to start running again, I get on the treadmill and walk/run for a time!

I also enjoy taking some fitness classes like Kickboxing and Spin... Definately gets the heart pumping and if you aren't sore the next day, you know you could push harder the next time!

Hope that helped!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    wELL, I drilled into my own head that I will walk every day 45-60 minutes, NO excuses, cause I can walk to work, and back to the train station after work.., I TRY (key word,my little ones make it impossible) TO DO THE jILLIAN mICHEALS 30 DAY SHRED.. And I also do free wieghts when my kids go to sleep.. maybe some crunches/push ups, But I work ALLLLL day, and I don't even have the energy to clean when I get home, But making the effort counts..
    I ahven't weighed myself ina week, but I ahve been walking and eating better for the past 2 weeks, so hopefully the scale will show it!
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    well, i really love the exercise tv and my own home dvd's.

I wake up at 7 am. watch the 1st 15 minutes of the news and then off to the ladies room. Potty break and then i strip and weigh myself. I then get dressed in my work out clothes. I set up my wii fit plus and do my body test. I then do a 2 mile walking dvd. I have added a jog at the end. I started out with 1 minute, then every day i am adding a minute. I then go and eat breakfast (1 cup of special k and 1/2 cup of whole milk). If i am still starving after that i have a 1/2 cup of lite fruit. I am usually full at that point. I get ready for work. drink water and watch what i eat. then i come home, heat up my zero point soup and start dinner. have dinner. about an hour after dinner i get changed into work out clothes and I try to do different work out routines until 11 pm. I then cool down by slowly stretching and walking around while i want the 1st 15 min of 11 o'clock news. then a quick shower and bed.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    When I'm sitting watching something with my kids I use the commercial breaks for some strength training. We do it together so it makes it fun. The kids and I have competition to see who can do the most pushups, the most lunges, squats and jumping jacks, then we see who can hold the plank hold the longest. Before you know it you've done a mini workout and had fun with the kids all at the same time.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to set up a schedule - something you can stick to! If you don't have something written down it's much harder to stick to and you can easily make excuses. I pretty much to the same thing every week so it's easy for me to stick to my plan. That seems to work for me. If that doesn't work for you then sit down on Sunday and draw up a plan for the week that you can stick to.

Here's an example of my week:

Monday: Run and yoga
    Tuesday: P90X and yoga
    Wednesday: Run
    Thursday: P90X and yoga
    Friday: off
    Saturday: kind of depends. We usually run but this weekend we're skiing
    Sunday: P90X and yoga

I pretty much stick to this same routine every week. That way I know what I need to do every day!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We're doing INSANITY right now and that's pretty much everyday except for Sundays. On top of that I am doing the Couch 2 5K program 3 times a week on Wed, Fri, and Sun.

Our complex offers pilates and spin classes that I want to take but haven't been able to fit them in to the schedule above yet. Perhaps when I'm done.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    You are going to get so many answers for this one because it really is a personal decision -- you can read all the responses and pick and choose from those what works for you but always remember that your body and exercise will evolve as you continue and so the best thing to do is change it up so that you are enjoying yourself.

My "workout" depends on my kids, the weather and whatever else gets thrown at me unexpectedly.

I try to plan out my week and my "ideal" workout would be
    monday - AM gym - 30 minutes eliptical, 30 minutes another cardio machine, PM yoga (for stretching and relaxing more then calorie burn)
    tuesday - AM at home workout - a DVD (my favorite right now is Kettlenetics) I try to do something that incorporates stength training and cardio (the kettlenetics workout has a 4 lb kettleball and cardio)
    Wed - same as monday except one of the 30 minutes is on the treadmill doing the C25K program
    Thursday - same as tuesday
    Friday - same as Wed
    Saturday - long cardio day - go to the gym and do cardio machines usually 60 minutes and I take a class (this is my time away from the family for me, I sit in the sauna, maybe go for a relaxing swim)
    Sunday - same as Friday

The above is my "goal" - each week though something happens to throw me off - and that is what you have to be preapared for - a sick child, an emergency at work, a family gathering, a meeting, a traffic jam etc....my back up plan is my at home workouts (a DVD and a yoga)..I rent tapes/DVD's from the library. I try to do somethign everyday -- Im in New England so the weather is always a factor in the spring, summer and fall I try to go for a walk every night - with the family or without... thats an added bonus to just reflect on the day.

Find what you like and do it -- exercise can be anything running to bowling, stretching to hiking....
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Heres a treadmill workout I love that you can start at a beginning level:
    Run (or walk) 5 minutes on 0 incline
    Walk 3 minutes on 3 incline
    3 minutes on 6 incline
    3 minutes on 9 incline
    3 minutes on 12 incline
    3 minutes on 15 incline
    3 minutes on 12 Incline
    3 minutes on 9 incline
    3 minutes on 6 incline
    3 on 9
    3 on 12
    3 on 15
    3 on 12
    3 on 9
    3 on 6
    3 on 3
    3 on 0

NOW you can do that on any speed for beginners and also you could just try to go up to 6 the first time and work your way up... something like that.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Adding this to my topics, great thread.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    like another poster said everyone works out diffrently - me i go to the Y most days unless its icy, their closed or i have sick kids or its really nice out then i work out outside.
    we try to go 4-5 days a week and i alternate starting on the treadmill or eliptical each day (mostly cause i would get very bored doing the same thing each day) then i do streaching, strength training and abdominal workouts -i mix up my strength training to alternate different muscles so like m/w/f i use free weights and the bench press then t/th i use machines and all the day i go i use the chin/dip machine. then after that i do more cardio on the opposite machine i started on we are working our way up to another 30mins right now i am at 15 for the second half of cardio. when on the treadmill i am right now on the 2nd week of C25k.
    when home an not able to get out i use dvds like billys bootcamp or on demand workouts dependign on my mood. when its nice out my dh and i go walking/hiking on trails
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    It really depends. On the days I do not really feel like working out, I take a book to the gym and ride the recumbent bike. It happens at least once a week. I know I'm not pushing as hard as I do other days, but when you compare it to the other option of sitting at home and reading my book, it is the better alternative. One day a week (usually Wednesdays) I go to the pool. I can't swim continuous laps yet, so I do breast strokes for a lap, then do lunges for a lap. I repeat this 5 times. Then I do freestyle for a lap, and then football shuffle for a lap, repeating five times. Then I do side strokes for 10 laps (This I can do continuously, lol). Then I doggy paddle/tread water for a final 10 minutes... Whew does this tire me out. I love the elliptical at the gym, and also the arc trainer. I used to do weight lifting 2 to 3 times a week, but need to get back into it. I also used to do couch to 5K, but got lazy around week 5.

I don't have a set schedule (other than the weights every second day, when I'm doing them). I kinda just do whatever I feel like doing when I get there.
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well I definitely like change as I become bored with my routines, so I'll change them monthly. So this month it is 60 minutes of cardio w/ The My Fitness Coach, 3x a week and 60 min of Strength Training, 3x a week.
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Here is my routine...
    Monay- Either belly dancing or Zumba 1 hr
    Tuesda- Zumba 1 Hr
    Wednesday- 45 Minute Zumba + Weight training (either upper or lower body)
    Thursday- 1 hr. belly dancing
    Friday- Weight training (Opposite of what I did on Wednesday)
    Sat- 1 Hr. Zumba
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I plan out my workouts once per week ( on Sunday) and post it on my fridge. When I complete it I check it off with the actual time/distance. I always workout at the same time (mornings) before anyone else in the house gets up so I can't blame them for me not working out.

Monday: Workout DVD
    Tuesday: Easy Run and Yoga
    Wed:Rest
    Thurse: Speed Run and Yoga
    Fri: Workout DVD/weights
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Long Run and Yoga
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Mon: 50 minutes elliptical (am) 20 minutes "conditioning" (pm)
    Tue: 50 minutes elliptical (am) 20 minutes "conditioning" (pm)
    Wed: 30 minutes elliptical (am) 20 minutes "conditioning" (pm)
    THur: Personal training
    Friday: 50 minutes elliptical (am) 20 minutes "conditioning" (pm)
    Sat: 50 minutes elliptical (am) 20 minutes "conditioning" (pm)
    Sun: 30 minutes elliptical (am) 20 minutes "conditioning" (pm)
    Mon: REST
    ...and cycle...
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I do 2-3 days of standing pilates. then the rest of the week I alternate between cardio on the treadmill and weight lifting, I take sunday as my rest day. I have kind of hit a wall on toning so my husband and I want to get the p90X program asap. He feels bad because I am in better shape than he is LOL! First time Ever.

I generally plan my workouts one day at a time because of my schedule but if business slows down like in the winter I plan them a week at a time. I am a list maker so it really helps me stay on track.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    wELL, I drilled into my own head that I will walk every day 45-60 minutes, NO excuses, cause I can walk to work, and back to the train station after work.., I TRY (key word,my little ones make it impossible) TO DO THE jILLIAN mICHEALS 30 DAY SHRED.. And I also do free wieghts when my kids go to sleep.. maybe some crunches/push ups, But I work ALLLLL day, and I don't even have the energy to clean when I get home, But making the effort counts..
    I ahven't weighed myself ina week, but I ahve been walking and eating better for the past 2 weeks, so hopefully the scale will show it!

Are my lost twin? You just wrote my life! My son sits on me while I try and crunch! ARG :laugh:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When I'm sitting watching something with my kids I use the commercial breaks for some strength training. We do it together so it makes it fun. The kids and I have competition to see who can do the most pushups, the most lunges, squats and jumping jacks, then we see who can hold the plank hold the longest. Before you know it you've done a mini workout and had fun with the kids all at the same time.

Great idea! I am trying this for sure.:love:
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Whatever I can fit into normal life. M-F I take the bus to school, but walk home as fast as I can (which usually ends up 25 minutes). I walk up two flights of stairs as fast as I can to get to class everyday. After I get home, I do lunges around the house (to go bathroom, to go kitchen for food, etc.). I just got a resistance band for Christmas, so I do a 7-minute upper body workout with it from spark people (I figure with my 25-minute speedwalk, stair-climbing, and lunges, my legs are in decent shape) every day. On weekends, I go to the pool and do laps for about 20 minutes while my dad does aqua jogging. I don't swim very fast, but I can usually get in at least 5 laps. Saturdays, I also follow along with a 1-hr fit tv program with Gilad. It includes cardio and strength training.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    My workout has been 1 - 3 hours, sometimes daily, sometimes only once a week.

Playing the wii, which is fun.

Going to our crappy apartment gym for at least half an hour.

I'm going to go swimming sometime.

and on my Tony Little Gazelle.