Dexa Scans ?!

Options
2»

Replies

• 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I thought Dexa scans were for bone density.? Never heard of one being for fat/muscle.
    This is true.. I use to work in Radiology. Never heard of a dexa scan measuring body fat/muscle ratio. There is a scan for that just not a dexa scan.

I just looked onto the site which offers it and it says using DXA technology so you're right maybe it is called something else, but I believe it still uses the same idea, I wouldn't know the specifics of the name. Just what it does :P
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I looked up Dexa scans in Vancouver and this handy little site popped up for me

http://www.bodycomp.ca/
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm curious... but not ~$200 curious. I can find a lot better uses for the cash.

DANG! YOU ROCK THAT DRESS. I'M SO JEALOUS! ツ
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am going to go to that place in Vancouver when i have a chance... i would really like to know... i did the caliper test but i dont think it was correct.... so i would be interested in knowing what it really is in comparison. I say if you have the money then why not? if you are serious about working out then that information is worth it. they also tell you how many calories you should be eating.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I thought Dexa scans were for bone density.? Never heard of one being for fat/muscle.

They can be done for both :)

DEXA is most often performed to check your bone density - Insurance tends to cover it for this purpose only. It can also be done for body fat percentage, but honestly, it is a sales pitch gimmick. Utilize calipers and save yourself the cash. Plus to see your results on a graph is, well, frankly, it is disgusting.

Think that if I'm amenorrheic I can get insurance to cover a DEXA for bone density and then sneaky-like find out my body fat? lol

ETA: Someone else said they are done differently. Damn!
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had it done at the cleveland clinic as well as full on metabolic testing. It can be pricy for sure but worth it. If you buy the fitbit aria scale it will help you trend your weight as well as your % of bf . As long as you see trending down you are in good shape. I readjusted my calories based on my testing.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I get them every couple of years to monitor osteoporosis.. I wonder if they could tag on the body fat measurements for a couple extra bucks. ;)
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0JxkRTOPU&feature=relmfu

You can see what the results look like here.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is true.. I use to work in Radiology. Never heard of a dexa scan measuring body fat/muscle ratio. There is a scan for that just not a dexa scan.

I just looked onto the site which offers it and it says using DXA technology so you're right maybe it is called something else, but I believe it still uses the same idea, I wouldn't know the specifics of the name. Just what it does :P

When I did the one in my school, the same scan (DXA) reported my body fat and bone density. On the same visit, they said my bone density was way above average for my age most likely due to WB activities (running)