looking for suggestions

Options
Ok so this is the scoop. I know diet and excersise is key to living healthy however. im a bit on the heavy side and would love to excersise, but it feels like my body just will not alow it.. It accually hurts for me to go for a walk or stairs things like that. I also feel tired all the time and when i get home from work i dont feel like doing anything.. does anyone have any suggestions on what can help me out of this slump?

Replies

• kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I would push myself to walk. Everyone has to start somewhere. When I workout it hurts....every time :)
    But I feel so much better and I have so much more energy. It doesn't matter what size you start at....what ever the level is just push a little more and before you know it you'll be thinking this is easy....and it will be time to push a little more. Good luck...You will do it. You've already made the first step.
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you that there is no magic solution. I'm just getting back from a similar holiday slump and the truth is you just have to make yourself do it at the begining. Get active and after a week or so you will notice your energy level going up and your body responding positively to the activity. It's not any fun for the first few days (I know, I was just there) but you'll feel good at the end of the day knowing you did right by your body. Good luck.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    There is a woman on here who said that when she first started exercising, it was painful. She would walk one block. Then the next day she would walk a little farther, etc. All that matters is that you are moving just a little bit extra, and it will get easier. Good luck and don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    Trust me your not TOO overweight to start exercising, Just do anything besides sit around. walk around your house, do wii game, move around. try yoga or pilates, what did you like when you were in school, play a game with your kids, you can find something you like and can commit to start with 2-3 x a week for any amount of time MORE than you are now... take baby steps you'll get there....
  • twilight_fan
    Options
    Thank you very much i guess i just need to push myself along the way.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Biking (stationary or not) is a great low impact exercise. It's what I started with at 270 pounds. There's a wonderful lady in my motivation group on MFP who is over 400 pounds but she bikes on her stationary bike almost every day and she's doing a FANTASTIC job!

When I first got my stationary bike, I could go 7 minutes before I was in a lot of pain & I felt like I was going to die. Now I can do 90minutes at a much faster pace & although I feel like I've gotten a good workout afterwards, I don't feel like death. :smile: You can do this, but realistically you may have to deal with being uncomfortable & in pain until your stamina and strength improve.

Edit: Make that *mild to moderate* pain. If you're in severe pain, obviously you'd want to see a doctor because that'd be a health issue/injury that needs to be addressed immediately!
  • caspercrix
    Options
    I'm on the heavier side too so trust me when I say I know your pain. Do an exercise that pushes you but doesn't make you pass out within 5 minutes (walking or power walking). I do enough to bring me a little pain and then keep it up for 30minutes. Once your body adjusts to that then it will get easier which means you can push yourself harder and try something that maybe you couldn't do before. Don't expect your body to be able to do what someone else's body can. If you drink soda, cold turkey quit it. I lose the most weight when I stop drinking soda....and tend to gain it back when I start up again. Good luck and I hope that helps!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I've been there with sore knees and aching hips after doing a little bit. You need to start small and work from there. I started at 340 lbs and a walk around the block was more than enough for me. Now I walk for 45 minutes with the dogs and then go to the gym after for another hour or so.

Gradually increase your exercise. As you lose weight it all becomes easier and less painful. You need to push yourself a little more each day and you will get there
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :smile: I'm just going to echo what the others have said--start small and go a little more everyday.:smile:

Trust me, I know its not easy but you can do it! When I started walking (about 18 months ago) my feet and ankles were KILLING me by the end of the day.:grumble:
    I can do all kinds of things now (I have trouble with anything that involves jumping because of old leg injuries but even that's starting to get better!) and I feel SO much better!:happy:
    Hang in there. We'll give you all the help we can--MFP is a great place to be!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are, here are some things you might like to try. I'm not sure where you live, but maybe you could get to a healthclub with a swimmingpool (or the Y) and do exercises in the water. That would take weight of your joints and you would still get a workout. How about working with handweights while watching TV or going for a short walk on your break or bevore work? Maybe you could try out a curves gym and see how you like it ( they are especially for women and not just people that are in shape)? Put in your favorite music and dance in the livingroom? I got sweating to the oldies, I know it is old, but for starting out I can make it at least halv way through :P..
    Hope that helps
    Gabi
  • jay3261550
    jay3261550 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try Zumab! I am also one of those ppl that it literally hurts to exercise b/c I am sooo out of shape and smoke, but Zumba is so much fun u want to do it and time flies, I used to walk for 10 minutes and b tired but with Zumba a whole hr can go by and u dont even realize it!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I would like to try Zumba, they have classes at my gym. But I do believe it is a bit advanced for somebody just starting out with exercise.
  • twilight_fan
    Options
    Thanks all i will deff. take your advice..
    Just a quick question though? When i do walk or do slight excersise i get a head ache after a bit is that normal? some poeple tell me its cause im straining myself is that true?
    I know i have to get on the weight loss fast im getting married Aug 28th and truth be told i havent even got my dress yet:blushing: Im real scared to even try one on just as of yet.