Exercising in college?

Options
Ok, I'm a college freshman who is taking 18 hours. All my classes are burying me in homework. Any idea how I can do any kind of exercise besides walking to classes? I'm still trying to figure things out.

Replies

• elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Is there a student fitness center on campus? (Many years ago), I used to pack exercise clothes and do a run or workout during a small break between classes. They had showers and everything I needed - just planned ahead and made it a part of my routine. Much better than getting back to a dorm and thinking I'd go back out to exercise when homework was all piled up. Good luck! It's worth it and you might meet some other fitness types that way. (I have a husband and a very good friend, both of whom I met via exercise in college!)
  • jstoneWI
    Options
    I've just made it a part of my routine. I'm a grad student now but I work full time so getting to the gym doesn't always happen. Some days I just take the long way to class or for sure take the stairs instead of the elevator. The best advice I can give is to make it a part of your routine. It took a few years but I managed to make it a part of my day, where it felt odd not going to the gym.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My daughter used to knock on doors & round up kids for a quick walk or jog around the campus ......... and she didn't let the weather bother her ...... the school's in Vermont ...... it snows in the fall !

Good luck :drinker:
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. 18 hours sucks. a lot. I run though. I started with the c25k and now that I am done I run 30 minutes a day. It leaves me refreshed and stress free. I even run halfway through studying for big exams. I believe it really helps. That or the 30ds which is only like 25 minutes a day.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Definitely check into a student rec center. I'm a grad student, have a part time job and 3 kids. I go to the gym for an hour twice a week. It isn't much but it's better than nothing.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I miss my college rec facility...5 stories, completely decked out in all kinds of fantastic, cutting edge equipment...those were the days when I was excited to go to the gym because the quality of equipment and facilities were so good, and the enthusiasm and dedication in the atmosphere was addicting.

We had a gym on campus that stayed open until 2AM. When I had insomnia, I'd literally just head over to the gym and get a workout in to tire myself out. Having taken 20+ credit hours each quarter myself, all I can say is it's just a matter of making it a part of your routine - even if you just spend 30 minutes there...jog there (if it's far enough for a decent 1 mile run) workout, and then jog back. I used to sometime bike to the gym just to break it up a little bit. If you have a gym that's open until the wee hours of the morning and you're a "night" person, that might be an option for you.

You can also keep up with your walking to classes, restaurants, friends houses, etc., so you're getting some extra cardio in. If you have a TV and a DVD player, try workout DVDs. There are a bunch out there from dance to cardio to strength training - find something you like and do 10 minutes if that's all you've got one day, and then spend more time on it if you spare more another day. If you have things going on campus like 5K runs, walks for causes, etc., sign up and participate - you'll be doing some good and you'll be getting in some good exercise (like walking laps for cancer, danceathons, etc.).

Good luck! (I'm slightly jealous now that I'm reminiscing about college... enjoy it while you can!)
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    Taking 18 credit hours, but 15 of those require me to be in a school a 15 minute drive, one way, from campus and then I go from there to work. I don't get home 'till 8 or 9 some nights. I get up early (usually about 6) and get a run done in the morning 3 days a week, plus two runs on the weekends and my boyfriend and I try to climb at the school's gym at least twice a week after work/classes. My best advice is to make it a part of your schedule, like has been said. When it comes time to choose classes, make time for it if possible, even a half hour is better than nothing. If not, get up early and get it done. You'll feel better and probably work better (I do) then if you don't.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    (sorry to say- the hecticness of college is easy-peasy compared to what it will be like when you graduate into 'real life", so...) now's the time to carve that time -for -health -niche -for -you! Are you an early bird? get up 1/2 earlier and bust out a quick, hard core work out- you will feel much better and brighter all day long if you can do that. Or if your a night owl, get your sweat on before your evening studies- it'll clarify your mind and make a ready to 'remember'. If you can dedicate just 20-30 minutes per day to MoViNg- it will detox your mind and body, and make everything else you need to do easier and better! :wink:
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Also a college student and know how hard it can be to dedicate time to exercise amongst all the study and other activities that go along with college life, what halped me a lot was finding someone to do it with, met a girl in my class last year who has similar enough goals to me which really is just getting that exercise in every week, we motivate each other...at the moment we have only made time for 2 3o min sessions at the gym a week but its something.
    Also a zumba fitness class starting on tuesday so may look into that.

Bottom line as many have said is routine. Make it a part of your college day whether it is inbetween classes for 30 min and write it into your schedule.
    If its the case where your in all day I guess like many have said the fitness dvd are a good place to start because you can do them from the comfort of your room. Best of luck with it, its not easy...im back in college 3 weeks now and only started exercising again last week, so yea sticking to the routine is going to be tough but oh so worth it :)
  • krgoethe93
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! I'm going to try and start working out after fall break (this upcoming wednesday-friday). My schedule is really weird so I never really have time to work out and do homework and my roommate doesn't allow a tv in our room and I am NOT doing an exercise dvd in our common area. Wish me luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i played a sport. that worked for me. good luck with your studies
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Between my classes and senior practicum and all my homework I feel like Im going to lose it any day now. I just get up at 5 am as much as it sucks and workout in my living room. Right now Im doing be fit in 90 on youtube.
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    I took advantage of my campus gym when I went to school(still do but it's easier for me to get workouts in) Just go to your school gym, workout between, before, or after class even just for a half an hour then go hit the books ;D
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm taking 18 credits, in 6 after school clubs (and one of them involves dancing, thankfully, so that's some activity).... and I still try to set aside 30 minutes for physical activity each day. Usually I consider it my "break" from doing homework.
    Although I must admit, sometimes there's just too much homework and I have to skip a day or two.
  • debbio
    debbio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with Beth. Just take your stuff with you and factor exercise into your daily routine. I used to wear my hair in french braids through the week, so I didn't have to do much with it. I ALSO met a very good friend via exercise in college :wink: .
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I am back in school full-time & have 2 kids. Needless to say, time is tight. Before the trimester started, I penciled in about an hour and a half a day for exercise. It's a pain, but I knew it would have to be priority (especially because of my weight). It's been tough to stick to it, but I have to. What it means is that my weekends and most evenings are taken up by homework. But, I have found that if I exercise & make sure to get enough sleep, I perform much better at my school work, with less effort. So, it's not a terrible trade off.
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to make it a priority. A lot of people prioritize working out lower than other activities, so they say they don't have time to do that. If getting fit is really important to you, then make working out a priority. Put it on your schedule as short study break and just do it. Even when you have tons of homework, 30 minutes to an hour is really not going to make or break anything.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm taking 19 credits this semester, but I am a non-traditional student and single mother. I try to exercise some in the mornings before class and some in the evenings around dinner time. But I totally understand how hard it is to find time! The weekends are a great time to get in some serious fitness. . . but it may affect your social life. If your school has a gym, try to make it in there right after school, then go do your homework afterward. That is what I did my first year. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I took a morning aerobics or even water aerobics class. It was before my regular classes, and I got a nice wake up. The water aerobics was with a group of elderly ladies, but it was still a fun workout. Maybe check into this on the rec center schedules. It was also free, since I was a student.