Need some encouragement and real friends!

Options
Hello all! My name is Amanda. I am 24 years old and have been struggling with my weight since I was 11. I have been "obese" to "overweight" to "fit" to "obese" again. I have been yo-yoing ever since I can remember. I just want to beat this once and for all! I have what you call..thyroid disease. Ever since I had a total thyroidectomy, I have been gaining weight. I had surgery in 2010 to remove my thyroid and since then have gained over 50 pounds. I feel ugly. I hate going out anymore. I do not like taking pictures and I even leave the light off in the bathroom so I don't have to look at myself in the mirror. My self-esteem has hit it's all time low. I am just hoping I can find some friends on here that can help cheer me on. I do not have much support at home and seem to lose my confidence in any kind of weight-loss very fast. I want to do this for me and my son for the long haul. So please feel free to invite me to be your friend. Lets do this together!

Replies

• VerucaSult
    VerucaSult Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your a mom! You have strength you haven't found yet. You can do this! I've been a yo-yo for years and at 40 its finally working.... slooowwwly... but working! Chin up! If you need some support you can add me!
  • want2lose20now
    want2lose20now Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hon, my heart breaks for you. Please dont be so hard on yourself! I too have thyroid issue's, but weight loss is possible. Does your doctor have you on the correct dosage of synthroid? You CAN do this! It is not a diet. It is a life style change and commitment to yourself that you will eat healthy, exercise, and see your doctor! You deserve it! Take care of yourself!
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you want some support, you can add me. I'm twenty-four, though I'm not a parent, and don't have thyroid problems. My self esteem isn't the best, but I do like to try to cheer up other people. I like to read and I love to talk and hear about other people, so if you ever need someone to rant to or commiserate with, I can at least offer an ear there.
  • totalhealth12
    totalhealth12 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda,
    You are going to find this site extremely encouraging! Tonight I just rejoined after stupidly going off for 2 months. I can't say enough good things about MFP! Friend request coming your way.:smile:
  • keeponsteppin
    keeponsteppin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow. yesterday is gone and tomorrow we are not promised,So today I choose to eat right and exercise. Give 100%. You can do this. It is a life style not diet. it may help to prepare and log meals ahead of time and stick to whats on your menu. if you slip as we all do pick yourself up dust off your knees and keeponsteppin........Good Luck.
  • phatchick1988
    Options
    I can relate! I always thought that the weight gain was from my thyroid but tests always comeback normal. I guess I have a slow metabolism. My last child was born in 08 and I can't use that excuse anymore for the weight gain. I don't buy clothes anymore because I too feel ugly in pretty much everything I wear. My wardrobe is pj bottoms and t shirts. My husband deserves for me to dress up for an evening out but that is the kicker for me. I look like a balloon in a dress! Not only that I have an odd shaped lower body so jeans are hard to buy. With all that said, maybe we could team up and support each other through this.