So, ultimate goal reached! Lots of Progress Pics

Options

Replies

• rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Way to go! This is amazing! Im so happy you're proud of yourself because you should be for sure! I tried reading through all of the posts and I may have missed it, but what workout program did you follow? Or did you make your own?

When I first decided to get into shape, I was pretty much unable to exercise because I was too heavy and was getting VERY tired in a few minutes. I wasn't getting anything accomplished because I was winded in no time.

Besides walking, I didn't start exercising until I was about 45 lbs down. My wife and I went out and bought an Elliptical machine, stuck it in a spare room, and I used that primarily as my sole planned exercise for a few months. I then bought a set of resistance bands and a mat and starting working out in my living room in the mornings before work in addition to the elliptical a few times a week.

When I hit about 220 lbs or so, I started going to the gym and working out harder than I had in the past. I started out a couple times a week and now I go four times a week (M, T, Th, F). I use the treadmill and hit the weights as hard as I can. I made up my own routine which I still follow to this day. It's nothing super hardcore but I feel great afterwards and I can see results, so I know I'm doing okay.

As for food ... well, that's a different story.

When I started out, I was like everyone else who suddenly decides they want to lose weight and had absolutely no idea what to do. So, what's the first thing that pops into my head? Eat less food. Well, I started out by cutting out all of the nasty stuff I would shove into my face.

Let me take a minute here to clarify what I used to eat and what I mean by cutting out the crap. I would go to McDonald's for lunch and get a 20-piece nuggets, two double cheeseburgers or Big Macs, two orders of fries and maybe a couple apple pies. Or I would go to Taco Bell and get a box of tacos, a couple of chalupas, or burritos, and some nachos. Maybe some KFC for a 10-piece FAMILY meal and finish that off over lunch and dinner. Hot wings? Don't even get me started! 50 wings, a dozen mozz sticks, and maybe a half tray of pizza for dinner. A half gallon of ice cream watching a couple football games.

So, I stopped all that. Like I said, I wasn't educated so I started out by eating much less than normal and although I was hungry by the end of the day, I thought that was normal so I continued on. When I discovered MFP, I did a lot of reading about how there were so many people in the same boat as I was and how they learned to listen to what their body needed. I took some great advice and set calorie, fat, etc goals for myself based on my BMR, TDEE, etc.

I began feeding my body healthier foods, I started cooking at home MOST of the time, and ate only ingredients I was able to see, count, and log. I found substitutes for the foods I loved (even ice cream! I love Skinny Cow stuff now!) and began fitting them into my day. The more I understood to stay within my limits, the more of my beloved food I was able to slip in there. I would eat two slices of pizza instead of six. A dozen wings vs. 50. Fresh chicken breasts vs. fried KFC. Fruit, vegetables, lots of liquids.

I am now getting more settled in my routine and now that I understand what I want and need, I have been able to go back to eating many of the foods I did before, only in a MUCH smaller volume and I enjoy them just as much.

I will always know I am addicted to food and although I managed to get myself into better shape, I understand that every day will be a little battle against that. Can I eat 50 wings and 6 slices of pizza tonight? Sure I can. Will I? You can bet I won't. I will constantly think about what I was like over the last 15 years and that will motivate me.

Although I know the pressure of food will push me now and again, I feel now that I am strong enough to push back.
  • 62clpowell
    62clpowell Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That is such an awesome story and amazing as well...Glad you reached your goal weight!
  • brittamarie4
    Options
    Way to go! This is amazing! Im so happy you're proud of yourself because you should be for sure! I tried reading through all of the posts and I may have missed it, but what workout program did you follow? Or did you make your own?

When I first decided to get into shape, I was pretty much unable to exercise because I was too heavy and was getting VERY tired in a few minutes. I wasn't getting anything accomplished because I was winded in no time.

Besides walking, I didn't start exercising until I was about 45 lbs down. My wife and I went out and bought an Elliptical machine, stuck it in a spare room, and I used that primarily as my sole planned exercise for a few months. I then bought a set of resistance bands and a mat and starting working out in my living room in the mornings before work in addition to the elliptical a few times a week.

When I hit about 220 lbs or so, I started going to the gym and working out harder than I had in the past. I started out a couple times a week and now I go four times a week (M, T, Th, F). I use the treadmill and hit the weights as hard as I can. I made up my own routine which I still follow to this day. It's nothing super hardcore but I feel great afterwards and I can see results, so I know I'm doing okay.

As for food ... well, that's a different story.

When I started out, I was like everyone else who suddenly decides they want to lose weight and had absolutely no idea what to do. So, what's the first thing that pops into my head? Eat less food. Well, I started out by cutting out all of the nasty stuff I would shove into my face.

Let me take a minute here to clarify what I used to eat and what I mean by cutting out the crap. I would go to McDonald's for lunch and get a 20-piece nuggets, two double cheeseburgers or Big Macs, two orders of fries and maybe a couple apple pies. Or I would go to Taco Bell and get a box of tacos, a couple of chalupas, or burritos, and some nachos. Maybe some KFC for a 10-piece FAMILY meal and finish that off over lunch and dinner. Hot wings? Don't even get me started! 50 wings, a dozen mozz sticks, and maybe a half tray of pizza for dinner. A half gallon of ice cream watching a couple football games.

So, I stopped all that. Like I said, I wasn't educated so I started out by eating much less than normal and although I was hungry by the end of the day, I thought that was normal so I continued on. When I discovered MFP, I did a lot of reading about how there were so many people in the same boat as I was and how they learned to listen to what their body needed. I took some great advice and set calorie, fat, etc goals for myself based on my BMR, TDEE, etc.

I began feeding my body healthier foods, I started cooking at home MOST of the time, and ate only ingredients I was able to see, count, and log. I found substitutes for the foods I loved (even ice cream! I love Skinny Cow stuff now!) and began fitting them into my day. The more I understood to stay within my limits, the more of my beloved food I was able to slip in there. I would eat two slices of pizza instead of six. A dozen wings vs. 50. Fresh chicken breasts vs. fried KFC. Fruit, vegetables, lots of liquids.

I am now getting more settled in my routine and now that I understand what I want and need, I have been able to go back to eating many of the foods I did before, only in a MUCH smaller volume and I enjoy them just as much.

I will always know I am addicted to food and although I managed to get myself into better shape, I understand that every day will be a little battle against that. Can I eat 50 wings and 6 slices of pizza tonight? Sure I can. Will I? You can bet I won't. I will constantly think about what I was like over the last 15 years and that will motivate me.

Although I know the pressure of food will push me now and again, I feel now that I am strong enough to push back.

Thank you so much for sharing - you are definitely an inspiration to everyone on here :) Keep up the amazing work! I hope I can share a success story next year.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!! You look great!
  • duckfloats
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful follow-up post and more details. SO inspiring.

Did you have any major setbacks along the way you'd like to share? Plateaus?
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Very inspiring!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and fantastic job sticking to it and reaching your goal :)
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Awesome well done
  • rjcelmer
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful follow-up post and more details. SO inspiring.

Did you have any major setbacks along the way you'd like to share? Plateaus?

I'm thankful that I didn't really plateau out. I was fortunate enough to consistently lose every week until I hit my goal weight.

Also, I wouldn't say I had very many setbacks but I had a lot of struggles in the beginning. I was so used to eating at all times during a given day that it was VERY hard not to run to the fridge and grab a snack at 10pm. I'm talking about not snacking from hunger but just because I felt like eating.

I combated that by tallying up all the calories I WOULD have eaten from senseless snacking (just to snack) during a day and looking at how much I DIDN'T eat. That opened my eyes pretty quickly. Also, I started going to bed earlier during the very hard times. I figured if I wasn't awake and thinking about food, I wouldn't be able to eat. That has actually helped me a lot recently. Getting more sleep to allow my muscles to rest and rebuild helps me during my workouts at the gym. If I was still staying up until 1am, I don' t think I would be able to work out as much as I do now.

Like I said below, I know I have an addiction to eating so not eating all day was a HUGE change for me. I grew up that way. I was always overweight. I was overweight when I was a child and when I was a teenager. I got fit when I joined the Army when I was 20 and stayed in shape for my service but then fell right back into it.

I guess if I have a setback, I would say my struggle with my love of food is my setback. And if that's the case, it will always be there. It's just going to be up to me who wins that fight. :)
  • kenziestx
    Options
    Wow! Wonderful job! Very inspirational!!!
  • Jerijoh
    Jerijoh Posts: 107
    Options
    WOW!!! That is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for posting these. It's so motivating to see that it can actually be done. When I am feeling like I just want to give up, these are the exact kinds of posts I am looking for to find my motivation again.. GREAT job!!!! =D
  • KaseyC0711
    Options
    You've done a great job!!! Keep up the good work!!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    you look great - it has been a year well spent :drinker:
  • KentClark
    KentClark Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Very Inspiring! You look sensational! I started at 285, and I've made it to 219 so far. Hoping to make it all the way down to 130. Your pics are so motivational! Thanks!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!!! Go you!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed you did that in one year!!! Jeez I have no excuse now!
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed and inspired, and I have NO EXCUSE to ever give up. Look where I could be!
  • Cherie7575
    Options
    awesome, thanks so much for sharing!
  • Robbo1tp
    Options
    Very awesome. Well done
  • rjcelmer
    Options
    Wow, this got resurrected from October! That's great because it will be one whole year on MFP in a couple days, and I have been maintaining my weight (I fluctuate between 175 and 170) since this original post in October and I feel great! I am continuing to build muscle and tone the fat I still have, and I am keeping at it.

Thanks to everyone who has kept me motivated even after I reached my goal, and who continue to motivate each and every day. I truly love you all. :)

Here are a couple more recent pictures. The first is from (I think) November and the second is from this past Christmas day.

Have a wonderful and successful 2013, everyone!

photo-1.jpg

IMG_1014_zpseb89df71.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!