How many calories should each meal be?

Options
13»

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Mmm just broke my fast with an almost 1k calorie meal (I'm around 1500/day)

Love it :)
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    This week I usually had a 3-400kcal breakfast, and a 4-500kcal lunch; that allows me to have some snacks during the day and a sufficient-though-not-too-much dinner, and to stay under my 2000kcal limit :tongue:

I like how you know its kCal... not many people know that. Labels all put "Calorie" because kiloCalorie scares people.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have read you all say eat what you like and make up for it at the gym but does that really work? I can be really good, exercise loads and put weight on. I'm a big eater of fruit so I think the sugars were keeping me from hitting my goals but I still exercised loads. I am just confused by the whole thing!

Not sure where you saw that but I don't think that's what anyone said. The gist of the conversation is that how much you eat at any one time is determined by preference and gym performace. That doesn't mean eat what you like and make up for it at the gym. It means take in the calories and macronutrients in your plan whenever you want in a day. If you like to eat 6 times or just one big meal to get your calories for the day, do it the way you want. The timing and how you divvy up you goal calories is irrelevant in terms of any "rules" or weight loss advantage. Simple really.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i've read places that meals should not be larger than 300 calories but it's hard to eat that little per meal and feel full... tonight i had an 800 calorie dinner once all the fruits were counted up that i ate along with dinner (i decided to eat a large dinner bc i was feeling really weak and cramped at the gym). geez... so how many calories do YOU think each meal should be, personally?

also how many calories ARE your meals?

About 300 cals per meal but I never eat that many for breakfast....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • Krystle7136
    Options
    My situation is a lilttle different since im a night worker so my day everyda begins at midnight which will be like a snack instead of a meal like cambells soup under 200 calories. I work out at 3:00 till 4:45 everynight 5 nights a week my breakfast usually is under 400 calories...breakfast is very important!!! I usually sleep through lunch and get up around 4 or 5 and dinner is always under 500 calories. A snack before work at 10:30 and a coffee which is under 300 for the two. So im always under 1200 calories and im losing 2 pounds a week. Individually you have to find what works for you! But 200+ mins of exercise and strength training per week and nevever skipping breakfast and count those calories...you cant go wrong!!!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    100% up to you. I eat one meal a day that's 1000-1300 calories, and use the rest for snacks.