Anyone have trouble with rest days?

Options
2»

Replies

• hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great tips. I ended up taking a short run and having a light dinner. But I suppose generally if the other days are good that if the rest day is over it's ok.

Feel free to add me - I only just started doing the invite thing, I am happy to support people as I can...
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising since January, mostly the elliptical machine we purchased. I continued to take a rest day just like when I was walking up until April.

Rest days were full of anxiety, tiredness, and overall cranky feelings. So, I started working out harder during the week (6-8 miles per day/7.0 mph pace), one 10-12 mile day (6.5 mph pace), and one 4 mile day for a rest--this one at about a 5 mph pace and enjoy tv shows while working out. It's really not what most would call a rest day, but for me and my family, it's as close to rest for me as any of us want to get.

I would try different things like an afternoon walk on a rest day just to get "moving" a bit. Nothing to taxing or strenuous. Everyone is different, and what works for some (cheat days, rest days, etc.) doesn't work for others

Kinda cool that we are all in the same boat, but have different paddles, life vests, and essential tools in case our "three-hour tour" ends up being shipwrecked on an island!

What she said! :D

Usually on my rest day, I still get some sort of exercise, it's just light. Like a 25-30 min brisk walk, or yoga. And that has usually been enough for me to stay under my calorie limit.

I also really don't like taking a day off. Weird to be one of those people.

I'm the same. Rarely will I take a complete day off, unless my schedule absolutely won't allow the time for any type of workout. But I usually will do yoga or take a slower paced walk. One of my friends named it, "Active Rest".
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Some rest days I"m less hungry but I, too, am so in the habit of eating certain things at certain times, especially on work days, that I end up going over on rest days by like 100 cals. But a lot of workout days I'm under and my weight is steady so it washes for me.

As for eating out, I don't eat out very often so I count that as my splurge and don't worry about it b/c I know damn well the next day I'm back on my regular eating plan. I do allow 2 splurge meals per week and a couple of snacks so I guess I'm around 85%good/15%bad with my eating. Some weeks I'm 90/10 and it keeps me on the beam the rest of the time. I've kept my weight off a very long time so it works for me. Hope that helps!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I have lost 26 pounds in 90 days, and i contribute a lot of that to tricking my metabolism.

I have one cheat day / rest day a week. I dont work out and i eat WHATEVER i want, which includes beer, milk shakes, whatever...

this puts my metabolism into overdrive! its getting all this food its not used to, and my body is like.. WOAH! lets burn this stuff!!

Works like a charm.

When i DONT have my "cheat" day, but i still rest.. i dont lose.

Might not work for you, but always has for me. and i like to live a little. makes life more enjoyable, and its really not so hard when you dont tell yourself you CANT have something.

in 90 days, i have gone from a size 20 to a size 14, and im happier than ever! My profile pic was my starting pic, and the other half was taken today! I eat everything i did before, just using portion control. =)
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing! Saturdays I work all day. I am on my feet for the most part, but I still (theoretically) try to keep to my goal. But it's so hard! I workout so hard 6 days a week and am definitely accustomed to the extra calories. I just checked my weekly goal and I am 3,000 under for the week, so that makes me feel better. I am not sure how that all works out in the end, though.

I just really watch the senseless snacks on rest day and try to make the best choices I can. Even if I go over, it's still better than what I was eating 3 months ago.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Today is my rest day and it feels so weird. I don't really like it to be honest. I woke up much later than normal though and so I didn't have my usual breakfast. I'm planning to have a Sunday roast which will probably take up the majority of my calories, then a small soup tonight. I try not to worry too much about my calories on a Sunday as long as I don't go over like maintenance. I don't do it every Sunday - probably 1 or 2 a month - but it keeps me going :) I will probably exercise today even though it's a rest day as I like to think of it as a day when I can choose to work out rather than the other days when I have to ... it's what I tell myself anyway :tongue: